Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2019/20

J10

Posted
8 hours ago, Paul said:

Winter proper for Sunshine village

As you mentioned it doesn’t take long - nice turnaround in a few days 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On 13/10/2020 at 11:04, carinthian said:

The snow making team out last night firing up the snow cannons. The location is at the top station of a new Panorama link , The Flying Mozart which will link Wagrian Resort via the Absolut Park to my home base resort of Zauchensee  , which will add for some awesome runs in the Snow Space Salzburg. This area is a real snow paradise and only 1 hour from Salzburg Airport.

C

121104846_3682971558401284_3955767381789852525_o.jpg

Picture of the new Panorama Link lift. All ready for the new season after trial runs.

C

121487851_3492162514182697_3243745630357807232_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

my Easter rebooked  trip to St Moritz is able to go ahead...a long way away and hopefully the snow will come soon

WWW.ENGADIN.CH

Take a look at the Engadin and individual locations and find out more about the current weather conditions via...

• Like 2

Posted

I visited Deux Alpes for the first time last Spring, on a trip which was cut short thanks to Covid restrictions. Hopefully I'll be making a return visit next Spring as the few days we got were very good. It's also looking nice for the start of the season in a couple of days.

• Like 6

Posted

Sunshine village is coming along nicely. There’s been snow everyday for the last week. Not long now 

465F85AF-EF2B-4D71-AA8C-076FCF1C49BA.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

The link between the resort of Wagrain /Kleinarl in the far distance to Zauchansee will be complete for the start of the new season making for a huge addition of runs with-in the Salzburg Ski Welt. Also the snowboard , Absolute Park now one of the best in Europe.  If a link one day to the nearby Obertauern high level orbit resort ever happens, this area  could match other 4 valleys classics.  Maybe will see some more Brits coming out to this top location. The Airport is only 1 hours drive away and the mountain huts offer fantastic value for money ski fodder and Alpine ambience  at its best.

C

122446959_3688608607824298_4021908652102730461_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

The link between the resort of Wagrain /Kleinarl in the far distance to Zauchansee will be complete for the start of the new season making for a huge addition of runs with-in the Salzburg Ski Welt. Also the snowboard , Absolute Park now one of the best in Europe.  If a link one day to the nearby Obertauern high level orbit resort ever happens, this area  could match other 4 valleys classics.  Maybe will see some more Brits coming out to this top location. The Airport is only 1 hours drive away and the mountain huts offer fantastic value for money ski fodder and Alpine ambience  at its best.

C

122446959_3688608607824298_4021908652102730461_o.jpg

Shhhh. I love Obertauern and the relative quiet and lack of Brits. Even though I am a Brit.

Posted
20 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Shhhh. I love Obertauern and the relative quiet and lack of Brits. Even though I am a Brit.

Funny enough David ,my wife is Austrian and she loves Brits !

Posted
29 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Seriously though, we could do wish more Brits. As you say little known region to UK bulk skiers. The Brits would be most welcome, the few that venture for a holiday from what I know of are very polite, never moan or push for the morning lifts and never haggle over the hotel bill, unlike many other folk. So I say more the merrier.

C

• Like 1

Posted

It just keeps better at sunshine. The snow up at Standish viewing deck is looking great. I’ve added a pic of the same view in the summer to give an idea of the amount of snow received in just over a week 

CDC21127-974F-4C10-971F-D8094699E767.jpeg

8241D367-9E5F-43EA-AAA3-563112A6F778.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Paul said:

Have you ever been to Big Sky @Dorsetbred? Is on my wish list of places to visit at some point.

No I spotted it some time ago, and watch with great envy as the season starts, as they have so much natural height here and a huge number of various types of piste, and the season lasts for months...A tricky place to get to I think but certainly a hit with many folks..

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

No I spotted it some time ago, and watch with great envy as the season starts, as they have so much natural height here and a huge number of various types of piste, and the season lasts for months...A tricky place to get to I think but certainly a hit with many folks..

It does look very good, that's for sure. I was looking at driving from Denver at one point, but decided 10 hours was pushing it. Will have to do it one day though!

Posted
10 minutes ago, Paul said:

It does look very good, that's for sure. I was looking at driving from Denver at one point, but decided 10 hours was pushing it. Will have to do it one day though!

My son who lives in Vancouver raves about Big Sky in Yellowstone. He is into boarding and reckons the $CAN200 flight to BNZ is worth it. He goes once a year . He tried the 1000km drive once but would not do it again. About as remote as you can get in the USA. The snow conditions he reckons is the best ever more so than the resorts back in BC around Vernon.

C

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, carinthian said:

My son who lives in Vancouver raves about Big Sky in Yellowstone. He is into boarding and reckons the $CAN200 flight to BNZ is worth it. He goes once a year . He tried the 1000km drive once but would not do it again. About as remote as you can get in the USA. The snow conditions he reckons is the best ever more so than the resorts back in BC around Vernon.

C

I'm not jealous at all! Vancouver is a great city + is just down the road from Whistler, which I think has to be about my favourite place on earth.

Posted
10 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm not jealous at all! Vancouver is a great city + is just down the road from Whistler, which I think has to be about my favourite place on earth.

Aye, certainly is. The Sea to Sky Highway has made a big difference. Just think in just only 90 mins travel time from downtown Van City to one of the best resorts  in the world. When I was last there, I jumped on the local ski bus at the station in Vancouver and had a wonderful day on the slopes for only a few dollars bus ticket.

C

• Like 2

Posted
On 22/10/2020 at 13:20, carinthian said:

Seriously though, we could do wish more Brits. As you say little known region to UK bulk skiers. The Brits would be most welcome, the few that venture for a holiday from what I know of are very polite, never moan or push for the morning lifts and never haggle over the hotel bill, unlike many other folk. So I say more the merrier.

C

I live vicariously through your posts throughout the season Carinthian! Would love to explore that area. I'm a terrible ski-er (even ski lifts have challenged me over 30 years of trying!) but would love to do snowy mountain walks and perhaps the odd easy slope here and there on the skis. So keep on posting those pics, plus all of you chaps/esses who post snowy web cam images, keep it up - I've got my official webcam browser open and ready for winter now so I'm collecting everyone's favourite sites:)

• Like 1