Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reasons for not looking forward to winter in the UK?

Sunny76

Posted
11 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Most of the time mild winter weather means leaden skies, rain and wind. It's extremely boring, miserable and a complete nuisance. I hate mild winter weather, with a passion.

I concur. Give me crisp,cold days with blue skies ( frosty mornings are prolific here, so lucky in that respect), or else snow. Wet,windy grey days are the worst.

Other hates:

The eternal -t350 optimism followed by the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth at the resulting 'bust'

Model thread know-it-alls who believe their own hype

Disciples of the above mentioned

The bloody apprentice

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I think the guidelines on the recommended Vitamin D3 intake is way too low. I think the current guidelines by the NHS is something like 500 IU of Vitamin D3 a day. That sort of dosage doesn't do much at all - might as well take a skittle. Dr Joseph Mercola says we should aim for about 10,000 IU a day & if taken in combination with Vitamin K2 high doses of Vitamin D3 are safe & effective. Between late April & late August in the UK white people easily make that sort of level in 30 minutes of direct sunlight. Places like Spain & Portugal the window of opportunity increases due to the sun being stronger earlier in the year & longer in the year down there. Vitamin D3 is much more than just about mood & bone health though. It can improve overall health. Obviously the drug companies say no to that. But most have woken up to the fact that without sick people they'd drastically lose money. Another thing - Vitamin D3 is fat soluble which means for it to absorb into your body effectively it's best to take it in supplemental form with some dietary fat. A bit of oil or butter will be fine.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

That's very different from other studies I've read which suggests that white British people are also overwhelmingly Vitamin D deficient on average, although less so than other ethnic groups with darker skin.

1062825.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

VITAMIN D deficiency warning: Almost three-quarters of adults in the UK have...

I'd hazard a guess diet has something to do with this. In the summer months most of us will get our vitamin D from sunlight, but during the winter months we rely on dietary VitD(or supplements). With a move towards plant based nutrition, especially in the younger generation, there will be deficiencies. We also tend to use the car more in the winter instead of walking. Understandably on those miserable,damp days

• Like 1

Posted

I definitely have a Vitamin D deficiency as evidenced by recent bloodwork. 

Winter is a strange one for me.

I often complain about it, but there are certain elements of it I love and when I think back to them I get super nostalgic. I never yearn for Winter in the summer months though like I do for summer in the winter months.

I don't mind Winter until January, where i'm skint and there's nothing to do and I start looking forward to March. 

I love the idea of calm, cold, foggy nights with snow laying on the ground and being in a warm and toasty country pub with the log fire going getting drunk with friends, but that NEVER happens. It's maybe happened once or twice in my lifetime - especially pre Christmas. 

Most of Winter is 8-10 degrees, absolutely lashing down with rain and everything is absolutely soaked to the point my bones feel damp. I loathe that kind of weather - it's absolutely disgusting. I also hate windy weather because my hair can't handle it. An actually exciting Autumn/Winter storm would be cool, though maybe a slightly classless thing to wish for as it can cause damage and endanger lives, but it is a weather forum afterall and there is always some excitement when that happens.

But yes, to answer the question - it's always dark, gloomy and wet.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 3

Posted

1. Posters on the model rollercoaster - massive highs at snowmageddon 200 hours away, followed by wrist slashing at 72 hours when it's not going the way they thought.

2. People who post with a "hubris" style.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

I definitely have a Vitamin D deficiency as evidenced by recent bloodwork. 

Winter is a strange one for me.

I often complain about it, but there are certain elements of it I love and when I think back to them I get super nostalgic. I never yearn for Winter in the summer months though like I do for summer in the winter months.

I don't mind Winter until January, where i'm skint and there's nothing to do and I start looking forward to March. 

I love the idea of calm, cold, foggy nights with snow laying on the ground and being in a warm and toasty country pub with the log fire going getting drunk with friends, but that NEVER happens. It's maybe happened once or twice in my lifetime - especially pre Christmas. 

Most of Winter is 8-10 degrees, absolutely lashing down with rain and everything is absolutely soaked to the point my bones feel damp. I loathe that kind of weather - it's absolutely disgusting. I also hate windy weather because my hair can't handle it. An actually exciting Autumn/Winter storm would be cool, though maybe a slightly classless thing to wish for as it can cause damage and endanger lives, but it is a weather forum afterall and there is always some excitement when that happens.

But yes, to answer the question - it's always dark, gloomy and wet.

Exactly. The former in bold is what I always imagine winter is like, it's what I love. But then winter actually arrives and it turns out like the latter in bold.

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Beet said:

Exactly. The former in bold is what I always imagine winter is like, it's what I love. But then winter actually arrives and it turns out like the latter in bold.

Yes and what Azazel said, about winters being between 8-10c or more in the 10-13c, if it’s a very mild winter. 

However once every few years we do experience a more colder dominated winter in the below 8c category, with a few milder interludes of 1-2 weeks at a time. The latter I would be hoping for, as we haven’t many of those types of winters since 2013/14, barring 17/18’s beast and December snow.

This is partly why I did enjoy winters in Toronto when I lived there, but like Cheeky Monkey said, once you’ve witnessed 1-2 weeks of snow falling or on the ground, the novelty factor can and will wear off. If we had a few back to back winters of guaranteed snowfall between late November until late February, I’m fairly certain people would be equally sick of it after a while. Just some food for thought, and this comes from someone who likes a colder winter. 

Summer is and will always be my favourite time of the year though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Living near the Atlantic Ocean we have the crappest climate snow and cold is what I look forward to in winter sadly we don’t get that kind of weather here much this is the reason I don’t look forward to winter any more also lack of sunshine gets to me as well.

Posted

It's the short days and low light levels through at least 3 months which get me, especially being interested in photo and video.
Good light for that plunges to almost nothing for several weeks, or rather the short periods which are usable you are at work or should be doing something more important.

Posted

Knowing it’s going to be dark before 6pm and dark until after 6am from now until March time. Even when you get to January, those 8 weeks until March seem like an eternity. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

There are a lot of reasons. These are my own opinion so if you are a snow/winter fan, please don't take these seriously. Please.

I, most of the time, hate winter. Although, on some days, I actually like winter. Here are the reasons.

Why I hate winter most of the time:

- Because I like summer more than winter. This one doesn't really need an explanation. I prefer it being 25c and raining all day over it being 5c and sunny. I like thunderstorms too.

- It gets too dark early. The earliest sunset where I live in winter is at around 3:50, and about 20 minutes later, it's pitch black outside. As I am someone who also loves sport, this is a bad thing as my garden doesn't have lights the size of a lamp post in my backgarden. That means after I get back from school, I only get less than half an hour of kicking a ball around.

- It gets quite gloomy. Most winter days are just dark and gloomy. It also most of the time is drizzly and I hate this. Almost every day I go outside my boots literally sink into the wet grass, where at one point in January my whole backyard was flooded a little and I decided to play about. I ended up kicking water than the ball. (I know that's my problem - but still )

- The freezing cold. Honestly. I don't think this one needs an explanation either, once I go outside on a freezing winter day for about ten minutes, I return inside as if both of my hands have just been sawed off. It's the worst feeling. Ever.

- The wait until summer. As I'm someone who LOVES thunderstorms, waiting six months for a proper thundery potential is ridiculous. Most of the time I'm impatient too, which makes matters worse.

Why I sometimes like winter:

- The snow. I'm not a particularly huge snow fan but seeing snow as soon as you wake up and hearing that school has been closed for the day is one of the best feelings ever. If the snow is also quite deep, I usually invite some friends round and get the sledges out. You know what happens next.

- Sat by a warm, cosy fire. I usually just light the fire in winter months if I get bored or depressed about storm season, just to get a feeling of the heat in the summer.

• Like 3

Posted

In addition to my hatred of mild winter weather, the only other thing I don't like about my favourite season are the dark mornings. I actually like the dark evenings but find it really hard to wake up and drag myself out of the bed when it's still dark outside. In the summer I am wide awake by 6am because it's daylight, but in winter I am dead to the world at 9am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

I usually invite some friends round and get the sledges out. You know what happens next.

Someone ends up in A&E?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Someone ends up in A&E?

That's what comes from too much lamppost-watching! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 06/10/2019 at 19:32, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

If it never snows where you are, then I can understand that you might find winter rather underwhelming.  For me, the worst weather type is those nothing grey, dry, mild-ish drab days with nothing of interest happening.  By contrast, a wet, breezy day like today is invigorating, especially if you dress appropriately (why do people go out in summer clothes and then moan that they're cold and wet?) and get out in it.  That being said, lack of sun is a problem for many - my advice is to take vitamin D3 supplements (500-1000IU) and try to make the most of the cold, clear, sunny days.  Consider, though, what it's liketo feel unwell every time the temperature goes over 30C and the relative humidity gets above 60%.

There those of us (like me) who aren't able to walk very far so unless someone gives them a lift - that's it, stuck in.  During winter the only time I "get out" is when someone takes me swimming. Otherwise I'm effectively housebound.  At least in summer I can sunbathe in my back garden.

Vit.D3 supplements aren't any good for dealing with SAD.

Don't forget the annual cull of the elderly exacted by the lousy British winter - I'm 69.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Someone ends up in A&E?

Hahahahha in some cases I guess 

Posted
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

That's what comes from too much lamppost-watching! 

I love lamppost watching.  Waiting and waiting for the first snowflake to drift into the illuminated glow when there's a threat of a snow shower.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
18 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

I love lamppost watching.  Waiting and waiting for the first snowflake to drift into the illuminated glow when there's a threat of a snow shower.

I could be cheeky and say I am not from the UK  BUT WE ALL LIVE IN THE SAME CLIMATE. I just want to say the only thing I miss about the winter here in Ireland is  the lack of storms we had when I was a lad between 1988 and 1992 . Lampost watching  I was as they almost buckled in the winds during the most memorable storms to ever hit the Emerald Isle.  Mild but wonderful memories of being out in such conditions that really where breathtaking to experience in a short number of years.                                                                                                                                         I would like to say that although some members feel the dark encroaches and dreariness sets in during the 3 -5 months surely many of us know that even in December we can have the most beautiful sparkling sunny days that can rival a bleak June damp spell.                                                       Winter in the UK is and always will be very unique as we know not whats in store but be damn sure its exciting and a dream for real weather enthusiasts so in our current climate I hate the winter for its unreliability but my god when we are blessed with ,Blizzards,Ice days ,pea soupers,            Streamers,   beasts from the east ,convective turbulence from the dreaded Atlantic and some epic tropical air mass migrating north, are we not privileged  with what we have and embrace the beauty of uncertainty and what the weather will throw at us next and that goes for all seasons.

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, emmett garland said:

I could be cheeky and say I am not from the UK  BUT WE ALL LIVE IN THE SAME CLIMATE. I just want to say the only thing I miss about the winter here in Ireland is  the lack of storms we had when I was a lad between 1988 and 1992 . Lampost watching  I was as they almost buckled in the winds during the most memorable storms to ever hit the Emerald Isle.  Mild but wonderful memories of being out in such conditions that really where breathtaking to experience in a short number of years.                                                                                                                                         I would like to say that although some members feel the dark encroaches and dreariness sets in during the 3 -5 months surely many of us know that even in December we can have the most beautiful sparkling sunny days that can rival a bleak June damp spell.                                                       Winter in the UK is and always will be very unique as we know not whats in store but be damn sure its exciting and a dream for real weather enthusiasts so in our current climate I hate the winter for its unreliability but my god when we are blessed with ,Blizzards,Ice days ,pea soupers,            Streamers,   beasts from the east ,convective turbulence from the dreaded Atlantic and some epic tropical air mass migrating north, are we not privileged  with what we have and embrace the beauty of uncertainty and what the weather will throw at us next and that goes for all seasons.

I take your point, about being able to appreciate it. 

i was walking home last night and got caught in the heavy rain. One of my gripes about mild wet windy weather, but I also appreciate the dampness sometimes as this is what provides us with our green countryside. I would hate us to become like Spain or Arizona(I like Spain as a country btw).

That said, I do like a clear sunny day in winter, but I don’t think that makes me feel better than a cool cloudy or overcast day in high summer. Even when the summer is at its worst, the evenings are still longer and there’s still a motivation to get out and do things. Winter time, even when sunny, doesn’t allow much time for that because of the limited daylight. It feel a like midnight by the time you reach 4-6pm between November and early March. 

I still have faith that this winter will produce some chilly sunny days, and maybe some snow, but I’ll be happy if we get a long period of crisp cold sunny days, like in 2009-10, and parts of 2010-11 winters.

• Like 4

Posted
On 08/10/2019 at 23:08, Frost HoIIow said:

I think the guidelines on the recommended Vitamin D3 intake is way too low. I think the current guidelines by the NHS is something like 500 IU of Vitamin D3 a day. That sort of dosage doesn't do much at all - might as well take a skittle. Dr Joseph Mercola says we should aim for about 10,000 IU a day & if taken in combination with Vitamin K2 high doses of Vitamin D3 are safe & effective. Between late April & late August in the UK white people easily make that sort of level in 30 minutes of direct sunlight. Places like Spain & Portugal the window of opportunity increases due to the sun being stronger earlier in the year & longer in the year down there. Vitamin D3 is much more than just about mood & bone health though. It can improve overall health. Obviously the drug companies say no to that. But most have woken up to the fact that without sick people they'd drastically lose money. Another thing - Vitamin D3 is fat soluble which means for it to absorb into your body effectively it's best to take it in supplemental form with some dietary fat. A bit of oil or butter will be fine.

Great post, I agree 100% on this. The guidelines are far too low both in the US and UK- I think Dr Mercola talks a lot of sense on this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
22 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

There those of us (like me) who aren't able to walk very far so unless someone gives them a lift - that's it, stuck in.  During winter the only time I "get out" is when someone takes me swimming. Otherwise I'm effectively housebound.  At least in summer I can sunbathe in my back garden.

Vit.D3 supplements aren't any good for dealing with SAD.

Don't forget the annual cull of the elderly exacted by the lousy British winter - I'm 69.

I'm disabled, so I know what you mean.  I was thinking about getting into the garden or just outside on a sunny day rather than staying indoors if possible rather than going anywhere in particular.  If you're having trouble walking, would it be useful to get a mobility aid?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The only thing I mostly do not look forward to, is being ill when I have gone down with the seasonal bug.  I have already fallen ill with a tummy bug.  I have not had the flu jab yet as I am waiting to be well enough to have the flu jab and for the flu jab to available at my local GP surgery.

Edited by Katrine Basso
Add more information and spellling mistake

Posted

Reasons for not looking forward to winter?  Look at the GLOSEA5 update for December, January and February!