Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2019/20

J10

Posted

Not a lot of snow in the Jungfrau region but enough to get one of the snow blowers out on the railway at the station at 6700 ft on the Highest line into the mountain for the Jungfraujoch

image.thumb.png.18f4f780283f3841f9941887798a315a.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Not a lot of snow in the Jungfrau region but enough to get one of the snow blowers out on the railway at the station at 6700 ft on the Highest line into the mountain for the Jungfraujoch

image.thumb.png.18f4f780283f3841f9941887798a315a.png

My favourite  place in the world. Skied there 20 times and was there in October.  There is not as much snow as parts if Italy or Austria but still this is abnormal for Mid November.  The worst I saw was as far back as xmas 1989 when there was no snow at all but for a 100 m piste on the Schilthorn

Posted
Just now, Climate Man said:

My favourite  place in the world. Skied there 20 times and was there in October.  There is not as much snow as parts if Italy or Austria but still this is abnormal for Mid November.  The worst I saw was as far back as xmas 1989 when there was no snow at all but for a 100 m piste on the Schilthorn

I remember that year very well, My second year there and the ski school class I was in had the job of testing a short area of snow on part of a run they made on the Mannlichen. Otherwise it was a bussing job for about 2 hours to another resort. In over 30 years it was the only time there was not a decent cover in mid/late January. And yes just about my favourite place winter and summer. Been using the same hotel every year since 1988!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The southern Alps really have had a great early season dump of snow. 150cms reported in Solda, South Tyrol and you can see the evidence from the image of 2 guys clearing the roof. For those with a Twitter account, you can watch the video @SevereWeatherEU.

1968331771_SoldaSouthTyrol18Nov.thumb.jpg.4eedf0c18188f99236346f916cc6b4af.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Sadly this link suggests some parts of the Alps are going to have much warmer weather

WWW.METEOSWISS.ADMIN.CH

Acting on behalf of the Federal Government, MeteoSwiss provides various weather and climate services for the protection and benefit of Switzerland.

Posted

This link explains why, in spite of a new snowfall there was no skiing last weekend in the Wengen-Mannlichen area

Jungfraujoch-Sphinx-Gletscher-Sonnenunte
WWW.JUNGFRAU.CH

Posted

Stunning photo taken from the top of Pic du Midi in the Pyrenees:

1027834190_PicduMidiPyrenees19Nov.thumb.jpg.47d1c9263cb4d8868eee32f1ae8355c9.jpg

Photo: Twitter @FrenchMountains

• Like 3

Posted

No skiing again in the Jungfrau region as another storm affects the area, with areas being blown clear of snow also occurring.

Posted

A very mild foehn for the last week and mostly dry in the North West Alps, but that should change come Wednesday, without necessarily being that cold (snowline probably around 1500m this week).

• Like 1

Posted

Yes that fits in quite well with the Swiss Met forecast for Wengen showing steadily lowering temperatures from Wednesday and more general snow to lower levels by Thursday/Friday

WWW.METEOSWISS.ADMIN.CH

Acting on behalf of the Federal Government, MeteoSwiss provides various weather and climate services for the protection and benefit of Switzerland.

Posted

And to show serious the storm was, I assume it is storm damage to the cafe/bar behind the start gate for the Lauberhorn downhill races

image.thumb.png.14e875e24b5fbbaa600e787b7879d575.png

Posted

Well, at last, things are opening up, from about 5500 ft it looks so about 5 or 6 lifts, and the cafe bar still not got a proper roof on it after the severe storm last weekend, well just prior to the weekend

image.thumb.png.5a9d285ac441a61ef963a467c1e16fa4.png

some links below

86c0812ca96b5fde_58535108a1d1c23a.jpg
WWW.BERGFEX.COM

Jungfrau Ski Region Grindelwald - Wengen : Switzerland - Jungfraujoch - Live pictures - Webcams - Webcam - Bernese Oberland - Livecam - Cams - Weather camera - Ski resort - Ski area -

• Like 1

Maps from Snow-forecast.com

Some moderate snow in Western parts of the Alps to start the week, with some light snow also likely in North Eastern parts of the Alps.

Turning drier more generally across the Alps for the middle of the week.

Snow Maps Day 0-3                                Snow Maps Day 4-6

image.thumb.png.0afda83c7c04c23af95d110f9ac85796.pngimage.thumb.png.ff46a3c813f2b195b0a94123d26a64be.png

Weather Today - Mid Station                    Weather Tomorrow - Mid Station             Weather Tuesday- Mid Station  

image.thumb.png.1852e7f8d1b6b12fb6a062e1b3b260d7.pngimage.thumb.png.aaae4525adb709284c0197e92fefd7cb.pngimage.thumb.png.da448c4b6ee659125d9689ee1d666025.png

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

30mm+ of rain at 500m today with a snowline around 1000m today. Much more rain in the south of France, which has caused some pretty severe flooding.

The North West Alps haven't benefited as much from the southerly tracking jet, but even so, we look to be having one of the best starts to the season in a while.

• Like 1

Just back from an early season visit to the ‘in laws’ in Zermatt. Like so many resorts it’s been a strong start to the season. Quite a number, but not all of the runs, are opening and there is some really impressive early season snow depths from about Findeln (around 2000m) upwards. Interestingly whilst there has also been considerable snowfall at village level the temperature (1700m ish) has been borderline for snow. (+2 to minus1 being typical) On several occasions whilst we were there it would take several hours of snowfall before it began to settle. I’m guessing being early season the ground/ tarmac just hasn’t cooled as yet with those temps. Saying that though there was around 25 cms around the village centre when we left with a reported metre plus up on the mountain.

One thing I do find interesting is how different resorts deal with snow removal in their village centres. Zermatt operate an almost instant removal policy! On one occasion we went for a drink in Elsie’s bar in 2 inches of snow and came out to see it all but gone. I thought we’d had a heatwave but no the universes best snow removers had ghosted in and out! Other resorts I’ve been to recently such as Levi in Finland leave a good covering. I guess from a snowy romantic winter scene I prefer to see some cover but understand from a safety and practical perspective why others remove it. Especially where, early season in particular, freeze thaw conditions can be the norm.

Interesting season ahead I’m sure. Hope all you heading to the alps have great snow conditions and I look forward to the usual updates from posters. Keep them coming!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

First run and day of the new season. All runs have a decent cover and full lift service in operation. Warm and sunny start.

C

78549830_2850084375004151_2242663700987117568_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

This early morning skier struck gold at nearby Zauchensee , Ski Paradise Resort.  First day of the season also here. This one not a well known resort but believe me its a cracker.

C

78351432_2685684141497209_891248337175445504_o.jpg

• Like 3

A pretty snowy week is in prospect for the Alps, with potentially over 1m of fresh snow possible in some parts of the North West.

Areas around Tignes look likely to see the heaviest snowfall.

image.thumb.png.ea915acfbcb1033f9e22d6fc9742ade3.pngimage.thumb.png.9e8b975405f6146369f05b3b98a70346.pngimage.thumb.png.f8e33c22bcc4040e190667511d15c2a4.png

There is a considerable change in the freezing level, during the week as different air masses go through. To start the week a Polar Maritime air mass with North westerly winds, briefly turning South Westerly midweek with a ridge of High Pressure bringing a Tropical Maritime airmass. By Thursday winds back to westerly with a Polar Maritime airmass with further heavy precipitation edging in as shown below for Tignes. 

Looking at Tignes especially the snow is back ended with the heaviest snow before next weekend.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/mid

image.thumb.png.4a733a8523f5a108a00d168395165574.png

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all. Any thoughts on the week ahead in the French Alps? The Snow Forecast site seems to be flip flopping hugely between freezing levels for next Friday 13th and what could be a really significant early season event. Am I right in thinking that this website uses the GFS model for its data? What's the likely snowline verification folks?

1 hour ago, gareth moo said:

Evening all. Any thoughts on the week ahead in the French Alps? The Snow Forecast site seems to be flip flopping hugely between freezing levels for next Friday 13th and what could be a really significant early season event. Am I right in thinking that this website uses the GFS model for its data? What's the likely snowline verification folks?

I think it does use GFS. I think this is type of pattern where small changes to the overall pattern can make big differences on the ground. I am afraid that we will have a keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Posted
On 08/12/2019 at 20:45, gareth moo said:

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away on hols. You may wish to visit the Meteo France (French Met Office) website. They use their own models (such as Arpege) and not the GFS so are normally more accurate. Follow this link and enter the resort (station) you'd like the forecast for. When the daily forecasts display (they go out 2 weeks) just click on any day to get further detail including snow line and freezing level ISO.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away on hols. You may wish to visit the Meteo France (French Met Office) website. They use their own models (such as Arpege) and not the GFS so are normally more accurate. Follow this link and enter the resort (station) you'd like the forecast for. When the daily forecasts display (they go out 2 weeks) just click on any day to get further detail including snow line and freezing level ISO.

http:

//www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne

Many thanks Malcolm.

Hoping for an early season powder skiing treat over the Christmas week at La Plagne. Fingers crossed that the ill-placed predicted HP South East of the Alps doesn't verify next week!

• Like 1