Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sunny76

Reasons for not looking forward to winter in the UK?

Recommended Posts

It's hardly ever cold enough to wear a winter coat never mind have snow and ice. 

On the plus side, living in a big city is more comfortable in winter than in summer so that's good even in the mildest of winters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

I can see everyone’s points of view as really it depends on where you live in the UK and Ireland.

I am quite lucky to be surrounded by hills/mountains from 98 meters to 1011 meters (All a short walk/drive/ferry) so if snow does not settle at low ground in my street I can easily access a full blown Winter scene - plus I can see some hills/mountains from my window so that also compensates regarding the low ground snow. (Picture below from last Winter)

B7C7DC55-ACB5-4230-802B-8E542A8A09C9.thumb.jpeg.f43aae862e213dfc7b4b2fb31fe48394.jpeg

I am also the opposite of @NorthernRab as I do most of my hill walking and mountain climbing in the Winter months as it is a great challenge (also very dangerous) and the scenery is spectacular. (Few pictures I took below)

 9B6D0934-A8F7-4C6A-A173-BDFFE2CFC2B1.thumb.jpeg.a8674846520385bcdc8818ef419c03c0.jpegBA622A84-C71E-4E48-84D5-74BD1A250DF0.thumb.jpeg.e3403a3cb6e0fdf81e9d9903363f7d8b.jpeg4B68C94E-C51B-47FD-81CD-3CAC2E1F7AF8.thumb.jpeg.6b3695c7eb55acf0a66634085c7036ff.jpegBDE3606D-7EF0-4C1B-A9F7-6297642EA0C3.thumb.jpeg.96623ef0326d06fd4518702cdf89465c.jpeg

So I think my only reason for not looking forward to Winter in the UK would be now that my son is 19 months old I need to be more careful when up a hill or mountain! 😀

I wish you all the best and hope each of you get what you are looking for - whether that be snow/cold/frost, gales/rain or mild/dry! 

Cheers 

I am soooo jealous! 

I can actually see the Pennines from my window but they are snowless for 95% of the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cheese said:

I like mild, sunny winter weather - like what we had in February this year. Not so much the damp and cloudy variety. Although I suppose the weather in February was often just plain warm!

Anyway, the darkness and dampness is what I dislike the most about winter. More sunshine would make a huge difference and winter wouldn’t be quite so depressing.

 

I agree with Damien though that Christmas helps to make December much less depressing.. even at 32 I still love Christmas - the lights, the decorations, the music, the food, spending time with family reminiscing about Christmases gone.. it’s 100% my favourite time of year, weather aside. I still like early January with the good vibes of the New Year but that goes away pretty quickly, especially when all the lights start coming down.

Most of the time mild winter weather means leaden skies, rain and wind. It's extremely boring, miserable and a complete nuisance. I hate mild winter weather, with a passion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The milder and wetter it is the worse it is for me. Worst of all is when such weather dominates Christmas and the run-up to it. I felt ill looking at that chart from December 2015 - together with November absolutely the worst festive period I've ever experienced, and one I can hardly conceive ever being outdone.

I'm not that bothered about darkness and lack of sunshine really as long as it's cold. For me it makes it feel more seasonal. When it's mild though it can pretty trying, like last Christmas when it was something like 11C every day and 8C at night under an unremitting grey blanket. I'm hard-pressed to even call that "weather".

Thankfully now my experience of UK winters is restricted to a couple of weeks around Christmas time. In Bratislava the main bugbear is slush and ice: it snows quite often but also often thaws partially when the temperatures creep above zero. Still, if the weather here isn't up to my standards the nearby hills usually are. I can also head north into colder regions quite easily. In any case having spent most of my winters in the snow-vacuum that is Liverpool I can't really complain.

Can't wait to experience Ukraine the week before Christmas either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

One word- darkness.

Biologically we need light and sunshine to regulate mood and also to generate Vitamin D which is needed for optimum health.

It's little wonder that so many people suffer from SAD in this country and also why the majority of people are Vitamin D deficient.

On the rare occasions when the sun does come out in winter in the UK, it's generally too weak to boost your mood and certainly far too weak to generate Vitamin D.

Being stuck inside is another big issue for me with winter. With it being dark at 4 pm it really restricts your activities and if you work a 9 to 5 job it's very likely you'll be commuting in the dark, morning and evening for some time. Our bodies are telling us that we should be in bed when it's dark (even if it's 8 am) so it causes a lot of stress on both mind and body.

I certainly echo other people's thoughts about Christmas. It definitely makes things easier. Imagine if we no longer had Christmas- now that would be truly depressing!

I repeat - if you can afford them, take D3 supplements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only hatred i would have of Winter is if it was mild,apart from that for me what's not to like!🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winter is my least favourite season in London by a long shot. Lack of light, near constant damp or wet, gloomy skies, endless cloud and howling winds that never cease blowing 🤢 It is more bearable in Prague, with colder, crisper days and less of a damp feel. However, cold, sunny winter days are nice and a decent snow (not slush) event can be fun. Love fog, hoar frost and wintry showers, too. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Winter is my least favourite season in London by a long shot. Lack of light, near constant damp or wet, gloomy skies,  endless cloud and howling winds that never cease blowing 🤢 It is more bearable in Prague, with colder, crisper days and less of a damp feel. However, cold, sunny winter days are nice and a decent snow (not slush) event can be fun. Love fog, hoar frost and wintry showers, too. 

I'm soooooooooooo looking forward to visiting Prague for Christmas - keeping my fingers crossed for some snow 🙂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, V for Very Cold said:

I'm soooooooooooo looking forward to visiting Prague for Christmas - keeping my fingers crossed for some snow 🙂

 

 

You’re more likely to see snow in Prague, for sure. Enjoy the city, the Christmas markets are wonderful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I repeat - if you can afford them, take D3 supplements!

Totally agree, I take a Vitamin D3/K2 combination by Nutri. It's drops so more easily absorbable. I had my levels tested last year and it does really work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I repeat - if you can afford them, take D3 supplements!

all down to genetics ..a recent study of volunteers from white ethnic backgrounds and south Asian backgrounds done in Manchester..found that none from the white ethnic group suffered any Vitamin D deficiency during the winter months..where as over 90% of the south Asian group did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, karyo said:

It's hardly ever cold enough to wear a winter coat never mind have snow and ice. 

On the plus side, living in a big city is more comfortable in winter than in summer so that's good even in the mildest of winters.

I have a Neo style long leather jacket and have never worn it because it's just not cold enough. Might sell it to a Matrix nut on Ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I have a Neo style long leather jacket and have never worn it because it's just not cold enough. Might sell it to a Matrix nut on Ebay.

conversely i have got a neon thong that i have never worn here as just not warm enough..you think the matrix nut might take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Reasons for not liking winter?

This...

image.thumb.png.28a2ef81a586051f1055316bb8ce0aed.png

Hideous,and I notice high pressure belts lurking to the South as we head towards winter,ready to pounce in 6 weeks time and stay their to spring?

Dont bet against it happening again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cheese said:

I like mild, sunny winter weather - like what we had in February this year. Not so much the damp and cloudy variety. Although I suppose the weather in February was often just plain warm!

Anyway, the darkness and dampness is what I dislike the most about winter. More sunshine would make a huge difference and winter wouldn’t be quite so depressing.

 

I agree with Damien though that Christmas helps to make December much less depressing.. even at 32 I still love Christmas - the lights, the decorations, the music, the food, spending time with family reminiscing about Christmases gone.. it’s 100% my favourite time of year, weather aside. I still like early January with the good vibes of the New Year but that goes away pretty quickly, especially when all the lights start coming down.

I wish just once we could heavy snow falling and laying onChristmas Day make the day absolutely perfect,never happened in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

conversely i have got a neon thong that i have never worn here as just not warm enough..you think the matrix nut might take it?

I think Trinity would look good in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in the Pennines has its pros and cons but for me the worst part is lack of good weather,too many wet days and when it is dry days can be ruined by wind although I live in the valley now so nowhere near as bad as living at 340M where I once resided.I have always liked the snow and when I lived on the tops that was always plentiful and I am blessed to have witnessed the winters from the late 70s and 80s so I cannot complain really.Just wished we had more of the very good summers,i really got spoilt in that era with great winters and 5 amazing summers in little over a decade,could do with a little more of that please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2019 at 16:59, Mr Frost said:

I can see everyone’s points of view as really it depends on where you live in the UK and Ireland.

I am quite lucky to be surrounded by hills/mountains from 98 meters to 1011 meters (All a short walk/drive/ferry) so if snow does not settle at low ground in my street I can easily access a full blown Winter scene - plus I can see some hills/mountains from my window so that also compensates regarding the low ground snow. (Picture below from last Winter)

B7C7DC55-ACB5-4230-802B-8E542A8A09C9.thumb.jpeg.f43aae862e213dfc7b4b2fb31fe48394.jpeg

I am also the opposite of @NorthernRab as I do most of my hill walking and mountain climbing in the Winter months as it is a great challenge (also very dangerous) and the scenery is spectacular. (Few pictures I took below)

Cheers 

I've considered giving winter climbing a go as I've been in full winter conditions many a time in spring and autumn, but it's the very short days that put me off as you really need to be on the hill at sunrise (8:15/8:30am or so) and up and down within 6 hours. Most of the Munros and more challenging Corbetts take about that time in decent conditions but I'll probably try a few later in the season towards January or February. 

In saying that, surrounded by some of the highest mountains in the country here at just a short drive away so about time I got more into the winter climbing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

all down to genetics ..a recent study of volunteers from white ethnic backgrounds and south Asian backgrounds done in Manchester..found that none from the white ethnic group suffered any Vitamin D deficiency during the winter months..where as over 90% of the south Asian group did

I don't suppose you can recall the details of that paper so thay I can read the abstract, please?  It appears from your description to contradict existing knowledge in this area.

I have Brittle Bone Disease and found out a few years back that my bone density was very low, partly as a consequence of low D3, and I'm as Caucasian as anyone else.  As with all genetic matters, there is considerable variability within populations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I don't suppose you can recall the details of that paper so thay I can read the abstract, please?  It appears from your description to contradict existing knowledge in this area.

I have Brittle Bone Disease and found out a few years back that my bone density was very low, partly as a consequence of low D3, and I'm as Caucasian as anyone else.  As with all genetic matters, there is considerable variability within populations

would have to find it again..but from memory..two reasons Northern Europeans are much more efficient at converting sunlight into vitamin D than people from more southerly latitudes that is just an evolutionary trait due to low sunlight..they are also more tolerant of cold and less so of heat..which leads into reason two..people of south Asian decent are more likely to cover up more and go out less in the winter..the upshot is basically they are more in need of supplements...this doesn't allow for white people with pre existing health conditions or are less able to get outside...or those who don't wear tshirts and flip flops all year round 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it's mainly a drop in mood. I like snow and I like the rain but I hate so many days of cold, grey nothingness. I'm also very outdoorsy so I feel like I can't do the things I want to so much in winter.

As soon as spring hits my mood improves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

 

Dont bet against it happening again.

I won’t.  Those high pressure belts lurking to the south are probably building blocks developing for winter.  Shall I look to 2020/21 or book a winter holiday in Canada this year?!

Edited by Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

all down to genetics ..a recent study of volunteers from white ethnic backgrounds and south Asian backgrounds done in Manchester..found that none from the white ethnic group suffered any Vitamin D deficiency during the winter months..where as over 90% of the south Asian group did

That's very different from other studies I've read which suggests that white British people are also overwhelmingly Vitamin D deficient on average, although less so than other ethnic groups with darker skin.

 

1062825.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

VITAMIN D deficiency warning: Almost three-quarters of adults in the UK have...

 

Edited by Scorcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

That's very different from other studies I've read which suggests that white British people are also overwhelmingly Vitamin D deficient on average, although less so than other ethnic groups with darker skin.

 

1062825.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

VITAMIN D deficiency warning: Almost three-quarters of adults in the UK have...

 

Yes studies  show although not conclusive  that white people have higher vitamin d levels than other races  however  what is interesting is that poor diet and being overweight  lowers the levels   which could be the reason why  levels are dropping in European and north American countries     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...