Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into November 2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

GFS 06Z 30-11-19 10 dayer snow line at 1200ft transient event with milder air from the SW though.

I've looked at FI  but not going to post........

h500slp.thumb.png.bd2df2dc8c159ead81abeea6f4b6ebd8.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Next weekend potential for some wintery conditions more of a northerly wind.

Below average temps.

Eastern areas seeing frequent showers 

Winter tyres on in preparation. 

19112906_2006.gif

20191118_141759.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
2 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

It's all looking very interesting towards month end wrt to a pattern change. 

Suggestions of a northerly have been showing up on a few runs. I thought maybe a short lived one at first as the trop. vortex moved across towards Siberia with Atlantic ridging moving in after. 

Now though with continuing wave attacks on the vortex from both sides we are seeing a building trend for Greenland blocking later on. 

This along with the Siberian placement of the pv promises a greater chance of a more notable cold outbreak.

Some interesting outputs coming out now that's for sure. 

to add to this all models do have this greenland area with promise of heights.

and as you rightly say the pv is on the ropes with ongoing wave attacks.

this morning both gfs models backed of from a strat event not completely.

one run later its strengthened i've had a look at nasa model the jma and nav gem on the strat side of modeling all theses have not strat event but then they don't go out as far as the more main models.

now there is however warming going on not substantial but more in the form of wave breaking which is nice to see.

i've been strongly onside of the wedge into southern greenland.

possible that these heights may increase further and that neg nao and ao could well plummet into december.

especially if we get a warming event in the strat.

• Like 2

Posted

Day 8 from the ECM, GEM and GEF. All decent but the ECM looks best with regards heights towards Greenland and a really good chance of a potent Northerly. I’ve stayed pretty confident of a cold end to the month over the last week or so so today’s switch towards that has been nice, will we keep the trend, lose it, or open the Arctic doors on the 12z I wonder. Fingers are crossed.

9E394E2C-762E-4E73-B6A6-9F810E89F4A5.png

CC3B9FDD-BD6F-480E-82A6-F0515E514C70.png

EA2CE06F-DA87-48D8-9B41-C6ACB7AF3E95.png

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, Georgina said:

Fantastic post for a learner Thankyou 

Thankyou You're welcome glad you like them. 

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ignore button..check.

Simple posting for the highly strung- check !!!

A definitive sway to a 'perhaps'- notable outbreak at months end.

And quickly...simply atm.

The oscillation/blocking traits are certainly aligned more favourable, as we approach the upper mentioned period ^^^..

Favourable arming/waa...around the Greenland junction notched up as we gain.

And with momentum CAA also becoming a favourable solution into the NW-Euro part.

Edit:=hope this wasn't of too much gibberish....for some!!!!!

gfs-ens_z500aNorm_nhem_32.png

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Early days but I'm liking the look of where were heading on GFS and especially the UKMO 12z so far Greenland area looks an improvement to me, and is that some trough disruption heading through Italy?

20191120_155417.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

It looks to me like we've had a seismic shift in the model output today, Greenland here we come, here UKMO 12z at T96:

image.thumb.jpg.ea5c559c952b574313d93fb487ae29e3.jpg

And the NAM strat plot from the GFS 0z is significant here too

image.thumb.jpg.6b23792eeecc20192ca5e11789b04dd3.jpg

And what is interesting as well is that if this happens, it is not led by the strat.

• Like 8

Posted

Some useful comments on the EC clusters earlier on - there is some mystery behind how the clusters are composed, but my best guess has always been that the anomaly colours represent the average of the clusters, whilst the 500mb lines show an example of a run from within the cluster - whether I am right or wrong, the best way imo to view the clusters is as a "ball-park figure" rather than something very determinate, unless all clusters are broadly similar.

Looking at the T300 clusters, then, my "ball-park" guide would be that we need to look NW for the behaviour of the ridge, and also SE for the extent of ridging into Europe. NW heights will encourage the PV to drop on the eastern flank. Cluster 5 shows a pattern where NW heights are so strong and extensive through the N Atlantic that a major cold incursion would probably hit the UK. Other clusters, though, maintain stronger heights towards Europe. This makes it much more likely that a colder flow would get cut-off before reaching the UK (not impossible, e.g. cluster 2, which might allow so fairly potent PM air to reach northern parts).  

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019112000_300.

But even here I'm being too detailed. Big picture: heights to the NW are brewing in some shape or form for the turn of the month. Heights to the SE may also form. Cold an option, by no means a certainty, and actually a fairly even chance of a well-below average start to the month or a well-above average start to the month.

• Like 8

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It looks to me like we've had a seismic shift in the model output today, Greenland here we come, here UKMO 12z at T96:

image.thumb.jpg.ea5c559c952b574313d93fb487ae29e3.jpg

And the NAM strat plot from the GFS 0z is significant here too

image.thumb.jpg.6b23792eeecc20192ca5e11789b04dd3.jpg

And what is interesting as well is that if this happens, it is not led by the strat.

Definitely @mikepoole

Trawling through upper/lower dynamical data...the sway Is most certainly on...

I feel some GREAT modelling viewing on on the doorstep...And more importantly....some eventual gains overhead!-

@in real time

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted

Without quoting/commenting via run 2 run..

The gfs this evening getting there...although with the large lobe vortex...any phasing issues around upper Greenland ...should soon become a clearer path through the suites..

And Atlantic ejected waves/systems...Will likely be very short lived features!= leaving open access 'further in that domain.

All is good...very good as we stand!!

gfsnh-0-180.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

We have a split flow over the Gin corridor area just where we want it,i feel a better run/upgrade coming,

gfsnh-0-222.thumb.png.7ffa01d6d1c6f0787a3278f845fd7072.png

also of late(into fl on the gfs/gefs) there is some bizarre movements over the NH,not your default west>east movement,prob due to the warming maybe?

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 5

Posted

Could be better, looks like it could get better, and -10c uppers still into Scotland. Looking Fwd to the ENS on this run, might get Scotland into the -5c mean region for the first time - albeit still 9 days out!!  

64292853-9CF9-45F5-97B2-C7DD25D45C74.png

7C74F631-F46C-48BA-8DF1-CF281093C77F.png

Posted

Through next week the gfs is all about running troughs around the vortex; establishing the Greenland ridge and then the energy distribution with the main arm across the Atlantic

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z300_speed-4769600.thumb.png.83373927e7e4346ce3c2df3e11e7501d.pnggfs-deterministic-nhemi-z300_speed-4856000.thumb.png.0adb4203c2088aedf5a3b255063c202d.pnggfs-deterministic-nhemi-z300_speed-4942400.thumb.png.6ae8a8d72f9d426f3f902a243ce4c37e.png

1960384895_144.thumb.png.c20bb82c7a13acdd3160d4fe52c2f94c.png168.thumb.png.86be3b881062806562716a8c2b78f244.png192.thumb.png.821064ae28803dc1063b46ed66212b84.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Interesting output so far today, has something shifted to take us away from the persistent +NAO from around 2012/2013 until earlier this year? Few ideas going around solar activity now more or less at solar minimum and this is turn is allowing for more impact on trop & strat, especially with the progression to a EQBO not expected till January. Consistency key as always here.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

We have a split flow over the Gin corridor area just where we want it,i feel a better run/upgrade coming,

gfsnh-0-222.thumb.png.7ffa01d6d1c6f0787a3278f845fd7072.png

also of late(into fl on the gfs/gefs) there is some bizarre movements over the NH,not your default west>east movement,prob due to the warming maybe?

No proper split flow however, you want part of the jet going through the Labrador sea through Baffin bay and then back down the other side of Greenland, with the other part going under, that's when we get the super Greenland highs. Let's see if we can squeeze out this pattern enough to get the proper cold to the UK

• Like 1