Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

In terms of weather - what is the dullest month for you?

Eskimo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

So, I had a think the other day and I concluded that November, for me, is the dullest. I haven't quite got used to those very short days and it's typically quite a wet and breezy month with extensive fog. That or April...

Here's how I deduced that November was my worst month: 

January - Snow chances, bitter cold ❄️
February - Snow chances, bitter cold ❄️
March - Snow chances, cold ❄️
April - Thundery April showers, noticeably stronger sun ☀️?️
May - Warmth, thunderstorms ☀️⛈️
June - Hot, thunderstorms ⛈️
July - Hot, thunderstorms ⛈️
August - Hot, thunderstorms ⛈️
September - Indian Summer (as rare as it is) ☀️
October - Ex-hurricanes 
November - erm… 
December - Snow chances, bitter cold ❄️

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted

Weatherwise, I find September the most trying month.. yes we can have lovely spells of dry warm sunny weather, but with the ever weakening sunshine, extreme heat chances quickly ebb away, and a day with sunshine in September and temps in the 20s never has the same feel as one in May-August. It is a month characterised by 'benignness', the first autumnal storms can happen, but increasingly we have had to wait until October. Also there is always the chance of first frost, but again usually not until October. Its a month that doesn't know if its summer, or autumn.. 

In general feel though, I must admit November for some people is a very miserable month, the low light levels, the ever increasingly damp dank atmosphere, and promise of many more weeks of darkness. Often too early for any meaningful snow or cold if you like that sort of thing, more usually just grey and wet. January can be equally depressing, but far higher chance of cold crisp frosty snowy days..

If it wasn't for christmas, overall I would rank December as most depressing month though.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

For me, generally its May. It's the end of the football season, but you can guarantee the weekends will be wet, and one of the bank holidays will be be wet or just meh. 

November can be the same. Just a dark dank month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For me it would have to be the mid October to mid December period, especially when it is literally dull. This autumn has been quite trying at times because of lack of sunshine.

Down here, September and early October can still be very pleasant, especially in more recent years where October has often been drier and more settled than September. September can still provide convective interest with thunderstorms e.g. 2016 (heatwave type) and 2017(rPm and Pm type). By mid October though, it really does feel like autumn, and by November the best of the colours have often gone or been blown off. Perhaps the pinnacle of dullness is from mid/late November to mid December when it's more likely to be Atlantic-dominated than any other time. 

December really depends on whether we get stuck in a SWerly. Pretty much any other wind direction brings more interesting weather. I'm even a fan of the 'faux cold' as it's termed, especially around Christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

December! Carries so much festive baggage with it weatherwise that it never lives up to lol

”I’m dreaming of a wet/green ( delete as appropriate) Christmas “ anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here it is April...winter is not quite over and spring hasn't started..often cold and dull ...temps still hovering around freezing for most of the month... by April i just want some warm sunshine and see some green.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Have to say November, it's in between October which can be an extended summer month in one way or another, and December which is... Christmas month. 

October can be pleasant and warm, October 2018 if I remember correctly wasn't a bad month with plenty of days in the high teens / early 20s that allowed for some pleasant cycling weather. It gets pretty depressing after the clocks go back though. December feels better, I think due to the 'festive spirit' despite usually being stuck under a mild southwesterly with 12C and overcast skies all month, but hey ho.

Posted

I thought about it the other day and decided to rank the months from worst to best in my opinion.

1. January

2. February

3. December

4. November

5. October

6. March

7. September

8. August.

9. April.

10. July

11. June.

12. May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Worst: November, drab dreary and wet, although I do like the fog and crisp mornings

Best: February, for chance of severe cold and snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

November for me too. Too late in the year to get any warmth, and too early in the winter season to get anything really cold. It's just usually cool, wet and windy.

Best month for me would be July. Peak summer. Bliss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For me, the misery starts when the clocks go back and only ends when snow covers the ground; though, in many recent years, the clocks going forward again, has come first!

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

I first wanted to say November for all the reasons everyone else already stated but I changed my mind. I have no expectations for November but for December and January I have bug they almost always fail and turn into dark wet mild somber months instead of winter fun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Probably December and January here with Oct/Nov not far behind but then it's the central belt so it's usually dull. 

Surprised so many people are saying April or May, those are usually the sunniest months up here, May regularly has more hours of sun than any of the summer months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

1) January - rarely anything other than weatherless (to me) - perma dark, grey lids, mostly dry with boring temps, post Xmas depression, miles from any bank holidays or extra light, just awful.  Bonus if there are storms or snow but my part of the country doesn't often deliver

2) November - almost the same as above, except some festive cheer around the corner to get me through

3) December - Same but slightly less bad

4) February - same but getting a little lighter and Spring is within reach, spirits lift a little

5) September - end of summer, not quite true Autumn, normally a benign, nothingness month. Again.  Sensible day length though.

6) July - Endless dry days and heatwaves without much in the way of storms anymore to release all that heat and humidity.  Always struggling not to break into a sweat everywhere i go and awful sunrise times waking me up too early.

7) March - Often a nothing month, still too chilly to do much outside and too early for proper convection, often too late for meaningful cold.  Drab but at least the nights are a lot lighter.

8 October - not too bad, getting to Autumn proper (still not as cool as the old days!) temperature wise, bright colours on the leaves, lots of fruit to collect, still not a bad month to be outside and about and the occasional wind storm if you're lucky.

9) August - end of summer so slightly depressing but still warm and enough light to get out and about.

10) June - best month of summer as generally still not too hot but always warm enough to be outside and may even get a bonus storm once every few years. 

11) April - Fantastic month, the weather can do anything, snow, thunder, warmth but not too hot, full of potential, things starting to grow again, light levels perfect.

12) May - best of them all - similar to April (although less chance of snow!) except now there is proper thunderstorm potential and the good part of the year ahead is still there to live with all that potential too. The month I'm most upbeat and optimistic.

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1

Posted

January for me, especially if its dull and wet. A cold snowy January is a completely different kettle of fish of course.

Can't say I'm a big fan of June and July as it's peak hayfever season which is a killer for me. 

On balance though, a mild/wet January is just the pits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
On 14/11/2019 at 09:16, weirpig said:

Cant stand May.    Worst season is Spring  and this puts us right in the middle of it.  Boring.   

how very odd.... spring, boring?.. strange ..

mid august to the end of september for me.

summers over, its 'pretend' summer , early autumn.. plants are shabby, birds are quiet, nights drawing in, butterflies finish, summer flowers over, no more summer NIIIIGHHHTTS .. just downhill to crimbo, dark, cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Worst: Would probably be January. Much as I enjoy the snow and cold, once Christmas is through, the continued short days make it a month that just heaves by. Getting up for work while it’s still dark feels depressing. It’s especially hard-going when the weather is cloudy, wet and gloomy. Not as bad personally if the weather is cold and dry, mild and dry, or cold and snowy. Still my least favourite month, though.

Favourite: Would be May. The longer days, the blooming of flowers, and all the pretty colours of gardens and the countryside, makes it a relaxing and enjoyable month. The warmer weather makes being outdoors comfortable (even though it could get quite hot in May). Also my personal favourite time of year to go for long walks. 

• Like 1

Posted

Any month that is hot and dry is the dullest for me. I much prefer wet and windy over wet and dry.

• Like 2

Posted
On 14/11/2019 at 09:16, weirpig said:

Cant stand May.    Worst season is Spring  and this puts us right in the middle of it.  Boring.   

I have to agree with you May is my least favourite month although thunderstorms that come up from the south brightens it up a little (quite literally too) :oldgrin: but November and January are my joint favourites. 

Edited by jordan smith

Posted

It’s a close call between October and November. Generally dark, often wet, usually cloudy, usually windy, mild most of the time, no chance of heat, very little chance of genuine cold and snow. I’d say overall October is worse because as with this year you can get lovely frosty days, and as with 2010 it can be very cold in November. Overall the absolute worst month of all time, probably and certainly hopefully never to be beaten in my lifetime was December 2015. Living in the western Lake District at the time I don’t think I saw a single ray of sunshine from mid November onwards. And it rained, every single day it rained practically none stop heavy rain. I became an expert in judging the depth of streams across roads. On top of that it was by a distance I think the mildest winter month of all time in terms of temperature and amount above the average. It was 16 degrees, day and night, regardless of the time. Horrendous. 

• Like 1