Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming winter speculation and chat - October edition

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 27/10/2019 at 12:44, Sceptical said:

"Major winter to match one of the greats in 20th century during next 3 years"....High Confidence

Can I ask when you made the above statement?

for me, sorry so busy but will get winter thoughts out hopefully tonight, this Nov has so much for the winter (early winter ahead).  A cold and wild start to Nov, there is strong indication of quite notable snow for some, and December likely to be an exaggeration of first half of Nov and could be very notable.....  I Just wanted to put it out there in case I don’t complete it tonight, it’s where my LRF is pointing so see where we go....Front loaded for me as I think blocking in Jan/Feb will be flabbyish mid latitude.....but then a really cold early Spring.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

As nice as that looks, it's meaningless unless the bloke (whoever he is) tells us why he's picked those years for the composite.

Here's my effort using the foolproof methodology of randomly picking a few cold days off the top of my head.

compday.oBxdjsix64.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Almost November, so time to speculate about the coming winter again. Unfortunately it doesn't look very good, at least for the first half, all the long range models point to west circulation and when it comes to forecasting west circulation the models have been pretty good 4-6 weeks out in the past. And with record low ice cover and the tail end of the wQBO any northerly will fail to deliver anything but wintery showers. 

Hopefully the switch to eQBO and solar minimum can deliver something in the 2nd half of meteorological winter but I'm not holding my breath this winter 

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 6

Posted

• Like 2

On 31/10/2019 at 11:16, ArHu3 said:

Almost November, so time to speculate about the coming winter again. Unfortunately it doesn't look very good, at least for the first half, all the long range models point to west circulation and when it comes to forecasting west circulation the models have been pretty good 4-6 weeks out in the past. And with record low ice cover and the tail end of the wQBO any northerly will fail to deliver anything but wintery showers. 

Hopefully the switch to eQBO and solar minimum can deliver something in the 2nd half of meteorological winter but I'm not holding my breath this winter 

Don't know about record low ice cover but there is decent snow cover, well ahead of many a recent year. Even Scandinavia doing well for early season.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stonethecrows said:

Don't know about record low ice cover but there is decent snow cover, well ahead of many a recent year. Even Scandinavia doing well for early season.

We had been at a record low for the time of the year for a while when I wrote that earlier this week but we just caught up with 2016 and are about to overtake 2007, 2012 and 2018. Who knows, maybe just maybe this winter might just turn out to be a decent one after all 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Good morning to you all. It's good to be back on here looking for the hunt for cold and snowy weather... we don't seem to be in a to bad position at the moment.. I've known worse lol...

I though I'd have a look back through the model discussion thread to see how things were looking this time last year to the very day were on now. It's interesting to see how it was all looking for cold but of course we all know how it turned out.

Still a new winter season (nearly) and hopefully things will turn out brutally cold and snowy as we head deeper into winter.

Here is the link if you fancy a read back to this time last year's discussion..

Edited by The BEAST From The East
Typo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Just a little bit of info for those of you who don't know!! The weather online seasonal was updated the other day, and points to a Wstly dominated December with rain at times. The January update states wintry at times, with a snow risk moving south at times!! Nae bad, all be it a long way off. 

• Like 4

Posted
On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 00:03, prolongedSnowLover said:

More analogs yet! Analogs don’t mean much with too many variables in the past! ?‍♂️⚠️

Agreed they are JFF same as seasonal forecasts covering the next 3 months.(IMO)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Just a little bit of info for those of you who don't know!! The weather online seasonal was updated the other day, and points to a Wstly dominated December with rain at times. The January update states wintry at times, with a snow risk moving south at times!! Nae bad, all be it a long way off. 

Yes, saw that.  Let’s hope that colder January leads to a brutal cold and snowy February!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
1 hour ago, Mattwolves said:

Their monthly outlook which runs up to 13th December is at odds with the seasonal forecast though,  suggesting frosty weather....

Posted
1 hour ago, Wynter said:

Not getting sucked in yet by all the pretty charts showing Winter nirvana. Once we start seeing these colder runs <=144 I'll start to get excited.

For much of western Europe, except maybe the higher parts it is still much too early for anything resembling proper wintery weather, especially in the current climate. Over here even back in the good Olds days winter never began before the 15th....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Probably going to curse it from now on, but the NAO came in at -1.41 for October: the 6th month in a row of negative values. Only 2 of the preceding 19 months were negative.

WWW.NCDC.NOAA.GOV

Information on the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) index, which is based on the surface sea-level pressure difference between the Subtropical (Azores) High and the Subpolar Low.

This was the mean pressure field forecast from the GloSea5 issued in July for Aug/Sep/Oct...

2cat_20190701_mslp_months24_global_deter

Just something to consider when looking at the LRFs. The caveat here is that the LRFs demonstrate better skill at predicting the wintertime NAO, and currently they are going +++NAO.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the next monthly update of the major LRFs - which will start to appear in the next few days - will be based on ensembles that ran in October, and therefore might not show the -AO trend as (currently) advertised in the model output. 

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Probably going to curse it from now on, but the NAO came in at -1.41 for October: the 6th month in a row of negative values. Only 2 of the preceding 19 months were negative.

WWW.NCDC.NOAA.GOV

Information on the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) index, which is based on the surface sea-level pressure difference between the Subtropical (Azores) High and the Subpolar Low.

This was the mean pressure field forecast from the GloSea5 issued in July for Aug/Sep/Oct...

2cat_20190701_mslp_months24_global_deter

Just something to consider when looking at the LRFs. The caveat here is that the LRFs demonstrate better skill at predicting the wintertime NAO, and currently they are going +++NAO.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the next monthly update of the major LRFs - which will start to appear in the next few days - will be based on ensembles that ran in October, and therefore might not show the -AO trend as (currently) advertised in the model output. 

I can't find the graph but IIRC model verification during hemisphere summer is better than during with winter and verification of the northern hemisphere weather is better than of the southern hemisphere (nhs>shs>nhw>shw)

Edited by ArHu3

Posted

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

When you have a disparity like that between two of the most respective LRF models, it kind of makes you wonder, what's the point and begs the questions, how are their programmes so different?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

When you have a disparity like that between two of the most respective LRF models, it kind of makes you wonder, what's the point and begs the questions, how are their programmes so different?

The CFS must have flipped then as that has also been showing months with a positive AO?!

Posted
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Cfs initialization november 5th VS ec October 1st

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Nothing like a sweeping statement to start the day. I'm not sure we can make a blanket statement like this with so many signals for cold in place this year, Yes it's early and all just starting to unfold and needs to fall into place, but I'd take this over the last few years any day.

I'll reply in here as to not go off topic in the MOD thread. 

As @bluearmy said, other than the FI charts showing potential cold later in November, the current signals are for December to be unsettled with the PV strengthening and there isn't "so many signals for cold in place". Although not set in stone, I haven't seen anything yet to get excited about this Winter. There's still plenty of time to go yet though, so there's every possibility we might get something worth waiting for. 

• Like 4