Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming winter speculation and chat - October edition

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Reading this thread in recent days the despondent feeling is amusing and indicative of some not allowing their earlier thoughts to remain measured. 

I have been saying for some months that I don’t expect a change to cold until Mid-January and I still remain somewhat confident.

• Like 3

Posted
42 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Reading this thread in recent days the despondent feeling is amusing and indicative of some not allowing their earlier thoughts to remain measured. 

I have been saying for some months that I don’t expect a change to cold until Mid-January and I still remain somewhat confident.

When you say cold, do you protracted long lasting cold with say means below 1 degree, with snow. The opening days at least will deliver widespread means below average sat around 2-3 degrees at best, a bit below in some spots, not long lasting but definately cold. Its all relative. 

Posted
43 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

When you say cold, do you protracted long lasting cold with say means below 1 degree, with snow. The opening days at least will deliver widespread means below average sat around 2-3 degrees at best, a bit below in some spots, not long lasting but definately cold. Its all relative. 

I’m talking Jan-March CET means.

Current analogues suggest means of 3.3, 3.9 and 4.8. 37.5% chance of a Jan SSW between 4th-18th Jan. 

Some may not like protracted cool to cold weather especially since October and November have lacked many mild spells but that suggests a good chance of snow in Jan and March.

If I had to punt I would focus on the 10th-30th Jan and 20th Feb-20th March as the two coldest periods of the winter.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Thunder Snow said:

When is the netweather winter forecast due

Who still wants to burn their fingers on that, the only way to not do that is to correctly forecast a new mini ice age any other forecast and outcome just leads to people getting upset 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Judah Cohen's latest blog shows the AER winter temperature forecast 

aer_logo_300x300.png
WWW.AER.COM

November 25, 2019 - Dr. Judah Cohen from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) embarked on an experimental process of regular research, review, and analysis of the Arctic...

imageizola.png interesting to note the warmer temperatures over Greenland and some cooler temps over Scandi...

"The AER winter forecast is shown below in Figure i.  The region with the highest probability of observing below normal temperatures is Siberia and bleeding into East Asia consistent with the above normal snow cover extent observed in Siberia this past October.  The other region that has a higher probability of experiencing below normal temperatures is  central and eastern North America especially Central Canada and the Great Lakes region.  In Europe the region with the best chance of experiencing below normal temperatures is Scandinavia.  Most other regions have a better chance of experiencing normal to above normal temperatures this winter according to the model."

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Judah Cohen's latest blog shows the AER winter temperature forecast 

aer_logo_300x300.png
WWW.AER.COM

November 25, 2019 - Dr. Judah Cohen from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) embarked on an experimental process of regular research, review, and analysis of the Arctic...

imageizola.png interesting to note the warmer temperatures over Greenland and some cooler temps over Scandi...

"The AER winter forecast is shown below in Figure i.  The region with the highest probability of observing below normal temperatures is Siberia and bleeding into East Asia consistent with the above normal snow cover extent observed in Siberia this past October.  The other region that has a higher probability of experiencing below normal temperatures is  central and eastern North America especially Central Canada and the Great Lakes region.  In Europe the region with the best chance of experiencing below normal temperatures is Scandinavia.  Most other regions have a better chance of experiencing normal to above normal temperatures this winter according to the model."

So cold air never far away but perhaps struggling to tap into it.

Posted

Ok was going to wait until tomorrow to do this, but will do it now, for what its worth, here are my musings on winter. These are not based on any evidence, just my observations, significantly affected by variables such as ENSO, solar state, QBO, SST anomalies, pattern over autumn which I think is very influential,and just general feeling. Brief headlines for Jan and Feb only.

December

A good chance this could be quite a wintry month, but no deep freeze, with a varied first half, starting off cold dry and frosty, something then milder and wetter from the atlantic, before a shift back to colder conditions in the lead up to mid-month with the jetstream once again as it has done preety much all autumn on a southerly NW-SE track. This will enable colder NW airstream. Run up to christmas could go either way, wintry and unsettled with further low pressure systems moving in from the NW with embedded cold air, or something slightly milder with heights over mid atlantic ridging towards Greenland to kill off any significant deep NW plunges. Christmas to New Year could well be quite cold with high pressure overhead possibly slightly to the NE, frost rather than snow. 

January

Southerly tracking jet - unsettled and cold, bouts of snow or rain from the atlantic first half, possible drier colder second half, potentially very cold

February

Coldest month overall could be quite dry, easterlies.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
20 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Ok was going to wait until tomorrow to do this, but will do it now, for what its worth, here are my musings on winter. These are not based on any evidence, just my observations, significantly affected by variables such as ENSO, solar state, QBO, SST anomalies, pattern over autumn which I think is very influential,and just general feeling. Brief headlines for Jan and Feb only.

December

A good chance this could be quite a wintry month, but no deep freeze, with a varied first half, starting off cold dry and frosty, something then milder and wetter from the atlantic, before a shift back to colder conditions in the lead up to mid-month with the jetstream once again as it has done preety much all autumn on a southerly NW-SE track. This will enable colder NW airstream. Run up to christmas could go either way, wintry and unsettled with further low pressure systems moving in from the NW with embedded cold air, or something slightly milder with heights over mid atlantic ridging towards Greenland to kill off any significant deep NW plunges. Christmas to New Year could well be quite cold with high pressure overhead possibly slightly to the NE, frost rather than snow. 

January

Southerly tracking jet - unsettled and cold, bouts of snow or rain from the atlantic first half, possible drier colder second half, potentially very cold

February

Coldest month overall could be quite dry, easterlies.

I’ll snap your hand of for that forecast to become reality . Fingers crossed ?? and good luck with the forecast mate

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

I’ll snap your hand of for that forecast to become reality . Fingers crossed ?? and good luck with the forecast mate

I’ll second that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Former BBC weather forecaster John Hammond has issued his winter forecast

• Big fluctuations December
  • Drier and colder trend January and February

Full forecast is here for subscribers. Subscription is free. https://weathertrending.com/2019/11/30/winter-2019-20-mixed-trending-drier-colder/

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Former BBC weather forecaster John Hammond has issued his winter forecast

• Big fluctuations December
  • Drier and colder trend January and February

Full forecast is here for subscribers. Subscription is free. https://weathertrending.com/2019/11/30/winter-2019-20-mixed-trending-drier-colder/

I won't be too upset if that comes off.  When is the Netweather winter forecast going to be released?

• Like 1

Posted

Latest from the BBC monthly outlook.  A pretty average December really but seems to have moved away from the predominately mild conditions expected from recent updates.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Latest weather conditions and forecasts for the UK and the world. Includes up to 14-days of hourly forecast information, warnings, maps, and the latest editorial analysis and videos from the BBC...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, Don said:

I won't be too upset if that comes off.  When is the Netweather winter forecast going to be released?

Usually on or just after the 1st 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 hours ago, Don said:

More to the point who is doing it?

EDIT : lets get Rampling out of retirement to cook us up an Essential mix of cold and snow.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

There definitely is a big urban heat effect visible too, London, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and several other large cities just jump out as hot zones on the more recent one

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 2

Posted
22 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

More to the point who is doing it?

Me! 

That is a joke by the way......

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Statistical vs dynamical. Pick your side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
On 16/10/2019 at 06:38, Radiating Dendrite said:

After watching gav and his winter updates over the last few weeks, the analogues (yes, I know they can be flawed and don't believe in pattern matching per se) seem to be pointing to an unsettled start before gradually getting colder towards the backend of winter. 

Sticking my neck out early:

Dec: Wet, unsettled and above average....6.5c

Jan: Wet to start and then drier and colder.....4c

Feb: Dry and Cold....2.5c

March: Continuing cold to start......5c

Average for winter months 4.3c

Pretty happy with how my forecast is panning out - looking like I nailed December!

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Pretty happy with how my forecast is panning out - looking like I nailed December!

I hope you've nailed February, too!