Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
damianslaw

Coldest minima winter 2019-2020 season - recordings and thoughts

Recommended Posts

^ We nearly had an ice-day here on Wednesday, only just got above freezing. Fairly early in the season for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

I suspect that -8.1C temperature recorded at Dalwhinnie won't be beaten anytime soon.

I'm not so sure. This coming Sunday, Monday and Tuesday all look pretty cold by night with lowest temperatures around -7'C or so. Wouldn't take much. 

Edited by NorthernRab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to note in 1919 November had already produced an amazing temperature of -23.3 deg which not only was the coldest temp of the season but nothing colder was recorded before and after for a 60 year period.[1940,1910 joint] 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- 8.6 °C at Tulloch Bridge, Inverness-shire last night making it the coldest of the season so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

- 8.6 °C at Tulloch Bridge, Inverness-shire last night making it the coldest of the season so far. 

Well my predictions gone down the pan after just two days.

Kirkcaldys post suggesting a minus 10 tonight. Very unusual temperatures.

I'm terrible at geography, and now predictions,  but does the map that Kirkcaldy posted show the possible -10 around the Grantown area?

 

Edited by Sceptical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2019 at 18:20, Sceptical said:

I suspect that -8.1C temperature recorded at Dalwhinnie won't be beaten anytime soon.

How soon is soon?

Given the continued weakened vortex and the possible SSW early December we could see a significant cold spell in mid to late December which might coincide with the shortest day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

How soon is soon?

Given the continued weakened vortex and the possible SSW early December we could see a significant cold spell in mid to late December which might coincide with the shortest day.

Soon as in last night. And last nights season low looks like being beaten again tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tulloch Bridge was +3.4C at 16:00 yesterday, with a dew point of 2.7C and wind 1.9km/h ENE. At 16:00 today, it was -2.6C and a dew point of -4.1C with no wind at all. Headed for -12C or so, maybe?

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Edit - mind you Aonach Mor is -6.7C at 16:00. That could be headed for -15C, maybe! (Granted it's over 1000m.)

WWW.OGIMET.COM

 

Edited by Aleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Tulloch Bridge was +3.4C at 16:00 yesterday, with a dew point of 2.7C. At 16:00 today, it was -2.6C and a dew point of -4.1C. Headed for -12C or so, maybe?

At this point, nothing would surprise me.

Even the cloud formations of late are unusual. Around an hour ago the clouds were arranged in a train track form that stretched south for as far as I could see. Either side of the formation was clear blue sky. 

Interestingly, the Met are predicting minimum temperatures of -8C tonight for Grampian and Highland regions. Let's see how that pans out.

Edited by Sceptical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Well my predictions gone down the pan after just two days.

Kirkcaldys post suggesting a minus 10 tonight. Very unusual temperatures.

I'm terrible at geography, and now predictions,  but does the map that Kirkcaldy posted show the possible -10 around the Grantown area?

 

Not sure why you think they are unusual,maybe in recent years but historically nothing unusual at all in fact minus 10 deg has all but a hairs breadth been reached as late as mid May and as early as mid October!

Edited by hillbilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Not sure why you think they are unusual,maybe in recent years but historically nothing unusual at all !

Unusual as in the amount of frost days weve had during November so far. I've been at my current address since 2004 and can only remember 2009/10 and 2010/11 being comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Unusual as in the amount of frost days weve had during November so far. I've been at my current address since 2004 and can only remember 2009/10 and 2010/11 being comparable.

I am well south of the border but I remember 1985 and 1986 being very frosty,particularly 1985,i believe there hasn't been a colder November since,i don't know what it was like up there.

With a quick look at Breamars records,both 1985 and 1993 had plenty of air frosts in October and November but yes it could be a bumper season.

Edited by hillbilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I am well south of the border but I remember 1985 and 1986 being very frosty,particularly 1985,i believe there hasn't been a colder November since,i don't know what it was like up there.

With a quick look at Breamars records,both 1985 and 1993 had plenty of air frosts in October and November but yes it could be a bumper season.

Milder weather is forecast from Wednesday onwards for this region. November might come out as average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I am well south of the border but I remember 1985 and 1986 being very frosty,particularly 1985,i believe there hasn't been a colder November since,i don't know what it was like up there.

According to the records 15 air frosts here (or at least nearby here at the airport at sea level) with around 10 ground frosts and a lowest minimum temperature of  -10°C. So almost every single day producing a frost - it was a cold one! 

Struggling to find data for Dalwhinnie, Loch Glascarnoch, Altnaharra and so on though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

According to the records 15 air frosts here (or at least nearby here at the airport at sea level) with around 10 ground frosts and a lowest minimum temperature of  -10°C. So almost every single day producing a frost - it was a cold one! 

Struggling to find data for Dalwhinnie, Loch Glascarnoch, Altnaharra and so on though. 

Excuse me asking this, but, it seems odd to have more air than ground frosts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Excuse me asking this, but, it seems odd to have more air than ground frosts?

Not at all! Do you mean that air frosts include ground frosts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ground frosts do occure with air temperatures above zero C. Air frosts only occur when the air temperature is below 0 C, thus why ground frosts are more frequent than air frosts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Ground frosts do occure with air temperatures above zero C. Air frosts only occur when the air temperature is below 0 C, thus why ground frosts are more frequent than air frosts.

Ah yes I see what you mean, sorry. For clarity, it looks like there were around 25 ground frosts with 15 of those being air frosts. Does that make more sense? 

Edited by NorthernRab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally southerly and NW-SE wavy jet.

Hopefully a SibHP/ScandiHP combo retrogress in February 2020? Light E/ENE winds in Scotland.

Dalwhinnie -19c

Edited by senior ridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good chance somewhere will hit the -10 degree mark in the early hours of the morning, a much colder day than yesterday so starting off from a lower base figure. Aboyne, Braemar, Tulloch Bridge, Aviemore - one of these spots probably. 

It has been a very frosty November so far in Scotland.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't rule out Shap, already at  -5.3C at 20:00. A few of the Scottish stations have risen from 19:00 to 20:00 as a slight easterly has picked up and disturbed the cold pooling, perhaps. Tulloch Bridge jumped from -6.2C to -3.2C.

Edited by Aleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...