Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reasons for not looking forward to winter in the UK?

Sunny76

Posted

I’ll start, and this is a reaction to all of those who seem to enjoy seeing Summer in the rear view mirror. 

This is one reason I don’t look forward to the darker days and winter period from a UK point of view. The mild wet and windy rubbish that can define a British winter in some years. If there’s a lack of snow or sunny crisp days, it makes me less excited about the approaching season if we are going to be stuck with mild wet and windy garbage. It’s the most boring combination of weather.

I hope I’m wrong about 2019/20, and hope we do indeed get some cold days. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

-Gloomy and cloudy all the time (mind you so are the other seasons)

-Cold

-Never actually snows

-Stupid short day lengths

-Have to dress up like a muppet to avoid death from exposure

-The most boring season in terms of weather (unless you find a 2 second snow shower that melts on contact "interesting".

As you may be able to tell, I'm not a coldie - and we do get mild, dry months in winter here, unlike the constant perception that only mild weather in winter is damp. Cold and damp is just as frequent and 10,000,000 times worse (speaking for myself).

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

James Madden!

squabbling in the model thread lol

snowmaggedon from t-300 to t-24 then it’s shorts weather ! 

Headlines from the red tops re: weather (see first point! Lol)

getting to March and thinking “was that it?”

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not enough sunshine and not enough wintry weather. Anything mild and wet is just deplorable, and more suited to this current time of year. I don't mind Atlantic weather if it comes from north of west.

The lack of light is also quite depressing but compensated for by sunshine - it makes all the difference. I could even handle mild... just be sunny!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

If it never snows where you are, then I can understand that you might find winter rather underwhelming.  For me, the worst weather type is those nothing grey, dry, mild-ish drab days with nothing of interest happening.  By contrast, a wet, breezy day like today is invigorating, especially if you dress appropriately (why do people go out in summer clothes and then moan that they're cold and wet?) and get out in it.  That being said, lack of sun is a problem for many - my advice is to take vitamin D3 supplements (500-1000IU) and try to make the most of the cold, clear, sunny days.  Consider, though, what it's liketo feel unwell every time the temperature goes over 30C and the relative humidity gets above 60%.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

rain, wind,  dark mornings, still not really warm enough for shorts/t shirts, even though warmish, and the obvious unrealistic hopecasting on here, everyone knows cold is rare and mild nearly always wins a model battle

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
16 minutes ago, knocker said:

The mod thread. The annual event that reduces interesting weather into a bore-fest

Indeed - it would be much more interesting were it not for the drama.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Indeed - it would be much more interesting were it not for the drama.

I find model thread much more interesting in a way, but things not really moved on, like our weather is still like in the 80's 90's, too many members expect cold, and expect cold runs to come off, and always hear, 'the models underestimating the entrenched cold, or the block', when we all know the most likely thing is for the Atlantic to blast through in TMW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Too many folks take the weather (and any comments that don't fit the desired narrative) far too personally...It's the weather, and there's nowt we can do about it...?:oldgrin:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Too many folks take the weather (and any comments that don't fit the desired narrative) far too personally...It's the weather, and there's nowt we can do about it...?:oldgrin:

There's also the old "no such thing as bad weather,only the wrong clothes" argument

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Too damp and gloomy.

Heck, I would love for a cold winter, if it was either crispy, sunny and dry.. or snowy! I would even take a mild winter if it was at least dry and sunny. But the gloom Is depressing 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

If it never snows where you are, then I can understand that you might find winter rather underwhelming.  For me, the worst weather type is those nothing grey, dry, mild-ish drab days with nothing of interest happening.  By contrast, a wet, breezy day like today is invigorating, especially if you dress appropriately (why do people go out in summer clothes and then moan that they're cold and wet?) and get out in it.  That being said, lack of sun is a problem for many - my advice is to take vitamin D3 supplements (500-1000IU) and try to make the most of the cold, clear, sunny days.  Consider, though, what it's liketo feel unwell every time the temperature goes over 30C and the relative humidity gets above 60%.

Thank heavens I can count the number of such days on one hand. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Endless cloudy days that aren't really mild or cold.

Watching other people enjoying snow while it's raining here (not that it's been much of a problem lately with the lack of snow anywhere apart from a few exceptions).

• Like 1

Posted

Well location wise I’m from a hell hole, snow and cold speaking... inner London, floodplain. Some don’t realise how good they have it... a typical winter in London is very cloudy only 40 something sunshine hours in December and January. And often snowless very devoid of colour, usually nothing really interesting happens a limbo.

wet pavement can’t get more depressing than that.. cold but not cold enough.  

I don’t look forward to winter, I look forward to the version of winter I want quite intensely but alas that’s a fools game reality hits hard much more than not.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

- people whinging about winter on weather forums 

- pointless threads to discuss the negatives of winter and whinge  

- Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The only real downside I have, is that given I only have calor gas heaters for warmth, is the thought of lumping up 15kg bottles of gas every couple of weeks up to my flat. Plus the stress of looking for a supply if it gets really cold ( driving through snow in March 2018 was hard going and I got the last bottle) 

• Like 2

Posted

I can't understand people who actually like mild winter weather. I understand not wanting disruption from snow and ice and not wanting to be cold, but mild winter weather is so mind numbingly boring and miserable and it's not even warm!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Can understand the case put forward if we have our 'typical' winter that we have experienced of recent years which has no doubt been exacerbated by warmer sst's and other factors producing less sunshine/mild/rain/less frosts etc. but to me the variation of possibilities on the table is greater in the winter season than any other season we just need things to work in our favour again which hasn't largely happened since 2013.

Sadly for me the expectation and anticipation always exceeds what we experience a good 8 times out of 10.

• Like 1

Posted

i was born early 70s so I grew up as a child thinking snow was quite a common theme,as we seemed to get at least one decent fall of snow every winter and cold lasting at least a week,then after that amazing cold spell of 87,it felt like someone flipped a switch and said’ sorry that’s the end of any decent snow and cold weather for the next 30 years or more,’and they were spot on!

Now the High pressure belts to the South seem to control the weather in the winter months,consistently,then magically disappear when too late,at least here for any meaningful snow and cold.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

For me it's the same as the others - just the tedium of having the majority of days 7-14c, cloudy and mild-ish. There isn't usually enough sun, and the lovely cold crisp days are few and far between.

Also the endless hope-casting on the model thread. If you scroll back through you'd probably find every single year has some sort of signal pointing to a severe cold/snowy outbreak that doesn't come off, and continued posting of charts from day 10-15 of the model suite as if they are a day away.

Other than that, its ok! 

• Like 1