Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - late November

Paul

Posted

Winter is just around the corner now, so this thread is getting busy. Please keep it to the models in here though, there are numerous other topics for discussing other aspects of the weather. Please also keep it friendly and bear in mind that not everyone has to be hunting for cold in here, so if someone posts about something other than cold weather, it doesn't automatically make them a troll!

As ever, please hit the report button if there's a post you think may cause an issue due to being off topic, out of line or against the forum guidelines in any way.

If you're not wanting to discuss the models, here are some alternative threads:

Autumn: Moans, Ramps and Banter
Winter speculation and chat
Record breaking wet Autumn?
Join the CET guessing competition for 2019/2020
Stratosphere and polar vortex watch

Interested in teleconnections and their impacts?
Head to the teleconnections discussion

If you're wanting to learn more about the weather and meteorology, it's definitely worth taking a look at our new Learning and Research area.

Model Output And Charts On Netweather:
UKV (Extra subscribers)
GFS
GEFS Ensembles
ECMWF
ECMWF EPS
NetWx-SR (3km)
NetWx-MR (9km)
Met Office (UKMO)
Fax
GEM
GFS Hourly

Model Comparison
Golbal Jetstream
Stratosphere

• Like 4

Posted

Certainly the 0z Suite of charts may be indicating a HLB around Greenland in 19 days time , certainly bottling up some great potential there that may lead to Somme great ( if eye candy only ) Boom charts , but as ever more runs needed and watch for a SW spoiler 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

New thread just in time as the GFS 06z rolls out. Will it continue with interesting eye-candy charts for the cold hunters?

• Like 4

Posted

My fears confirmed from yesterday on the gfs 06z!!the low in the atlantic dont slide enough and neither does it deepen enough to send a ridge through the atlantic so we cold feed is cut off quicker and flatten things out!!lets see if we get another bite of the cherry as always lol

Posted

Well the chart at 144 is a little bit of a let down, let’s see if the secondary  WAA happens 

D7D2FAAC-D7C3-4719-9A49-EB1D17D9A3CF.png

Nope - I’m hoping this run is an outlier and the ENS support the ECM type scenario. Oh the roller coaster that is Winter in thIs forum!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

6z GFS at the the 130 HR mark sips in a low pressure heading west?hopefully it's not a spoiler

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, shaky said:

My fears confirmed from yesterday on the gfs 06z!!the low in the atlantic dont slide enough and neither does it deepen enough to send a ridge through the atlantic so we cold feed is cut off quicker and flatten things out!!lets see if we get another bite of the cherry as always lol

Yes, the timings of these spawned lows from the NW can have subtle changes and that effects the placement and timings of the mini-ridges that will send warmth to the Griceland wedge. First attempt compared to the 0z fails to pump up the wedge from the Atlantic:

0z gfseu-0-168.thumb.png.d525ffec378c5aaab56624996388e786.png 06z 70409230_gfseu-0-162(1).thumb.png.33f001df6050c923aa9634fd4e70b48b.png

Delaying the pattern at the least...

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

Yes, the timings of these spawned lows from the NW can have subtle changes and that effects the placement and timings of the mini-ridges that will send warmth to the Griceland wedge. First attempt compared to the 0z fails to pump up the wedge from the Atlantic:

0z gfseu-0-168.thumb.png.d525ffec378c5aaab56624996388e786.png 06z 70409230_gfseu-0-162(1).thumb.png.33f001df6050c923aa9634fd4e70b48b.png

Delaying the pattern at the least...

Yup i think me and you both know how this is most probably going to end!!!standard stuff these days!!!anyway over to the 12zs!!!

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

Yup i think me and you both know how this is most probably going to end!!!standard stuff these days!!!anyway over to the 12zs!!!

...yes, variation on the theme, just the wrong variation in the medium term. See where FI goes with this plot.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, swfc said:

6z GFS at the the 130 HR mark sips in a low pressure heading west?hopefully it's not a spoiler

The only consolation is that the 6z GFS is the worst performing GFS run of the day and the GFS is the 3rd/4th best model.

I'll wait for the GEFS before getting to bothered.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

...yes, variation on the theme, just the wrong variation in the medium term. See where FI goes with this plot.

Already flatter at 204 hours!its as if the models have got this real big issue of amplifying things in the medium to long run but come reality its nothing like!!!dunno what it is happens every year!!!

• Like 2

Posted

strange looking run this.Bet anything it’s miles out from actual reality.Looks junk to me.

Wiill save this run and see how far it actually was from reality.

Posted

The issue is at days 4/5/6, the low coming through the states is fast and the low in the atlantic stays in situ, meaning they phase, and when they phase its game over for the Greenland high that time. ECM and the 00z kept them separate 

gsf phase.png

Posted

Awaiting the 6z is unreliable cannon fodder posts unfortunately what this shows is very plausible we’ve seen this many times over the years with lows phasing together over the Atlantic. Not saying it will happen but I’d lean more towards that than a massive Greeny ridge.

739CEC58-9EAD-4788-9627-CBF5D75E41FA.png

• Like 5

Posted

so you would choose the gfs over both european models at that time-scale.

we will see later who was nearer the mark. I know where my money would go.

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

The vagaries of getting UK cold, I wonder which one will verify?

0z: gfs-1-288.thumb.png.e938aa7dded31b94ac6ae8847b2c71c8.png

06z: gfs-1-252.thumb.png.5af05fac86fcea2b476d60d5dfb7c378.png

You couldn't make it up!

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Remember the age old commentary for the 06z if it goes off on a tangent V the Euros its generally fit for the bin.

Today is no exception, I think ive made the same post regarding this run for the past 7-8 years. 06z & less so 18z are generally bin fodder unless they stay close to the general theme.

I dont get why every year we go through the same emotional rollercoaster until the first Euro comes out.......

FOLLOW THE UKMO- I would bet my house that for NW europe it is the most accurate of the big 3 at 120 & 144

Just for clarity your placing the 06Z OP run in the bin that would sit comfortably within the range of options of all publicly available Ensemble output from all publicly available model?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, IDO said:

The vagaries of getting UK cold, I wonder which one will verify?

0z: gfs-1-288.thumb.png.e938aa7dded31b94ac6ae8847b2c71c8.png

06z: gfs-1-252.thumb.png.5af05fac86fcea2b476d60d5dfb7c378.png

You couldn't make it up!

Possibly somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

Posted

We need to keep grounded for a while yet. This maybe a little sobering but compare the 00z gfs mean at day 10 with the 06z op for the same time. 

Screenshot_20191122-103652.png

Screenshot_20191122-103717.png