Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming winter speculation and chat - October edition

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
18 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It might not make a dent in 'human-caused' global warming in the next 1000 years on average, but in short spells it surely will, climate change was well underway by the last bog-standard solar min and we got the coldest Dec for 100 years and the second coldest on record and the coldest winter for 30 years, with a Dalton minimum..........

And 1947, the snowiest winter of the Twentieth Century, occurred almost in sync with a, compared to these days, whopping Solar max...And neither 1963 nor 1979 were anywhere near a Solar min?:oldgood:

IMO, with real causal links, it's nae often that the 'misses' outnumber the 'hits'...?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And 1947, the snowiest winter of the Twentieth Century, occurred almost in sync with a, compared to these days, whopping Solar max...And neither 1963 nor 1979 were anywhere near a Solar min?:oldgood:

IMO, with real causal links, it's nae often that the misses outnumber hits...?

Yes but then surely 1947 would not have happened today in solar max as it needs something special these days to override the current climate (not saying that the climate will remain like this by any means, no one knows for sure) but in 2009-2010 we got that something special - ie - solar min - tripole, medoki EL NINO etc.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It might not make a dent in 'human-caused' global warming in the next 1000 years on average, but in short spells it surely will, climate change was well underway by the last bog-standard solar min and we got the coldest Dec for 100 years and the second coldest on record and the coldest winter for 30 years, with a Dalton minimum..........

I'm not suggesting that a cold winter/s will not occur, just that, if they do, it does not infer that dramatic long-term scenarios or trends of brutal cold, volcanic eruptions, famine etc,etc, etc. (electroverse stuff) will occur.

And I'm more convinced that volcanic eruptions were substantially causal to the (500-150yrs ago] historic periods of colder than average temps and not the resultant.

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

IMO, with real causal links, it's nae often that the 'misses' outnumber the 'hits'...?

1978-79 was a westerly qbo as well. You would have thought the cards were stacked against it to turn out so cold. So what caused it turn out that cold?

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Ties in with a report I read on AMOC. 

"in the unlikely event of AMOC shutting down, the most likely outcome would be temperatures in Northern Hemisphere continuing to rise"

That report was from an agency called... Skeptical.... The clue is in the title.... They are very skeptical its impossible to say what the next few months will bring... Solar minimum or not.... Like I said in an earlier post, even some of the most senior meteorological people are head scratching this year!!! 

Ps... When you mentioned AMOC..... I thought you was talking about the Aston Martin owners club!!! Not the ocean current.... Lol

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

That report was from an agency called... Skeptical.... The clue is in the title.... They are very skeptical its impossible to say what the next few months will bring... Solar minimum or not.... Like I said in an earlier post, even some of the most senior meteorological people are head scratching this year!!! 

Ps... When you mentioned AMOC..... I thought you was talking about the Aston Martin owners club!!! Not the ocean current.... Lol

The report I read wasnt from an agency named Skeptical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

The report I read wasnt from an agency named Skeptical.

My bad... I was making a reference to a grand solar minimum making no impact on a globally warmed earth... Which was skeptical science. Com. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

My bad... I was making a reference to a grand solar minimum making no impact on a globally warmed earth... Which was skeptical science. Com. 

No worries.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
On 26/10/2019 at 17:01, Don said:

Unfortunately the metoffice 30 day forecast has changed today with more of an emphasis on west/south westerly winds through the middle of November and the incidence of milder spells increasing.  I know they could be very wrong, but it's not what I wanted to see.......

On 26/10/2019 at 17:01, Don said:

Unfortunately the metoffice 30 day forecast has changed today with more of an emphasis on west/south westerly winds through the middle of November and the incidence of milder spells increasing.  I know they could be very wrong, but it's not what I wanted to see.......

don remember last year the Met office was going on and on about how cold and snowy it could get over Christmas so let’s not forget that fat either so the increasing in mild spells during or end of November may not come off then again it may do. ☺️

Posted
34 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

don remember last year the Met office was going on and on about how cold and snowy it could get over Christmas so let’s not forget that fat either so the increasing in mild spells during or end of November may not come off then again it may do. ☺️

I know and that's why I said the forecast could be very wrong.  However, I would rather they were predicting colder conditions rather than the return of the westerlies!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

1978-79 was a westerly qbo as well. You would have thought the cards were stacked against it to turn out so cold. So what caused it turn out that cold?

Standardised qbo values for Jan-March were neutral-positive. While I don’t know if there was a ssw that winter about 50% of neutral years do see one so it’s not much less favourable than -1 standardised values.

Posted
9 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Standardised qbo values for Jan-March were neutral-positive. While I don’t know if there was a ssw that winter about 50% of neutral years do see one so it’s not much less favourable than -1 standardised values.

There was but the most you can argue about it, is that it probably extended winter. It was centred around 22nd Feb 79

WWW.ESRL.NOAA.GOV

NOAA ESRL Chemical Sciences Division (CSD): envisioning a nation that has the needed scientific understanding and information about our atmosphere (environmental intelligence) to make...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, definitely back loaded favoured, downwelling Easterly QBO, neutral enso, 3 powerhouse Easterlies in the last 20 years have occurred in Feb with an neutral enso signal (cant remember which years but did some re-analysis not long ago), plus i cannot see the long range models all being so spectacularly wrong at that lead time for December, although i say backloaded, i can easily see the transition to cold being in early to mid Jan, solar cycle re-analysis points to Jan being the coldest month (thanks to Gavweathervids.com) for that re-analysis. That said though i could see an early brief taste of winter (hence why i am posting in MOD thread in hope) in Nov or early Dec but still going for those 2 months to come out around average or just above overall.

• Like 2

Posted

Definitely signs atop of a warming later in November on the GFS. Nothing Major just yet but location wise could be as per @Catacol comments, wave2 / i.e. possible split.

Berlin charts coming soon, we should soon start to get a better idea of where we may be heading for late autumn / very early winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Baby steps transitioning to toddler? Rinse and repeat wave 2 activity will be key if we are to get some cold in the heart/late winter. Doesn’t rule out the odd cold shot in December either, though perhaps transient. 

• Like 7

Posted

following from the above re the strat, I do have thoughts as to what can happen to an ever strengthening SPV high up if it cant propogate/downwell effectively towards the trop ……… 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, frederiksen90 said:

Yes, Matt Hugo mentions the same thing as Judah Cohen yesterday about whether the combination of aluetically low and scandi-high in mid-November can disrupt PV and possibly lead to an SSW subsequently, as it lies on each side of the Arctic. This is exactly what led to an early SSW in 2009/10. It is good that PV is stronger than normal, which can collect very cold in the upper stratosphere. If it is quickly attacked afterwards, an SSW allows to push very cold air away from the Arctic. Interesting things are already appearing in the PV forecasts despite the strengthening. In 2009, PV also strengthened first, while November transitioned from -NAO to neutral NAO. It provided high pressure over Scandinavia-Eurasian and the North Pacific, which weakened PV via energy transfer. We had a blockage in the troposphere and fast wave 1 and 2 activity. It reminds me this year? Solar minimum? And so I think everything continues to go against the season models until day 7-10. It is only afterwards that you constantly see the peak of PV in the forecasts, while it changes continuously for the first 10 days.

Worth pointing out though that 09 had a very warm strat through Nov with very low zonal winds, but yes, crucial to see the blocking in the trop continuing to stop the strong strat PV from ruling the pattern, that's what we are all watching! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

following from the above re the strat, I do have thoughts as to what can happen to an ever strengthening SPV high up if it cant propogate/downwell effectively towards the trop ……… 

and arguably it requires only a small element of destabilisation to trigger the happening I think you are alluding to.....

Posted
8 minutes ago, Catacol said:

and arguably it requires only a small element of destabilisation to trigger the happening I think you are alluding to.....

which is?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

Ha - well that is for Blue to allude to really....but my own take would be the idea that if the vortex gets supercharged up top but remains disconnected from the troposphere then it is "ripe" for taking down if tropospheric patterns set up correctly. Think of what happens if you set up a spinning top and push it up to full speed and then gently poke it from the side......

the bigger they are …..

of course would need quite a few dominos to fall the right way and we know how tough that can be ……...

• Like 4