Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reasons for not looking forward to winter in the UK?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Mud, and the car constantly being dirty. Driving to and from work in the dark. Non-descript weather, ie. overcast, 8c and damp.

• Like 2

Posted

Biggest reason is that in most years there is no winter in the UK!

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

i was born early 70s so I grew up as a child thinking snow was quite a common theme,as we seemed to get at least one decent fall of snow every winter and cold lasting at least a week,then after that amazing cold spell of 87,it felt like someone flipped a switch and said’ sorry that’s the end of any decent snow and cold weather for the next 30 years or more,’and they were spot on!

Now the High pressure belts to the South seem to control the weather in the winter months,consistently,then magically disappear when too late,at least here for any meaningful snow and cold.

I'm similar - and I've a decent memory, and I'm sure we did actually get winters, instead of an extended autumn.  In infant & 2 years of junior school we wore shorts, and I can remember wishing I was in long trousers as it was cold.

When I became a paperboy, I remember plenty of times the newspapers arriving late (or not at all) as the suppliers were delayed. 

Nowadays, as a keen cyclist I almost dread the onset of late Nov into Dec, as it's you know it's more than likely to be mild, wet & windy = pretty miserable cycling weather. 

I'd agree with an earlier poster who said they like the idea of a true winter; not the actual version we get.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Unfortunately my job clashes with my love of snow.

I do multi drop deliveries in and around Sheffield every morning in a 26 tonne rigid HGV.

Those who know Sheffield will know not much of it is flat.

Ive been lucky the last couple of winters, either roads had been cleared in time or it had snowed on my day off.

Only a matter of time before it causes me absolute hell at work, I always pray it snows heavy enough back home so I can't get into work in the first place.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

the only thing i don't like about UK winters is the damp..unless its cold (which isn't often) then everything is constantly damp or wet..in retrospect the good thing about winter is they are relatively short and i miss that..here its is too cold for too long..today looks like being the last day above 14c here until late April early May..if i came back to the UK to live again ..i would really look forward to the lack of snow and cold :drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I struggle a bit with the very short days which if coupled with fog / freezing fog, as is often the case, can make daylight pretty scarce. Winter means less in the way of hillwalking and mountain climbing so I tend to miss that.

Other than that, it's a season I very much enjoy!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

..if i came back to the UK to live again ..i would really look forward to the lack of snow and cold :drunk-emoji:

I'll swap with you!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!

Well there seems to be a bunch of happy campers on here!   Dress for the weather, don't go wishing your lives away. If we get something we want, as in 'snow' it's a bonus. If the sun's out, lovely. If it rains, then look for the positive in the rain (appropriately dressed of course) but, by all means go out, be happy, enjoy what we have. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I tend not to look forward to winter because of the lack of daylight.  I don't think I suffer strong enough "light withdrawal symptoms" to officially qualify as having Seasonal Affective Disorder but I seem to have a mild version of that kind of thing.  On average it doesn't have a big effect on my quality of life but I tend to find it easier to be in high spirits in spring and summer than in autumn and winter, all other things being equal.  

One marked instance of where all other things weren't equal was in 2010, when I found the darkest months of November/December/January more enjoyable than many of the lighter months, for reasons that many of you may be able to guess.  

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I can put up with the lack of snow, dark mornings, evenings and in some cases all day, warmer weather. It fails to annoy me in Winter quite as much as walking into a shop or some other building that is trying to rival Austrailia's summer heat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

I would prefer to go to sleep in October with a big stockpile of treats and wake up sometime near the end of April when the warmer weather and the lighter days are coming back again.... unless we get record snow then someone please wake me up.. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Don said:

I'll swap with you!

i bet you wouldn't if you spent a winter on the Prairies ..to me its the only real downside to living here..winters are too long..its nice to see snow and cold..but not for months on end

• Like 2

Posted

The thing I don't look forward to about Winter is more the run up to it, such as now when on this forum you already have some members on here declaring it's over long before it's even begun. I get that it's  only their personal opinion and that they could actually end up being right, but come on it's only been October for a week with the bulk of the month and then the whole of November to get through before even meteorological Winter begins, never mind astronomical Winter. It could be argued that some may have vague ideas on how it might start but who's willing to stake claim on how it will end. After all I don't think anybody could confidently predict what we should expect weather wise in late January, February or even the start of March for example. 

There's a tendency I think to forget also that with the exception of the very rare more famous Winters like your 1963's or 1979's that most Winters that we look back on as cold snowy ones were more often than not only a week or two affairs of classic Winter fayre with the rest of the season been much less memorable and sometimes even consisting of periods where the opposite type of weather (quite mild) had its time also. 

So been as the weather can often change at the drop of a hat and that we're talking of a 3 to nearly 4 month period that doesn't even begin for nearly another 2 months and could be argued doesn't end until closer to 6 months that there's no reason really to feel despondent about our prospects for seeing whatever we'd like at this stage. And if we don't better to save our disappointment until the time rather than declaring it over long before it's even begun.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I love winter, the anticipation of it is fantastic, you never really know what will happen, summer is summer, even if it's crap, its warm, but winter is different, it keeps you on your toes, and the mad thread provides endless hour's of fun and frolics, I'm really hoping this winter will be a good un

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

And this too Crewe. Got to 14C on Xmas day here. Certainly didn't feel "seasonal"

archives-2011-12-25-12-0.png

Whilst the previous year couldn't have been any different with snow on the ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
14 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

And this too Crewe. Got to 14C on Xmas day here. Certainly didn't feel "seasonal"

archives-2011-12-25-12-0.png

Whilst the previous year couldn't have been any different with snow on the ground.

Aye, grim

I fear we'll be seeing more of that this year unfortunately.

• Like 3

Posted

Lack of sunshine is for me the single thing I like least in winter - I don't mind the lack of light generally, as long as it is punctuated with some good sunny spells and clear skies from time to time. Unfortunately early winter especially is plagued with often low cloud around these parts, and that dank drizzly air, most notable when we have tropical maritime airstream- which I detest at all times of the year, from a personal perspective. Such airstreams bring very mild maxima and minima quite often about 12/13 maxima, and 10/11 minima.. we get colder days in June!

The saving grace is the run in to christmas, and know some people don't care for christmas too much.. but I am grateful for it, as it does give people a focus, and the twinkly lights brighten the mood somewhat. Its the sledgehammer that then comes in early January - that is when I don't want a predominant mild atlantic airstream - I remember the contrasts between the starts to 2010 and 2012 for example, the former brought alot of freezing sunny days to cheer the mood, the latter, I recorded no sunshine for 12 days in a row starting 1 January.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

^^ Agreed! At least the warm sector SWerlies rarely last more than a few days.

Some would disagree, but I quite liked January 2017 for its frost and sunshine after the very dull December. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 hours ago, MattStoke said:

I can't understand people who actually like mild winter weather. I understand not wanting disruption from snow and ice and not wanting to be cold, but mild winter weather is so mind numbingly boring and miserable and it's not even warm!

I like mild, sunny winter weather - like what we had in February this year. Not so much the damp and cloudy variety. Although I suppose the weather in February was often just plain warm!

Anyway, the darkness and dampness is what I dislike the most about winter. More sunshine would make a huge difference and winter wouldn’t be quite so depressing.

I agree with Damien though that Christmas helps to make December much less depressing.. even at 32 I still love Christmas - the lights, the decorations, the music, the food, spending time with family reminiscing about Christmases gone.. it’s 100% my favourite time of year, weather aside. I still like early January with the good vibes of the New Year but that goes away pretty quickly, especially when all the lights start coming down.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

exactly same as me @cheese, those 2 charts posted earlier to me don't look too bad, they look dry, to me the worst winter setup is probably the most common, raging Atlantic on a southerly jet, lows crashing over central/southern UK, temps around 7 degrees

• Like 1

Posted

One word- darkness.

Biologically we need light and sunshine to regulate mood and also to generate Vitamin D which is needed for optimum health.

It's little wonder that so many people suffer from SAD in this country and also why the majority of people are Vitamin D deficient.

On the rare occasions when the sun does come out in winter in the UK, it's generally too weak to boost your mood and certainly far too weak to generate Vitamin D.

Being stuck inside is another big issue for me with winter. With it being dark at 4 pm it really restricts your activities and if you work a 9 to 5 job it's very likely you'll be commuting in the dark, morning and evening for some time. Our bodies are telling us that we should be in bed when it's dark (even if it's 8 am) so it causes a lot of stress on both mind and body.

I certainly echo other people's thoughts about Christmas. It definitely makes things easier. Imagine if we no longer had Christmas- now that would be truly depressing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I live for snowy December, which I now have had and it is rare. Once December is out the way I just want the thunderstorms and heat out the way so I can hope for another snowy December. 

Everyone buy a woolly Hat it's a life changer!.

• Like 1