Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima winter 2019-2020 season - recordings and thoughts

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@damianslaw also an ice day on Wednesday 

and a few others in the north of Scotland also reported an ice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ We nearly had an ice-day here on Wednesday, only just got above freezing. Fairly early in the season for that. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

I suspect that -8.1C temperature recorded at Dalwhinnie won't be beaten anytime soon.

I'm not so sure. This coming Sunday, Monday and Tuesday all look pretty cold by night with lowest temperatures around -7'C or so. Wouldn't take much. 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just to note in 1919 November had already produced an amazing temperature of -23.3 deg which not only was the coldest temp of the season but nothing colder was recorded before and after for a 60 year period.[1940,1910 joint] 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 2

Posted

- 8.6 °C at Tulloch Bridge, Inverness-shire last night making it the coldest of the season so far. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

- 8.6 °C at Tulloch Bridge, Inverness-shire last night making it the coldest of the season so far. 

Well my predictions gone down the pan after just two days.

Kirkcaldys post suggesting a minus 10 tonight. Very unusual temperatures.

I'm terrible at geography, and now predictions,  but does the map that Kirkcaldy posted show the possible -10 around the Grantown area?

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
On 15/11/2019 at 18:20, Sceptical said:

I suspect that -8.1C temperature recorded at Dalwhinnie won't be beaten anytime soon.

How soon is soon?

Given the continued weakened vortex and the possible SSW early December we could see a significant cold spell in mid to late December which might coincide with the shortest day.

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

How soon is soon?

Given the continued weakened vortex and the possible SSW early December we could see a significant cold spell in mid to late December which might coincide with the shortest day.

Soon as in last night. And last nights season low looks like being beaten again tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

Tulloch Bridge was +3.4C at 16:00 yesterday, with a dew point of 2.7C and wind 1.9km/h ENE. At 16:00 today, it was -2.6C and a dew point of -4.1C with no wind at all. Headed for -12C or so, maybe?

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Edit - mind you Aonach Mor is -6.7C at 16:00. That could be headed for -15C, maybe! (Granted it's over 1000m.)

WWW.OGIMET.COM

Edited by Aleman

Posted
41 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Tulloch Bridge was +3.4C at 16:00 yesterday, with a dew point of 2.7C. At 16:00 today, it was -2.6C and a dew point of -4.1C. Headed for -12C or so, maybe?

At this point, nothing would surprise me.

Even the cloud formations of late are unusual. Around an hour ago the clouds were arranged in a train track form that stretched south for as far as I could see. Either side of the formation was clear blue sky. 

Interestingly, the Met are predicting minimum temperatures of -8C tonight for Grampian and Highland regions. Let's see how that pans out.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Well my predictions gone down the pan after just two days.

Kirkcaldys post suggesting a minus 10 tonight. Very unusual temperatures.

I'm terrible at geography, and now predictions,  but does the map that Kirkcaldy posted show the possible -10 around the Grantown area?

Not sure why you think they are unusual,maybe in recent years but historically nothing unusual at all in fact minus 10 deg has all but a hairs breadth been reached as late as mid May and as early as mid October!

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Not sure why you think they are unusual,maybe in recent years but historically nothing unusual at all !

Unusual as in the amount of frost days weve had during November so far. I've been at my current address since 2004 and can only remember 2009/10 and 2010/11 being comparable.

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Unusual as in the amount of frost days weve had during November so far. I've been at my current address since 2004 and can only remember 2009/10 and 2010/11 being comparable.

I am well south of the border but I remember 1985 and 1986 being very frosty,particularly 1985,i believe there hasn't been a colder November since,i don't know what it was like up there.

With a quick look at Breamars records,both 1985 and 1993 had plenty of air frosts in October and November but yes it could be a bumper season.

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
55 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I am well south of the border but I remember 1985 and 1986 being very frosty,particularly 1985,i believe there hasn't been a colder November since,i don't know what it was like up there.

With a quick look at Breamars records,both 1985 and 1993 had plenty of air frosts in October and November but yes it could be a bumper season.

Milder weather is forecast from Wednesday onwards for this region. November might come out as average.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

According to the records 15 air frosts here (or at least nearby here at the airport at sea level) with around 10 ground frosts and a lowest minimum temperature of  -10°C. So almost every single day producing a frost - it was a cold one! 

Struggling to find data for Dalwhinnie, Loch Glascarnoch, Altnaharra and so on though. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

According to the records 15 air frosts here (or at least nearby here at the airport at sea level) with around 10 ground frosts and a lowest minimum temperature of  -10°C. So almost every single day producing a frost - it was a cold one! 

Struggling to find data for Dalwhinnie, Loch Glascarnoch, Altnaharra and so on though. 

Excuse me asking this, but, it seems odd to have more air than ground frosts?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Excuse me asking this, but, it seems odd to have more air than ground frosts?

Not at all! Do you mean that air frosts include ground frosts? 

Posted

Ground frosts do occure with air temperatures above zero C. Air frosts only occur when the air temperature is below 0 C, thus why ground frosts are more frequent than air frosts.

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Ground frosts do occure with air temperatures above zero C. Air frosts only occur when the air temperature is below 0 C, thus why ground frosts are more frequent than air frosts.

Ah yes I see what you mean, sorry. For clarity, it looks like there were around 25 ground frosts with 15 of those being air frosts. Does that make more sense? 

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!

Generally southerly and NW-SE wavy jet.

Hopefully a SibHP/ScandiHP combo retrogress in February 2020? Light E/ENE winds in Scotland.

Dalwhinnie -19c

Edited by senior ridge

Posted

Good chance somewhere will hit the -10 degree mark in the early hours of the morning, a much colder day than yesterday so starting off from a lower base figure. Aboyne, Braemar, Tulloch Bridge, Aviemore - one of these spots probably. 

It has been a very frosty November so far in Scotland.

• Like 3

Posted

Don't rule out Shap, already at  -5.3C at 20:00. A few of the Scottish stations have risen from 19:00 to 20:00 as a slight easterly has picked up and disturbed the cold pooling, perhaps. Tulloch Bridge jumped from -6.2C to -3.2C.

Edited by Aleman