Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Back to UK last night, some very heavy rain here in west London for the last couple of hours. Radar is interesting, with a feature looking like a squall line moving towards us from the SW. Definitely looks like this rain is needed, everything very yellow/brown here.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Absolutely chucking it down. The garden needs it so I can't complain. I quite enjoy heavy rain.

Pity it didn’t hold off as due to have tree surgeons in to reduce size of  a large tree in the garden.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't remember such a prolonged deluge for the school/college run in my many years of doing so. The main roads were flooded at very regular intervals causing Google maps to show the whole area as 'red' or 'black' no doubt added to by the heavy rain coming at school run time, so I took the back roads that were also flooded. Those braving the walk were soaked through and the scattered young adults tearing across the car park at my son's college were dripping wet before they even got to the classroom. Leaves and conkers are scattered all over the roads and pavements being sloshed around by the mini-lakes that have set up all over the place. For me this particular storm was notable for the longevity of the heavy rain fall. Let's see what the rest of the day brings ⛈️

Edit: I've just played the radar back and can see that this particular location got stuck under a trailing finger of very heavy rain, almost like the panhandle in the US, hence why it felt so prolonged.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

I don't remember such a prolonged deluge for the school/college run in my many years of doing so. The main roads were flooded at very regular intervals causing Google maps to show the whole area as 'red' or 'black' no doubt added to by the heavy rain coming at school run time, so I took the back roads that were also flooded. Those braving the walk were soaked through and the scattered young adults tearing across the car park at my son's college were dripping wet before they even got to the classroom. Leaves and conkers are scattered all over the roads and pavements being sloshed around by the mini-lakes that have set up all over the place. For me this particular storm was notable for the longevity of the heavy rain fall. Let's see what the rest of the day brings ⛈️

Edit: I've just played the radar back and can see that this particular location got stuck under a trailing finger of very heavy rain, almost like the panhandle in the US, hence why it felt so prolonged.

You should have walked as well. Greta Thunberg would be proud of you. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yep! badly needed rain...now we're at the back end of September just hope it doesn't go overboard and we experience nothing else. 4.2 mm here so far, so about the equivalent of one of the rainfalls earlier this month.

• Like 2

Posted

I did the walk this morning. Just got dried out. Now soaked again. I may just get my canoe out. Roads are flooded here. Watching the radar I can see it petering off to the NE.  Welcome Autumn. You were much, err, missed?

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, Snipper said:

You should have walked as well. Greta Thunberg would be proud of you. 

Bless her, I think she has Asperger's too (my son has it, not me). In all seriousness, I am a passionate walker and walk anything up to around 2 miles rather than even take public transport let alone the car as does the lad. Yesterday, we sat in the heavy traffic around the college campus (we suspect timetabling this year has been 'streamlined' to get everyone arriving and leaving at the same time, it's causing traffic chaos and I can't imagine the pollution that's resulting) and I found myself wondering if a three-mile walk there and then another one back might be worth it after all (dog might not appreciate it on his little stubby legs and it wouldn't quite be as good as Nonsuch Park I suspect!). It's now not unusual for the journey to take 30 minutes for those three miles, up to double that on the bus. If the bus journey takes too long, as poor soaked @Daenerys has just pointed out, a canoe might be more the order of the day! And we are now in the second round of heavy rain, bringing with it a crack of thunder, although the dark reds just circled around us this time. Got to go into London later, hoping the trains manage with the 'leaves on the line';)

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610Managed a walk between shower bands 

09576BFE-8798-46E3-B216-1514078B770C.jpeg

F89624DF-2371-4F67-9B6B-8963DFA94706.jpeg

Wellies needed I imagine plus a little dog with a wet muddy belly!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

No outdoor weeding for me today!:oldgrin:

read that as wedding , hope it all goes smoothly

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
10 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Wellies needed I imagine plus a little dog with a wet muddy belly!

Absolutely ! 

C08873D1-1749-40DD-AB0F-043D163BDCC1.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Proper rain finally both home and in the big smoke, soaked feet (which are still soggy even now) and legs on the way in to work but worth it to see some weather action and much needed rainfall for our corner!   

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I hope there will be more rain for tomorrow and that the rainfall that we get this week will be enough to refill the rivers, streams, reservoirs and rainwater butts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The rain has returned to Thurrock.  It started with light to moderate brief shower of rain that started from 15:26 for about 10 minutes. The rain seems to have stopped for now. The barometric pressure has been falling and it snow at at 999.5 hPa along with 75% humidity.  The temperature at 15:32 is 18.4°C.

• Like 1

The rain just hasn't stopped today - absolutely hammering it down again, thundering as well - it seems a few of the drains were struggling this morning, no idea what it's like now.

Edit: Now lightening

Going to be a pretty nasty commute back from Central for some tonight I think!

Edited by Uxbridge90

Posted

Rain like i haven't seen in a long time in London - insanely heavy - might need a boat to get home.

• Like 1

Posted

Is this whole heavy rain day the remnants of Humberto?  The rain is of tropical proportions now, I'm thinking that might be the ooomph factor here!

• Like 1

Posted

getting lighter hammering down sunshine. More akin to April than now. seriously angry skies.... rain wow

• Like 1