Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into November 2019

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Will the ‘ridge’ hold from Russia to e Canada or will the Russian vortex extend its influence south to meet the Atlantic troughing ?

if the ridge holds then expect more of the same but the core of the wet further north as the jets gets further north with the slight easing of the block to our east (and more importantly the troughing to our south)  ....if the vortex punches through then we could get a mean northerly flow or sou’wester ...... yeah , not so clear cut then! 

Thanks Nick, explains why we're seeing the models apparently flip-flopping at the medium range. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, beng said:

Thanks Nick, explains why we're seeing the models apparently flip-flopping at the medium range. 

I'm sorry that's rather above my pay grade could you explain that in simple terms please

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

I'm sorry that's rather above my pay grade could you explain that in simple terms please

Simply that small variations in how the models are handling the distribution on energy in the jet are likely resulting in big changes to the predicted surface patterns at the moment. Hence the rather large change in the ECM medium range output this morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Looking at the latest ARPEGE overview picture, this appears to dig the trough more acutely than the other main models by Mid-week and would allow much of England and Wales to dry out. Yesterday, the lesser known Indian Model showed this  scenario that would in the later time span lead to another low formation over SW Europe which could again move north towards the British Isles bringing more wind and rain especially to the South East next weekend with a surface flow still from the continent or North Sea , albeit with uppers not that cold , surface temps will still be chilly. Maybe one to watch.

C

overview_20191117_00_102.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, beng said:

Simply that small variations in how the models are handling the distribution on energy in the jet are likely resulting in big changes to the predicted surface patterns at the moment. Hence the rather large change in the ECM medium range output this morning.

I agree bur this always applies in a complex evolution as I have attempted to point out in many posts, and it doesn't just apply to the ecm. But I fail to see how the future possibility of a trough descending into Europe associated with the movement of the vortex explains this as it has been going on for quite a long time

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

How about this to wake up to. Best warming in the strat yet,

image.thumb.png.4bdaf6d0e075d7bad75fc6ea414c0a44.png

image.thumb.png.3c805c17332673bd5605859d9d4fdfb0.png

It always at T+384 though and never gets any nearer. If we get these charts at sub 300 hours then it might get interesting

• Like 3

Posted

Day 10 on the GEM holds interest for coldies, if it wasn’t for that little disturbance near Newfoundland then winter would be on its way!! 

15BBDA37-F1BE-482A-ABEB-BDA186454C78.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
24 minutes ago, beng said:

...for  most on here, these changes in surface conditions really do not deliver the nirvana of a cold plunge. The differences are more to do with how rainy it will be. I do not see any changes to the NH cold flow and bearing in mind the great synoptic this month and the total absence of FI "boom" charts, it does suggest that no matter what small changes occur with the main pattern, cold is elusive. The models are very inclined in FI to show us some cold and snowy charts (with the right back story), so the lack of such, is telling IMO.

• Like 7

Posted

Back to looking at 10 day charts and beyond which never verify,in hope for something colder.

Usual setup coming to fruition as we head into the actual winter months again,lol

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

It always at T+384 though and never gets any nearer. If we get these charts at sub 300 hours then it might get interesting

Give it time, its only just started showing a warming that strong so you need to wait a couple of runs, will probably downgrade slightly on the 6z as it did yesterday, i am not that hopeful of an SSW this early as i would imagine more pros would be making more of it on the forums, would be interesting to see the mountain torque charts.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Day 10 on the GEM holds interest for coldies, if it wasn’t for that little disturbance near Newfoundland then winter would be on its way!! 

Not backed up by its ensemble suite though unfortunately.

image.thumb.png.ab96cf0ac575eadf64aa0bd56132c407.png

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not backed up by its ensemble suite though unfortunately.

image.thumb.png.ab96cf0ac575eadf64aa0bd56132c407.png

Agreed, but if (a very big if ) this GEM pattern was correct at day 10 then it would be day 12/13 before we’d see the cold. Hopefully an improving picture for coldies today though.

Really, I think off the back of the Strat warming  is where we next need to be looking, towards late Dec. Anything before then is always a bonus though. 

• Like 3

Posted

It would appear my hope of the Euro heights taking over and drying the UK out have nosedived over the last 48 hours.

EC 144 looked OK potential wise image.thumb.png.e403cac345360da7252096233e8edfb8.png

But ends with very poorly

image.thumb.png.7f78d3729a610a877fe3140255512a5d.png

It would have been nice to see a cold high during November, one of my favourite months..clearly,that ship has sailed.

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear!:cray:

There's nae much sign of a PPE (purple people eater) paying us a visit, any time soon...On the contrary, the future looks orange!

Never mind...it ain't even winter yet!:search:

No.......................

Or is there????

image.thumb.png.5502e01f19d96f2eda9942e6ca8290ea.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

JFF but in FI the NH profile on the GFS 06z screams surrender by the tPV, primed to be shredded with the right attacks:

1855073525_gfsnh-0-336(3).thumb.png.b5fc2989df99c48da4a8593e35272721.png

Whatever the disappointments of November for the UK, reaching December with the above profile remains a bonus. Usual caveats apply.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Bit of a dog's dinner on the 6z GFS.more mobile later on and I guess late autumn nothingness from a colder perspective.

• Like 1