Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Medicanes- Cyclones in the Mediterranean Sea

Posted

Deepening eyewall rotating around the center forming a weak eye feature. Dvorak curved pattern, probably a 4.0 though an argument might even be made for nearly 4.5 in terms of the raw number anyway.

Using my 16 years of watching the tropics, I'd hazard this is around 65kts at the moment, maybe a touch less to allow ramp up time.

However I really do hate the term medicane....

This is probably is/going to be a hurricane. I suspect Med countries don't want to have to open a basin in the Mediterranean (currently no one is responsible for this area, despite many weak/moderate systems now being recorded over the last 40 years). my cynical side is its all for tourism reasons which many of those countries depend upon heavily. Not a great look to suddenly be in a location that is at risk of a hurricane. A 'medicane' can just be discarded easier due to less association.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

http://www.livecameras.gr/

Looking at cam pictures 

Left to right

A B C D 

10th Row Kalamata, lightning on that one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Still looks to be strengthening to me, dvorak estimate from myself would be around 4.0, though its edging closer and closer to 4.5 but not quite there yet IMO. I'd say probably looking at 70kts at the moment, one of the stronger storms in the med.

Really do need an agency to start monitering these systems, especially as the med warms due to climate change true warm cored systems are going to become more possible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Holidaying or cancelled in Greece, Medicane Ianos set to bring torrential rain, damaging winds and large waves.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/10474-unusual-mediterranean-cyclone---medicane-ianos-brings-stormy-weather-to-greece

sept17medicaneSat24.png

sept17medicanesatIANOS.png

sept17waves.png

Edited by Jo Farrow
test
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

I've seen a pressure reading of 978mb for Zakynthos overnight, but where the station is based or how low it got,  I dont know. 

So lockdown in the UK has had some benefit in that many of us didn’t go to Southern Greece this summer. My question is: Do you know if anyone has researched the likelihood of a medicane in the Western Med (particularly S. France, Corsica) and Italy (Sardinia) in future?  If so, what were their findings?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Orange warnings remain for parts of Greece and also for western Crete on Saturday from Medicane Ianos. Then weakening in the Ionian sea but continuing to affect southern Peloponnese and Crete on Sunday.  

17th https://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Images/ImageLibrary/DAT_5207482.html 

Whilst Portugal sees landfall of subTropical Storm Alpha, with TS Wilfred out in the Atlantic this next name comes from the Greek Alphabet. (separate thread)

sept18NASAnames.png

sept17medicaneeumetsat.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Insane amounts of rain in central and southern Greece.

Over 200mm in vast areas and even more than 300mm in some places...

3 people are missing and countless homes, roads etc. under water..

One of the most powerful weather systems that have ever been observed in Greece. 

We have seen in the past summer storms with more than 200mm in isolated areas in 24hrs but I can't remember so vast areas recording that much precipitation. 

I thing we will see more and more of these weather systems in the future due to the ongoing positive sea temperature anomalies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

This one has been coming up from Africa since last weekend so not so unexpected.

Posted

Well my good friends in Alykes Zakynthos have been in touch, and whilst they have no electricity in the resort and the water is also intermittent,  they've escaped the worst. Most hotels and business have some damage from fallen trees or coastal flooding but nothing which can be repaired/replaced. 

As expected,  the coastal parts of the South of the island have suffered more- sounds bad down towards Lagunas and Kalamaki and the Airport. 

Posted

Some of the stories coming out of Zakynthos arent funny but are still sporadic due to the lack of power. Hotels in my resort have lost roofs or parts of roofs, no running water, no electric most of the time. 

It's been a dreadful season, first Covid destroyed the UK trade, now this has hit. It's on a par with the Ionian earthquake of 1953 by all account so far but thankfully the death toll is very very low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

The 3 victims(and 1 missing person) are not from the ionian islands that got the direct hit from the medicane, but from central greece(Karditsa) where 500mm was measured in the mountains  and 200-300mm at the plains due to orographic lift and very slow moving storms.. It was just once in a lifetime event there

• Thanks 2

Posted

Alykes pier (or what's left of it). The times I've sat on this looking towards Kefalonia drinking a cold beer watching the sunset I've lost count.  

But it can be rebuilt. 

FB_IMG_1600663519556.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Posted

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

This has been brewing for days, the rainfall levels will be massive

• Thanks 1