HerneBayWX

Start of February 1956 Cold Easterly/BFTE

Anyone know any more info on this event?

Saw this picture of Herne Bay Seafront completely frozen up with the timestamp of 2nd Feb 1956.

Had a little look on the reanalysis charts and it seems like a very cold easterly.

If anyone could shine some info on this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

image.png

image.png

Remember it quite well.

Woke about 4am with the sound of hail on the windows and roofing. I had an attic bedroom.

Lived in a little village near Retford in Notts.

By  the time I woke up 7:30, still  snowing but shortly afterwards it stopped with about 6-8inches of flat snow on the ground.

Went to school (5 miles) on bus.

During the day the wind  got up to galeforce. I remember watching the snow blowing around in the playground and forming drifts.

Went home early at about 15:00 on the bus.

Snow blowing everywhere!!

As soon as we got off the main A1 road the side roads were blocked.

It took me 2hours to do the last 2 miles through drifting snow, on foot.

Watched the weather to see what had happened when I got home......

The low heading for Naples on your chart had undercut from west of N Ireland and was being pushed by the incredibly strong easterlies further south. The anticyclone took over.... and the temps had dropped to -3C by midday.

Lowland blizzards were the worst I had seen (and that included some  vague memories of 1947), but the drifting commenced after the snow had stopped as the strong easterly became established.

If I was not  already hooked by this event   I was afterwards, it was certainly interesting for me as a 12 year old.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

8 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Remember it quite well.

Woke about 4am with the sound of hail on the windows and roofing. I had an attic bedroom.

Lived in a little village near Retford in Notts.

By  the time I woke up 7:30, still  snowing but shortly afterwards it stopped with about 6-8inches of flat snow on the ground.

Went to school (5 miles) on bus.

During the day the wind  got up to galeforce. I remember watching the snow blowing around in the playground and forming drifts.

Went home early at about 15:00 on the bus.

Snow blowing everywhere!!

As soon as we got off the main A1 road the side roads were blocked.

It took me 2hours to do the last 2 miles through drifting snow, on foot.

Watched the weather to see what had happened when I got home......

The low heading for Naples on your chart had undercut from west of N Ireland and was being pushed by the incredibly strong easterlies further south. The anticyclone took over.... and the temps had dropped to -3C by midday.

Lowland blizzards were the worst I had seen (and that included some  vague memories of 1947), but the drifting commenced after the snow had stopped as the strong easterly became established.

If I was not  already hooked by this event   I was afterwards, it was certainly interesting for me as a 12 year old.

MIA

Haven't really seen much on this February event. I feel it's forgotten & wasn't really documented widely. 

Yes a forgotten month.Subzero for a week in the east in the 3rd week and one of only 8 subzero months in 120 years

An exceptional cold wave this one. 

At Southampton the temp dropped from 8c at 8 am to minus 2c at midday on the 31st Jan 1956.

12 hours ago, HerneBayWX said:

Anyone know any more info on this event?

Saw this picture of Herne Bay Seafront completely frozen up with the timestamp of 2nd Feb 1956.

Had a little look on the reanalysis charts and it seems like a very cold easterly.

If anyone could shine some info on this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

image.png

image.png

I posted an article on this about 11 years ago but the links are now broken.

The maximum at Kew was just -4.4C on the 1st February 1956

Ross-on-Wye's and Bristol's maximum  that day was just -5.6C 

8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I posted an article on this about 11 years ago but the links are now broken.

The maximum at Kew was just -4.4C on the 1st February 1956

Ross-on-Wye's and Bristol's maximum  that day was just -5.6C 

Ah ok. Thanks for letting me know, I'll try & find it. Seems very much forgotten though!

I too remember this event. The lane through the village where I lived at the time ( only about 9 miles from where I am now ) was completely filled with snow 8 feet deep, the drifts burying our garden hedge and stretching 30 feet or more  into the garden. I was very young and the drifts looked absolutely enormous.