Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2019/20

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
16 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

I live vicariously through your posts throughout the season Carinthian! Would love to explore that area. I'm a terrible ski-er (even ski lifts have challenged me over 30 years of trying!) but would love to do snowy mountain walks and perhaps the odd easy slope here and there on the skis. So keep on posting those pics, plus all of you chaps/esses who post snowy web cam images, keep it up - I've got my official webcam browser open and ready for winter now so I'm collecting everyone's favourite sites:)

Hello again thank you for your post. Hope you can make it over soon. Yes, the Salzburgerland has quite a selection of nice ski villages with traditional ambiance. Several would suit your needs. So if you need any recommendations , please let me know. The Salzburg Sport Welt ski area  in my mind offers the best value for money ski-ing holiday almost any where in the world.  Great value hotels, ski lift passes and mountain restaurants. The Austrian Alps generally record consistent good snow conditions over the past 10 years, especially at resorts around 1000m plus .

C

• Like 2

Posted

121844972_23846495760060716_8991819997069502351_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

A good example shown on this mornings synoptic chart of a convergence of air masses over Pacific Canada Region. Its no wonder the interior resorts of British Columbia produces the most copious and best snow conditions in the world. Maritime flow hitting the Polar Cold block along the Great divide that follows the border of BC and Alberta.

C

2020102613_ca_pac.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Ah me so many memories of skiing, and just wallowed in nostalgia looking at my favourite place and some of the Austrian shots. I am supposed to be going to Wengen in January but who knows with Covid 19 likely to be still causing serious problems, maybe have to change it to the summer when hopefully life will be nearer normal.

Current scene for the start area for the Lauberhorn. Apparently being run without any spectators! 

Oops forgot the link

preview_og.jpg?x=1603724011
PANOCAM.SKILINE.CC

Interaktive 360°-Webcam im Skigebiet Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

Quite remarkably both Mount Norquay (Banff) and Lake Louise are now open. After pretty much continual snow for close to two weeks.

The earliest opening on record for both hills.

So much for my worry 3 weeks ago when there was no snow on the hills. From mid 20’s in early October to skiing at the end. What a strange month.....what a strange year. 

❄️ Let the season begin ❄️ 

Posted
2 hours ago, Coopsy said:

Quite remarkably both Mount Norquay (Banff) and Lake Louise are now open. After pretty much continual snow for close to two weeks.

So much for my worry 3 weeks ago when there was no snow on the hills. From mid 20’s in early October to skiing at the end. What a strange month.....what a strange year. 

Worked a season in Banff and as carinthan says above it's just slap bang the best spot you would put resorts, sunshine can manage to produce fresh powder on some of the driest days 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, na52 said:

Worked a season in Banff and as carinthan says above it's just slap bang the best spot you would put resorts, sunshine can manage to produce fresh powder on some of the driest days 

Couldn't agree more. So many times I’ll be driving from Canmore to lake Louise and it’ll be snowing through the banff area and dry elsewhere. Great spot for a ski hill 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Coopsy said:

There you are Coopsey, The earliest start for 95 years as you report. Banff resorts lead the way.

C

122681394_3687752434581717_8159621597528026058_o.jpg

122861959_3687752417915052_7069093697941478654_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, carinthian said:

There you are Coopsey, The earliest start for 95 years as you report. Banff resorts lead the way.

C

122681394_3687752434581717_8159621597528026058_o.jpg

122861959_3687752417915052_7069093697941478654_o.jpg

Great pics! Those conditions look amazing. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Great pics! Those conditions look amazing. 

I bet and so quiet .

Posted
15 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I bet and so quiet .

Definitely quiet. It’ll be very different this year without the Americans 

Posted
1 minute ago, Coopsy said:

Definitely quiet. It’ll be very different this year without the Americans 

Yes, its going to be strange all over. I think a lot of folk in Europe maybe looking to book a ski-ing holiday late in the season. I am lucky to have lifts on my door step , so getting my ski fix will be no problem  as long as good health permits.  My last visit to Whistler was about 5 years ago and think I picked the best few days of the season . It was stunning and the Peak 2 PeaK Gondala that linked Whistler Mountain to Backcomb was I ride I will never forget, especially as I got on a glass bottom one with views down below of 1500 feet. My son who lives out there was due this weekend to take his family to Tofino on Vancouver Island for a short break but now having seen the snow conditions in Banff fancies a change of plan. But its a long drive from Vancouver City with 3 kids in tow !

C

Posted
20 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Yes, its going to be strange all over. I think a lot of folk in Europe maybe looking to book a ski-ing holiday late in the season. I am lucky to have lifts on my door step , so getting my ski fix will be no problem  as long as good health permits.  My last visit to Whistler was about 5 years ago and think I picked the best few days of the season . It was stunning and the Peak 2 PeaK Gondala that linked Whistler Mountain to Backcomb was I ride I will never forget, especially as I got on a glass bottom one with views down below of 1500 feet. My son who lives out there was due this weekend to take his family to Tofino on Vancouver Island for a short break but now having seen the snow conditions in Banff fancies a change of plan. But its a long drive from Vancouver City with 3 kids in tow !

C

I think you’re right it’s going to be very quiet early in the season. Nice for locals but challenging for the businesses. You’re very lucky to have it on your doorstep. That’s one thing missing from the Bow valley region of Canmore/Banff/lake Louise. 

The Gondola ride sounds amazing, though I think I’d have had other thoughts being scared of heights (it’s a mixed bag of emotions skiing for me lol) 

Coincidentally ive been looking at properties in Torino. Vancouver island is something else. There’s something to be said about the Pacific Ocean. But I can understand his desire to hit the ski hills with conditions the way they are. You're right it’s a long drive at the best of times, though at this present time he might be able to get cheap flights....

• Like 1

Posted

High above the clouds two days ago.

C

123029962_10158069937259139_6786374473216887037_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Nakiska set to join Mount Norquay and Lake Louise as open for the season.

Lake Louise reporting 26cm of fresh snow in the last week. ❄️ 

Surprisingly Sunshine Village announcing  today it needs one more snowstorm before it opens. 

• Like 1

Posted

After some snow this week, Sunshine Village is finally set to join all the other ski hills and open Monday. ❄️

$675 (£400) for a mid week Mon-Fri pass for 6 months of skiing....bargain! 

• Like 1

Posted

Here is a fabulous picture shown in the Snow/Ski Magazine taken in the back country, Jackson Hole Wyo. Certainly lifts the spirits from the gloom and mildest of the present European scene !

C

123621789_10158782229292368_3434796697994494880_o.jpg

• Like 3