Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into November 2019

Posted

Not bad, HP positioned well in NW Russia, cold air heading under that towards the U.K, and decent over Greenland . But a little tricky to decipher near the U.K. to my amateur eye!! 

32F30421-D394-498E-99CE-845C9C6712CF.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The low in the North sea is a real pain..

Looks ok at 168 hrs?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
8 minutes ago, booferking said:

Watch all 3 lows come together boom.

Yep !!! Ah well on to the next one .better heights tho towards Greenland tho than the 6zand then it vanished

Edited by swfc

Posted

Quite an unusual scenario .

One low moving north as another shortwave moves se between day 6 and 7 . This interaction  and pivot isn’t really what we want to see but before it unravels there could be some snow for higher elevations in the north .

Overall it looks very messy and complicated . At the moment we have a chef as in some good background signals with some high quality ingredients making a very average looking meal .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

At least the 12Z operational run is on the warm side of the bunch...Thank you, God. For very small mercies!

prmslLeicestershire.png   t850Leicestershire.png

t2mLeicestershire.png   prcpLeicestershire.png

Desperate times call for desperate measures!:yahoo:

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

At least the 12Z operational run is on the warm side of the bunch...Thank you, God. For very small mercies!

prmslLeicestershire.png   t850Leicestershire.png

t2mLeicestershire.png   prcpLeicestershire.png

Desperate times call for desperate measures!:yahoo:

Best set for a while with plenty cold ones in that lot. Looking at the pressure graph FI is in around 5 days.

• Like 2

Posted

Gem shows a more blocked scenario towards Greenland and Scandinavia next week with the jet stream continuing to be south compared to what you typically expect although slightly milder next week according to the Gem..

1765831853_EUROPE_PRMSL_192(2).thumb.jpg.2ae7693836c70805cb7da8fccda1e806.jpg

335346069_EUROPE_PRMSL_240(1).thumb.jpg.59f8832b5b533fd5fcd13eede8787966.jpg

The Gem continues the wet signal upto 10 days the accumulated rainfall depicts a northwest southeast split quite well but pretty unusually the south and east wetter than the Northwest.. :oldgood:

1709427513_EUROPE_PRMSL_RAINACCUM_240(3).thumb.jpg.1943be8565f708722f8b53ca2b286f3e.jpg

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

I must be the only one then that looks at these chart and walks off satisfied. Anyone hunting wall to wall snow in November needs to read their history.

But in theory this thread is not about hunting wall to wall snow or arctic plunges in November, or any other time come to that, but simply discussion of the model output, irrespective of people's inclinations.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Unnecessary comment removed.
  • Like 9

Posted

Little constructive to add to previous comments regarding the ext mean EPS anomaly. Still a squeeze across the Arctic courtesy of the anomalous vortex lobe and Euro ridge, albeit the latter has slightly adjusted it's orientation. That adjustment ensures that the energy running east beneath the trough is a tad further south before it diverges over the UK courtesy of the ridge  Ergo systems will tend to track south east before running out of momentum leading to a tricky surface analysis with temps around average

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-4769600.thumb.png.f415bbc84473cc37162ff4439b87118b.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-t850_anom_5day-4769600.thumb.png.680df27ddc8c9c7aacef174f28ebc76f.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-uk-t2m_c_anom_5day-4769600.thumb.png.22ae68e9fd2bf3271f7dbee92190471c.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

image.thumb.png.35c63a6ed436b104dbe88027126ab44f.png Here some interesting info for the Coldies. If this comes to fruition then no + NAO and a wintery spell coming. 

• Like 9

Posted

Well... after a busy year so far, I haven't been on here much and whilst I've not really been keeping up, I have been watching the CFS for general long-term trends, some of which have been spectacular for (northern hemisphere) winter. What's the general consensus? 

Posted

ECM for Thursday showing the rain to become very slow moving in similar areas that I showed in a earlier post this morning showing some sleet or snow to higher ground perhaps.. then pushing northwest into the flood effected regions before slowly fizzing out..

Screenshot_20191112_210328_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.8b8693a317dbbe6d4f9e9835b141c182.jpgScreenshot_20191112_210330_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a56f94efea02758ec158cde9fff31fc6.jpg

Screenshot_20191112_210331_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.aff2896b5033a23225d4750c41cfe02e.jpgScreenshot_20191112_210332_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.8e64f23b1906cbfac1d579fb70cd64e6.jpg

Screenshot_20191112_210334_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.50f01cb452c37b4136ec2dac70f4cd28.jpg

Then more rain is shown to push in from the southeast on Friday night into Saturday much like the Gfs shows.. 

Screenshot_20191112_210337_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.322936ddbffb5fe958c8ddb9bbea7f87.jpgScreenshot_20191112_210339_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.25789c8def0cf8c80ffdd783e2968592.jpg

Screenshot_20191112_210340_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.5f0826c01463c67a1ef15bf5219a0ec1.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
28 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Well... after a busy year so far, I haven't been on here much and whilst I've not really been keeping up, I have been watching the CFS for general long-term trends, some of which have been spectacular for (northern hemisphere) winter. What's the general consensus? 

Hi bobbydog!  In a nutshell and shamelessly copied from a post I made recently in another thread:

• All long range models giving a highish probability of a mild winter.
  • Low solar activity at solar minimum, which the models apparently don't deal well with, this should lead to a more meridional jet. 
  • Big strat trop disconnect forecast to continue for the foreseeable.
  • SSTs in Indian Ocean favourable for increased westerlies (as per MO Contingency Planners forecast and discussion in teleconnections thread).
  • Possibility of an early SSW.
  • Low arctic sea ice.  

Other than that, it's wet.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
21 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

More of the same for the foreseeable, we are in a bit of a stuck pattern at the moment, one full of trough domination stalling over the UK, with the azores high floundering far to our SW, and heights building to the NE, locking it into place. A cold unsettled outlook for everyone, lots more rain in places that don't want any more unfortunately. Cold and frosty in the north at times, with snow on higher ground throughout.

Into next week, the trough pattern doesn't look like changing anytime soon, but with heights setting up stall to our NE, and perhaps in time sinking south, we could end up with more of a southerly flow wrapped within low pressure/trough features, meaning something a but milder (only average though), with probably just more rain. If you like trough domination - then you will liking November 2019!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Catacol said:

I must be the only one then that looks at these chart and walks off satisfied. Anyone hunting wall to wall snow in November needs to read their history.

The pressure differential between Greenland and Scandy on those charts is pretty good for vortex disruption when combined with the Aleutian low in the North Pacific. November is nothing but a setup month - no low ground product in terms of snow is realistic. In addition the pattern is effectively blocked, and people need to realise that a block creates a more meridional flow that promotes warm flows from the south as well as cold flows from the north. The fact that the Scandy anomaly helps pull warm air up over the UK is part of life in this part of the world at this time of the year. The pattern is not one of raging zonality, the strat/trop disconnect remains in place at least for now, and vortex stress looks likely.

Winter doesn’t start for 3 more weeks, and realistically doesn’t really kick in until mid December which is 5 more weeks. If you need to cheer yourself up in the search for snow try reading up about the Feb 18 reversal that led to that beastly spell. The Atlantic preconditions are not dissimilar and while every patten is unique we are certainly in with a chance of a cold outbreak this season. Just don’t expect it in November and don’t expect it to last all winter. 1963 was unique and a year I don’t think we will see repeated for as long as the world continues to warm.

The most sensible, realistic and on the money post that has been written on here in many a moon.

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Hi bobbydog!  In a nutshell and shamelessly copied from a post I made in another thread:

• All long range models giving a highish probability of a mild winter.
  • Low solar activity at solar minimum, which the models apparently don't deal well with, this should lead to a more meridional jet. 
  • Big strat trop disconnect forecast to continue for the foreseeable.
  • SSTs in Indian Ocean favourable for increased westerlies (as per MO Contingency Planners forecast and discussion in teleconnections thread).
  • Possibility of an early SSW.
  • Low arctic sea ice.  

Other than that, it's wet.

Hi Mike, in my experience, long range weather forecasts are often 'revised' at short notice... 

From what I've seen, the teleconnections are a little 'unusual' this year. I don't expect this winter (or the next...) to conform to our usual expectations... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean is looking pretty unsettled longer term and also trending less cool / milder, more so than the 0z.

EDM1-240.thumb.gif.e5a869aa2f2d2824e721e37f5fa76f23.gifEDM0-240.thumb.gif.38326bcb63bf1eb88234479a299fd93e.gif

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 3