Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Music from Cold Winters

Posted
24 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

This is part of my life.....

Oddly this Prince song reminds me of December 1995. I was coming home from visiting my Nan on Christmas Day 1995. The deep blue skies, slight covering of snow enough to make everything white and this was playing on the car radio. It stuck in my head

• Like 2

Posted

This is a very surreal thread .... I sometimes see images in my head of deep snow filled vistas and then realise that there is a seventies tune on the radio ..... but if you asked me what time of year the song was from without me hearing it, I wouldn’t have had a clue ..... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
4 hours ago, knocker said:

This in 1963 because it reminds me of a cold wooden hut in Antarctic (aka the met office on the Salisbury Plain) and freezing my cobblers off. Oh happy days

Antarctica? Wow

that blows everyone else out of the water

I ve always loved music and associate certain significant times with certain tunes. I have other ‘winter songs” I may add later. Good that there are like minds

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted

When you think of winter songs your first thought is often christmas music, as it dominates the start of the winter at least, so my memories of winter songs tend to be more associated with those that were in the charts in January and February.

Jan/Feb 91 - 3 AM Eternal by KLF and Seal - Crazy spring to mind

Jan/Feb 96 - Babylon Zoo - Spaceman

Dec 96 - Robert Miles - One and One, Toni Braxton - Un-break my heart

Dec 09/Jan 10 - Lady Gaga - Bad Romance, Jan/Feb 10 - Owl City - Fireflies

March 13 - Bastille (forget name of song)

These were songs that seemed to be everywhere at the time.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Elton John - Song for Guy - remember this being on the radio as we drove to Cheltenham in snow

Christopher Cross Arthur's Theme - think because we went to the cinema to see the film - hilarious 

Bucks Fizz - Land of Make Believe 

and this ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhocSCSZzk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Saw Crocodile Dundee, at the MK Dome, on January 12th 1987: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Hate to admit it, but Phil Collins, You Can’t Hurry Love. Had to google it as I couldn’t place when, but it’s definitely snow related. Was released in Nov 82, so I guess at some point that winter... I was 6. 

The other one, which again is embarrassing and I had to google, is Too Shy by Kajagoogoo. This was released in Jan ‘83, so must have had a few lots of snow that winter! 

Although I dislike these songs, they have a very strong association with snowfall for me (even though I couldn’t remember exactly when - but I was only 6!). I don’t think this thread is odd at all. 

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

When you think of winter songs your first thought is often christmas music, as it dominates the start of the winter at least, so my memories of winter songs tend to be more associated with those that were in the charts in January and February.

Jan/Feb 91 - 3 AM Eternal by KLF and Seal - Crazy spring to mind

Jan/Feb 96 - Babylon Zoo - Spaceman

Dec 96 - Robert Miles - One and One, Toni Braxton - Un-break my heart

Dec 09/Jan 10 - Lady Gaga - Bad Romance, Jan/Feb 10 - Owl City - Fireflies

March 13 - Bastille (forget name of song)

These were songs that seemed to be everywhere at the time.

I remember those 90s songs, but lost interest in the mainstream by the time we got to 2008-2012 winters.

Another Brick in the Wall always reminds me of Christmas and new year/ early January 1979/1980, but that winter wasn’t a cold one.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Hate to admit it, but Phil Collins, You Can’t Hurry Love. Had to google it as I couldn’t place when, but it’s definitely snow related. Was released in Nov 82, so I guess at some point that winter... I was 6. 

The other one, which again is embarrassing and I had to google, is Too Shy by Kajagoogoo. This was released in Jan ‘83, so must have had a few lots of snow that winter! 

Although I dislike these songs, they have a very strong association with snowfall for me (even though I couldn’t remember exactly when - but I was only 6!). I don’t think this thread is odd at all. 

I thought jan 83 was very mild, wasn’t it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I thought jan 83 was very mild, wasn’t it?

That’s very possible (like I said I was only 6..), and my memory may be related to the year after? These are all radio memories, and I’m sure these songs would have been aired frequently a year later...  

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Elton John - Song for Guy - remember this being on the radio as we drove to Cheltenham in snow

Christopher Cross Arthur's Theme - think because we went to the cinema to see the film - hilarious 

and this ....

Land of Make Believe is a good one that reminds me of 1981 too

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Always remember working on the farm in the bitter winter of 1986.It was 6 in the morning and I had heard a Madonna song had just missed out on No 1 position but I had never heard it.I always remember that first time I heard 'Borderline' one morning when I went to start the tractor and it came on the radio and it will always remind me of that bitter cold of Mid February 1986

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Snowycat said:

and this ....

Ah yes! Waiting for a Girl Like You, reminds me of early January and cold weather. I tend to like listening to it during the festive and new year period.

• Like 2

Posted

That East17 song “Stay another Day” is another for 1995 though I have a feeling it came out the previous winter. In 1995 it started snowing here on Christmas Eve and by Boxing Day there was an even 6 inches. This freeze last until the New Year.

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
5 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Think you will associate these songs with the cold snowy February of 1983, both were number one round that time.

• Like 1