Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire Dales Weather Next Week

Posted

Hi all...

I am fortunate enough to be having a holiday in the Yorkshire Dales next week... We are staying in Leyburn and i was wondering if there was any chance of some dusting over the hills? Im guessing no... 

I wonder if anybody knows how early there has been dustings before?

Jake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
18 hours ago, Jake March-Jones said:

Hi all...

I am fortunate enough to be having a holiday in the Yorkshire Dales next week... We are staying in Leyburn and i was wondering if there was any chance of some dusting over the hills? Im guessing no... 

Jake

Posted

I'd say some of the higher fellsides have better than 50-50 chance of a brief snow cover through October, Leyburn itself is reasonably high up too.
More realistically it would be surprising if one or two mornings didn't have a touch of frost.
Here on the moors the average 'days with snow falling' this month is probably about 2, with light snow cover expected perhaps slightly less than one day on average.
Having said that Leyburn on Met Office site shows around 10-12C most days with cloud and light rain at times so you are out of luck, the final week this year looks more promising at the moment. 
Hawes further up the dale is  degree or two cooler with minimums of 3 or 4C some days - that's low enough for sleet over some of the higher passes like Buttertubs.

Posted

This indicates a snow risk on Friday night at the end of your stay over 500m, although this will likely change. If it does show signs of snowing while you're up (or in other weather), the A66 is a breathtakingly scenic and moody drive.  From Leyburn, you could do a circular though Reeth to the Tan Hill then back east on the A66, call in at the very popular Mainsgill Farm Shop before you come back on the A1 and/or through Richmond (or maybe do the reverse). You should see snow on this route if there is any about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
On 14/10/2019 at 19:31, Jake March-Jones said:

Hi all...

Jake

Pint in the Black Swan?

Posted

The question was asked a week ago and it has been snowing on lots of high ground in Scotland. It has warmed an odd degree there since yesterday when snow was coming in at modest heights along the NW coast. The coldest strip has moved further south. It's currently only 5.0C in Dublin and 4.9C in Scarborough and below 0C atop the Pennines. BBC showed a little snow on the northern edge of the front on highest ground of northern England. A degree cooler and there would have been widespread snow. So, not a "white-out" but closer than some forecasts you get a week ahead of time and our original poster might well have seen a little snow if he took note of the advice given in answer to his question

Edited by Aleman

Posted
45 minutes ago, Aleman said:

The question was asked a week ago and it has been snowing on lots of high ground in Scotland. It has warmed an odd degree there since yesterday when snow was coming in at modest heights along the NW coast. The coldest strip has moved further south. It's currently only 5.0C in Dublin and 4.9C in Scarborough and below 0C atop the Pennines. BBC showed a little snow on the northern edge of the front on highest ground of northern England. A degree cooler and there would have been widespread snow. So, not a "white-out" but closer than some forecasts you get a week ahead of time and our original poster might well have seen a little snow if he took note of the advice given in answer to his question

There hasn't been a lot of snow falling across the Scottish mountains this week. A quick review of the webcams will confirm this.

What part of Scotland do you live in?

Edited by Sceptical

Posted

Radar has shown lots of snow showers on higher ground Friday and overnight - first on middle to high ground in NW Scotland and then following the cold band of air down the western coast, to include parts of higher ground in Ireland and Northern England, including the Northern Pennines.  Warm, soaking ground means it was not going to settle in most places but the original poster had a good chance of seeing snow if he went across the A66 to the Tan Hill Inn last night, as suggested a week ago on the back of model output that seemed unlikely but turned out not so far off. 

Edited by Aleman

Posted
14 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Radar has shown lots of snow showers on higher ground Friday and overnight - first on middle to high ground in NW Scotland and then following the cold band of air down the western coast, to include parts of higher ground in Ireland and Northern England, including the Northern Pennines.  Warm, soaking ground means it was not going to settle in most places but the original poster had a good chance of seeing snow if he went across the A66 to the Tan Hill Inn last night, as suggested a week ago on the back of model output that seemed unlikely but turned out not so far off. 

You're not based in Scotland are you?

The A66 is in England.

Check out snow on the Scottish mountains thread or the regional Scotland thread. The reports on there suggested a dusting of snow across the mountains.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted

That's SETTLED snow. I've been watching it come in on radar over a couple of days.  It's hardly going to settle on soaking wet, warm ground when it's been coming in as showers.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
1 hour ago, Aleman said:

That's SETTLED snow. I've been watching it come in on radar over a couple of days.  It's hardly going to settle on soaking wet, warm ground when it's been coming in as showers.

That's odd,given the snow that fell Thursday evening did stick. The Lecht car park had snow cover when I viewed the various ski resort cams on Friday morning. 

A cursory glance at Nevis and Glencoe today clearly shows snow cover, albeit patchy, for both resorts.

Snow will stick in the Cairngorms during summer months.

Posted

Radar showed more snow FALLING at middle levels in numerous places down the Western coast yesterday evening down to odd showers on Cumbria and the Pennines and a little more has SETTLED on the Scottish mountain tops. It was still Saturday. I still think it was a good call from the model a week beforehand.