Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
23 minutes ago, knocker said:

Come to that nor the previous two gfs runs. Oh my god

Seems knocker that folk are jumping the gun again,it's that time of year

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

Actually swfc in NW parlance it's known as 'hypers leap' very often followed by the 'downgrade trip'

I have to agree with this unfortunately as only from one set of runs this morning I do think it's a bit hyped up in here 

You need to near cross model agreement before anything else or some folk are going to be dispointed

Not to mention it's somewhat in the median/long term a lot of things can change for the better or worse 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

I agree Steve...

Late Nov to Late Jan is my preferred zone, the shorter days/weak sun being critical.

6z rolling.

Late Jan - mid March for me when the Bristol Channel is at it's coldest, that for us here on the coast is often a 'make or break' to whether it'll be snow, sleet or just the plain old rain

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

It doesn't seem logical take to take the 0600 out of context with the previous two runs and the the ecm  After all it was only the other day when you stated 'bin the 0600' because it didn't agree with your preferred outcome.

I certainly wouldn't forbid people getting carried away

Have to agree that the evolution of gfs week 2 NH profile seems way too progressive for over analysis ......thank goodness it’s only just November ! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As anticipated, the GFS 06Z Op. has lurched toward the colder side of the ensembles, once again. Where are the swingometers!:oldgood:

prmslLeicestershire.png    t850Leicestershire.png

t2mLeicestershire.png    prcpLeicestershire.png

Given what transpired, last year, I am surprised how Day 10 charts are still awarded such credibility...? But, they are interesting nonetheless!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

With the GFS "snowmaggedon" upgrade we have in effect a de facto ECM D8-D10 scenario with GFS FI going through this winter. There will be a lot of despondency if we take these literally, but based on the GFS new version (nGFS) last year, it did over-hype potential blocking/cold so it may be prudent to await cross-model support before we get too excited.

We can see from the GFS 00z to 06z that the yellows ML-HL have been watered down suggesting it was over-doing that warmth heading north. The 06z ensembles suggest that further downgrades in that respect will follow.

Of course, this may be the onetime the nGFS is not over progressive in FI. Certainly looking past D8 on nGFS is going to be interesting this Winter if nothing else!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, IDO said:

With the GFS "snowmaggedon" upgrade we have in effect a de facto ECM D8-D10 scenario with GFS FI going through this winter. There will be a lot of despondency if we take these literally, but based on the GFS new version (nGFS) last year, it did over-hype potential blocking/cold so it may be prudent to await cross-model support before we get too excited.

We can see from the GFS 00z to 06z that the yellows ML-HL have been watered down suggesting it was over-doing that warmth heading north. The 06z ensembles suggest that further downgrades in that respect will follow.

Of course, this may be the onetime the nGFS is not over progressive in FI. Certainly looking past D8 on nGFS is going to be interesting this Winter if nothing else!

Not sure i follow, the GFS is known for a Westerly powerful Jetstream bias, which is the definition of progression.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not sure i follow, the GFS is known for a Westerly powerful Jetstream bias, which is the definition of progression.

It depends on where we are, if there is a defined westerly flow, it tends to be over-progressive, but since the new version, it is over-progressive with the blocking features (as possibly in this case?) when it spots a pattern change. These are of course unintentional "bias'", but there never the less.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

3 minutes ago, IDO said:

It depends on where we are, if there is a defined westerly flow, it tends to be over-progressive, but since the new version, it is over-progressive with the blocking features (as possibly in this case?) when it spots a pattern change. These are of course unintentional "bias'", but there never the less.

To clarify, I used the word ‘progressive’ in relation to the direction of travel and not limited to a westerly flow return where its usually referenced 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

Right - sorry, you mean progression as in terms of timeframe of a pattern change as opposed to progression and retrogression meaning Eastward and Westward movement of air masses.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Possibly could be the case !

Heres the 06z AO run.

Sadly I have no final figure as its off the scale.

5EE4ABF4-A358-4EE1-97B9-9A597FB220F5.thumb.jpeg.036f7c53e79dd459f98a279e7e558997.jpeg

Unbelievable - wouldn't have thought it would have beaten the 0z but it has!

6z

image.thumb.png.d344a91b4bc1f5288b6f0f0fb5e4296d.png

0z

image.thumb.png.721b6f725bd599f4772599a93c8f2189.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 8

Posted
23 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

To clarify, I used the word ‘progressive’ in relation to the direction of travel and not limited to a westerly flow return where its usually referenced 

...me to!

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Right - sorry, you mean progression as in terms of timeframe of a pattern change as opposed to progression and retrogression meaning Eastward and Westward movement of air masses.

..yes, sorry about that, using layman's terminology when maybe more technical wording would have been open to less misinterpretation! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

ao tanking bit like 09/10.

looking at past tanked ao,s there is no doubt with low solar output and teleconnections coming together seem to influence the onset of cold winters.nao.sprd2.thumb.gif.e157e9b080f8c4f3cb1df1c805ec499b.gifao.sprd2.thumb.gif.68e1cb4fa77af14e89cd19f8f1033efe.gif

but past years look at the tanked ao but to get tanked ao and nao at the same time would increase chances even more.

at the moment both index have a little negativity although this only based on model predictions.

ao-index_122909.thumb.png.5634a3b616c98795810d70ad05bd41c6.png

my money is on continuation of current theme for awhile longer.

if we lose northern blocking i do feel that 2014 wet wild winter.

although northern areas did ok in winter 2014 which was dominated by northwesterly type flow.

but so far its a nail biter good job its not winter yet.

better stock up on prozac and hope we get the infamous strong northern blocking.

so far so good cant wait for the 12z. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Although the Euro and GFS have not been in sync for several days it is interesting that the GFS has support from the UKMO.

At any rate, this kind of chart is insane for the time of year.

spacer.png

• Like 5