Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2019

Posted
4 minutes ago, booferking said:

If i look out my front door and see 8 inches of snow on the ground like that morning in 2010 i know what i will be calling it.

An hallucination?  

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Coldest since 2010 wouldn't that be hard to achieve given that it only has to be 4.7C to do it.

I recorded a colder day than that in London. I’m sure it was only 2-3c max. I remember it being very cold.

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

2004 here was last true white Xmas

No, parts of the country had white Christmases in 2009 and 2010, but 04 was the last one where snow fell on the day I think. Also 2001 was white in places, but the last one to have snow in London was all the way back in 1981, with 1995 and 2000 as near misses, as snow fell a couple of days after Christmas. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

White Christmas?...almost laughable now, it's been so long since a proper white Xmas anywhere, more chance of a BBQ one. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

No, parts of the country had white Christmases in 2009 and 2010, but 04 was the last one where snow fell on the day I think. Also 2001 was white in places, but the last one to have snow in London was all the way back in 1981, with 1995 and 2000 as near misses, as snow fell a couple of days after Christmas. 

To be fair he did say last ‘true’ white Christmas, which means snow actually falling not just on the ground 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
35 minutes ago, Freeze said:

To be fair he did say last ‘true’ white Christmas, which means snow actually falling not just on the ground 

Mind you, I know I'd like to have plenty of lying snow in brilliant freezing sunshine on the big day rather than nothing sticking and a few flakes falling. Just my personal opinion, but an 'official' white Christmas isn't always great. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Sorry but if you want to go all technical and that we had a white Christmas 2009 NI from a weather front pushing in against the already cold condition's that had set in the weeks before.

Temps on the big day were really cold in mid-ulster -5 freezing fog for most of the day before the system came in i can remember it fondly

Snow_St_9
WWW.BELFASTTELEGRAPH.CO.UK

The prayers of thousands of men, women and children were answered yesterday as Northern Ireland had its first white Christmas in five years.

snow-article_1549403a.jpg
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Britain has had its first official white Christmas for five years after snow fell in at least two parts of the country.

archives-2009-12-25-12-0.png

Edited by booferking
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Seasonality said:

Mind you, I know I'd like to have plenty of lying snow in brilliant freezing sunshine on the big day rather than nothing sticking and a few flakes falling. Just my personal opinion, but an 'official' white Christmas isn't always great. 

Being on the south coast of England I would agree with you, but falling snow always an added bonus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Never knew this thread was about still. well last white xmas for me was 2017. it was 13c at dinner 1pm and we had the windows open, by 10pm it was snowing so technically a white xmas, but for me it really has to be a good cover with either ice cold and clear or ice cold and more snow falling.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

Never knew this thread was about still. well last white xmas for me was 2017. it was 13c at dinner 1pm and we had the windows open, by 10pm it was snowing so technically a white xmas, but for me it really has to be a good cover with either ice cold and clear or ice cold and more snow falling.

Remember it well mate!

Technically it was not a White Christmas where I lived at the time but woke up at 10am on Boxing Day to this! Stuck around until the end of the year. (What a great Winter 2017/18 was)

A400A016-1DCD-4C5B-8DA4-4FF9034C0F2A.thumb.jpeg.18b99787433e8c46cabff18682c9c81d.jpeg

D7BED5D5-980C-4198-8341-379E6A4A87FD.thumb.png.945a2659ca4d8ec37b500e1bffced899.png

There was another big snowfall on the 29th.

p05s90zd.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Snow hits the central and southern belts of the country with warnings of strong winds to come.

Hopefully a White Christmas this year for us all! It’s the most wonderful time of the year...:santa-emoji:

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Remember it well mate!

Technically it was not a White Christmas where I lived at the time but woke up at 10am on Boxing Day to this! Stuck around until the end of the year. (What a great Winter 2017/18 was)

A400A016-1DCD-4C5B-8DA4-4FF9034C0F2A.thumb.jpeg.18b99787433e8c46cabff18682c9c81d.jpeg

Hopefully a White Christmas this year for us all! It’s the most wonderful time of the year...:santa-emoji:

yes i remember 17/18 and in particular the pictures of you back garden. even more so during TBFTE....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I remember waking up to a dusting of snow that fell during the night on the 27th December 2017... however it had melted by 9am that morning. Looking at the synoptics charts a mild south westerly flow was replaced by a north / north westerly in the course of a few hours, and it seems it was a rather cold day (not much warmer than 3°C) although it doesn't really stick out in my brain too much.

We missed out on the snow that affected many north of the M4 earlier than month, so it was something I guess lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

1728 hour chart from CFS, Scots/ high levels N England to have a white Xmas, south though yuk, but of course just for fun

cfs-0-1728.png?12

• Like 1

Posted

We had a white christmas in 2010. A surprise snowfall late morning, which lasted about an hour and half, deposited a fresh couple of cms. It was an odd event as we had high pressure overhead and there was no frontal or trough feature. I think it was caused by milder air aloft moving across a very cold bed of air. Boxing Day brought a raw dank feel, we then had a heavy shortlived snowfall from a frontal feature from the west on the 27th, before a thaw took place. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Update 8: No change to the percentage chance.

The eighth update makes no change to the percentage chance of snow in the north and south. 

The latest considerations are:

• Seasonal forecast model updates suggesting a mild and Atlantic dominated winter is favoured.
  • October weather patterns. Unsettled conditions have continued.
  • Recent output from seasonal computer models has generally been pointing towards a milder than average winter. Although seasonal models display a low skill level for the UK they are taken into account.  

Chance of snow on Christmas Day

• North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 14%
  • South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 8%

The Computer says

• It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Scotland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Netherlands

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

As most years, when my thunderstorm dreams turn to what the winter could hold, I too would love a white Christmas. I not asking for a white out, just a dreamy hot chocolate, tree lights on flurry or two. Once Christmas is over I just wait till next year, unless it going to snow enough for a snowday and Bubs off school.

My wardrobes are ready.

2010 was a dream year, although it didn't snow on the day itself we still had fallen snow in the garden and I'm certain we had a wet fall of snow boxing day, as we were eating our dinner then.  Apart from a fall in kent one year when i was very young, it was first time I had seen snowfall in December (not just on the ground)

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Despite my ancient years... I cannot ever remember a White Christmas!

So this year, we’re off to Prague in the hope that we’ll see some restive flakes .... so it’ll probably mean the uk will be blanketed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Update 9: Increased change.

The ninth update makes slightly increases the percentage chance of snow in the north and south. 

The latest considerations are:

• Weather patterns through late October and the start of November.
  • Recent output from seasonal computer models has generally been pointing towards a milder than average winter. Although seasonal models display a low skill level for the UK they are taken into account.  

Chance of snow on Christmas Day

• North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%
  • South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 9%

The Computer says

• Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Midlands
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Netherlands

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

The Computer says

• Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Midlands
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Netherlands

Computer generated garbage. Cold but dry in Midlands and Scotland but too mild in between the two and surrounding these area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Never seen one in 40 years. I'll bet on it being the warmest Christmas day since records began, dry, cloudy and boring here.

Posted
7 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Never seen one in 40 years. I'll bet on it being the warmest Christmas day since records began, dry, cloudy and boring here.

So you aren’t optimistic?

As  the God Of Weather dishes out what he thinks he will give us it seems any weather is in the lap of the Gods. 

We haven’t had an amber weather warning for snow by the Met Office yet so we must be in with a chance. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
1 hour ago, Snipper said:

So you aren’t optimistic?

As  the God Of Weather dishes out what he thinks he will give us it seems any weather is in the lap of the Gods. 

We haven’t had an amber weather warning for snow by the Met Office yet so we must be in with a chance. 

Haha not really! Given the progressive warming each year then generally there has to be less chance. I'd adore to see one though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, James1979 said:

certainly more likely than cold! it's 2019! but my guess is a green Xmas for the south, southerly jet, wet and 5 degrees, snow for the Scots

• Like 1