Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Feels absolutely great in this afternoons sunshine, feels much warmer than the actual temperature, smoke from whittlesea brick yard chimneys and the wind turbines saying dead calm, all the birds seem to be singing lovely roll on summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Near perfect winters day after that frosty start, lovely clear blue skies and barely any wind, currently 7°C. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Lovely day out there and we got down to -2.3 this morning with a heavy frost that didn’t melt until 11.30-11.45 in North facing areas.Currently 5.3 but feels warmer in the sun.It is a sad indictment that this morning was the third coldest of the winter so far and only second frost this month.I think the period mid feb-mid March will be the time winter will arrive for this part of the UK and if we had a 5-7 day cold spell with some snow I would bite your arm off lol!!I freely admit I had higher hopes for this winter and we were close in early December to getting a taste of winter but like the previous 5 years things didn’t go our way and since then it has been a fruitless winter in terms of snow.That said there are more important things in life and you win some you lose some.

enjoy the glorious sunshine this Arvo and Jack Frost looks like making a 3rd consecutive appearance tonight so don’t forget to put the cover on your cars this evening

Edited by Hotspur62
  • Like 2

Posted

Well the sun and the temperature are in the way down now. The only thing still riding is the air pressure which has broken through the 1050 barrier to currently stand at 1050.4

thats what you call high pressure. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Another resplendent winter sunset!

DD6180D0-127D-46C1-9A32-DDA269EA619F.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

Evening all, as I have no idea of what this all means, can someone explain what this high pressure breaking through 1050 all means? 

Thank you 

Edited by 3cats

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
13 minutes ago, Bazza118 said:

Well the sun and the temperature are in the way down now. The only thing still riding is the air pressure which has broken through the 1050 barrier to currently stand at 1050.4

thats what you call high pressure. 

I think you may need to adjust your stations elevation and relative slp - that's way too high for your location.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Hi Everyone,

lunchtime here in Montreal and it’s -10c with light snow falling. 

Seen 2 incredible snow events here since arriving and snow pretty much falling everyday from light showers to full on blizzards and it’s set to turn frigid cold tonight with -22c expected. 

I fly back next week and I’m glad to hear it’s finally stopped raining but not so glad to hear the 10 day chase is, as it were in November. 

Thankful to see snow this winter just a pity it wasn’t outside my own front door (Can’t beat snowfall at home) 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

A glorious end to a beautiful winters day. 

It was nice to see so many people out and about in the town making the most of it. The seafront cafes with outdoor seating were particularly busy. 

Pressure reached 1046.1 locally, that's some rise since Tuesdays 996.9!! 

IMG_20200119_170914.jpg

IMG_20200119_170836.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

What a super super Sunday. And it looks set to be dry right up till next weekend. Chilly tonight, so the fires roaring away. Was nice in the garden today. Hopefully might get a few chores done tomorrow in the potting shed. But probably spend time in the engine shed instesd. High Pressure so nice to see after the constant lows rattling in from the west. It was a superb sunset this afternoon and still light up till 4.50. Spring is just around the corner.  41 Days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

I've had this little barometer for a good few years now and I'm not sure how accurate it is,  but this is what it's currently reading.

High Pressure Record.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Our barometer is fed up with this crappy winter and has broken. Stuck on 'Changeable' but goes down a little if tapped. 

:oldrofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Shame the high pressure which is close to record breaking (my Barograph is at 1046mb) isn't centred near Scandinavia or further north of us then that would be something to talk about but in it's current position it really is nothing remarkable synoptically other than keeping us dry and sunny and going by the latest ECM not lasting that long!

This winter has been woeful to date...

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Does anyone know if we reached or broke the high pressure record today ?

I don't think so Debby. Here's a tweet from the Met Office this evening stating 1053.6hPa is the record set in Aberdeen in 1902 and is not likely to be broken "tonight".

1188999844_MetOffHighPressure19Jan.thumb.jpg.47966e67ebdd0f8db9de2f24c47228b7.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention the excellent blog from our own Nick F this afternoon:

ecmslp_024-crop.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Central pressure of intense anticyclone centred over SW England Sunday night could reach 1050 hPa, last time this happened was 16 Jan 1957.

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Hurricane Debby said:

I've had this little barometer for a good few years now and I'm not sure how accurate it is,  but this is what it's currently reading.

High Pressure Record.jpg

That's a really nice barometer but unfortunately I think its overeading, it looks to be showing 1052. The official readings from nearby Herstmonceux on Weathercast are currently reporting 1048.0 and still rising.

Edited to add that Herstmonceux still hasn't recorded an air frost this month although this morning it came the closest it's been at 0.3c. This morning saw another ground frost here though, only the 2nd one this month, yesterday was the first.

Edited by SenlacJack
Adding more info

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 minute ago, SenlacJack said:

That's a really nice barometer but unfortunately I think its overeading, it looks to be showing 1052. The official readings from nearby Herstmonceux on Weathercast are currently reporting 1048.0 and still rising.

I didn't think it would be accurate but heh, for it's age, it's not doing bad and still kind of working ! There's a little screw at the back to adjust it and I just found one of those little miniature screwdrive sets that I got out of an Xmas cracker. Result 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

Currently the readings I’m getting here in Redhill, temperature 0, and pressure at 1048.4. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I see the 12z ECM Op,  is at it again at Day 10 (t240):

image.thumb.png.3707191602aad487663199a791f8d0e4.png

Is it yet another trip up the "Garden Path", tease?

But as our Snowray suggests, evidently not, as it's a clear Mild Outlier, at the end of its Run.

image.png.d4cf31cad8e626271bdc886001c042a2.png

We shall see!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

I don't think so Debby. Here's a tweet from the Met Office this evening stating 1053.6hPa is the record set in Aberdeen in 1902 and is not likely to be broken "tonight".

1188999844_MetOffHighPressure19Jan.thumb.jpg.47966e67ebdd0f8db9de2f24c47228b7.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention the excellent blog from our own Nick F this afternoon:

ecmslp_024-crop.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Central pressure of intense anticyclone centred over SW England Sunday night could reach 1050 hPa, last time this happened was 16 Jan 1957.

Certainly the Welsh record has been broken however the highest English pressure record I can find is Highest: 28 January 1905, Falmouth, Cornwall 31.097 inches of mercury (1,053.1 hPa).[61] so not sure the English record has been broken?  

Looking at some of the highest values for the South East 

London/Heathrow 1949–2005 1047.3 1 09h 7 Feb 1964

South Farnborough 1957–2005 1047.9   (no data 1/1974–11/1983) 09h 7 Feb 1964

so those records may very well have been broken.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Beautiful evening . Crisp underfoot and when you step outside you feel the cold bite your face and attack your throat as you walk out . Beautiful 

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 5