South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Thank you Coopsy.  Having been a N-W member since 2005 and someone who rarely reveals personal information, I have to admit that since I became very ill with the Covid virus in early April I’ve experienced recurrent periods of exhaustion and struggled with concentration, or even being able to form coherent sentences and certainly struggled to recall things that I’d previously taken for granted. Yet today reading your experience of autumn and asking what triggered this beautiful season for others, it opened up for me the first coherent and crystal clear sense, for a very long time, of what my favourite season has always meant to me - so thank you for triggering that.  Apologies Mods, off thread but no disrespect intended.  Can report a maximum rain rate during this afternoon’s intense storm of 98.4 at 15:08 contributing to a total of 25.8mm today. 

Thank you for sharing though - that's quite a scary scenario, but I'm very pleased to hear that your recovery continues and this has helped in some way. I think the weather is such a powerful thing that has the ability to stimulate all of our senses, and as such can evoke such strong memories and feelings. And has clearly helped in this instance. I wish you a speedy recovery - and for all of those autumn senses to be realised this year (along with a foot of snow 🙂 )

Oh and I'm a fellow '05 class member 😉

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20.9 here after an overnight low of 16.8, cloud cover 8/8 and humidity is at 81%.

This time last week it was 10c hotter - i don't miss it, 23-25c is perfect for me.

Just heard a distant rumble in the distance - radar showing a rapidly growing cell just to the south east of Barnet.

Just had text from family member in Suffolk saying a 'mini' tornado just went by towards Boxford, I was watching from other side of storm thinking it might produce some scud funnel type thing on my side, but it was certainly ominous skies over that way. Storm has dissipated now or perhaps is picking up again around Stowmarket. Family member tells me it went right by them and towards house in field nearby. Some wobbly panoramics of the storm from my side. 

DSC06192crop.jpg

DSC06194crop.jpg

• Like 6

The last 4 days have been very dreary in London, dullest of summer. It was a quite nice evening today (yesterday) however it left it very late, how weather has turned I’ve had 33mm overall post heatwave 11mm on 16th and 23mm on 17th one big dumping, and few days with insignificant rain. I must say this is turning into a rather forgettable year for interesting weather much like 2019: no storms, no snow, no real gales, the heatwave was extraordinary but I didn’t enjoy it and I don’t think it was memorable apart from the discomfort. Cloud bubbled up frequently and it really did become very uncomfortable at night, the AC unit helped a great deal but that was towards end of heatwave, and of course it can only cool one room at a time. Must be nice to have built in like they do in states the leccy bill must be very very high. I think I read a shocking statistic in summer 73% of electricity in Saudi Arabia is used on air conditioning they need it there to stay alive! The growth of its usage in South Asia etc is contributing to increased emissions so really not good for combating global warming. We are fortunate in this country we don’t have to deal with such perishing heat, although we do in London get uncomfortable weather every summer, I still question whether it is truly worth it if usually is at most 2 weeks of discomfort. I’m very happy with purchase but perhaps if I didn’t have cash going spare I could manage sort of. Anyway, good night all starting to think more of autumn now, I’m noticing it more and more, trees browning and well it’s getting darker at 8! Next week sunrise be after 6am a big milestone as increasingly workers wake up in the dark, can’t say it’s most thrilling thought.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, essexweather said:

Loving these cooler nights after a week of 25-27C bedroom temps!

Well Mr Essex it’s still pretty mild - and those temperatures are routine for mine. Come back when it’s 32C! 

D8D3D276-2E74-426F-B04C-EDA097BAC7E9.thumb.png.3c750529daa5f25ff96482edce2c263f.png

2 hours ago, thunderpants said:

The weather has a different feel this morning,with a change in wind direction here from the past few days, stil quite humid  though.  

It smells like September. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

I hope out summer isn't over already. We need loads more sun without the extreme heat.

• Like 1
On 17/08/2020 at 08:19, Blessed Weather said:

Foggy start here in South Suffolk too. I thought I had been propelled into Autumn when I opened the curtains!

I wouldn't be surprised if this August ends up in the 'wetter' category. Certainly some torrential rain about yesterday and it seems to have been very soggy around Thetford Forest up in south Norfolk:

Netwx Extra radar totals: 450638559_NetwxRainfallTotalSat16Aug.thumb.png.e122378b4ea7e6d1880cffbb2e772291.png

That rain must have fell over Dover at night, cause we've had nothing during the day yesterday, and nothing so far today. Its a nice sunny day here now, but we need some rain, I've even got dead brown leaves in my hedge. Mostly green still, but it's losing some leaves, as they do when it's dry. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, moogyboobles said:

It has a more autumnal feel thats for sure,not a bad thing really and  i'll be glad to see the back of this humid weather, and look forward to fresher feeling days/nights.🙏

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Quite a nice day, 24C, gladiolus blooming nice splash of colour. 

36CD3402-2F73-4B90-9DA8-0D2894600433.thumb.jpeg.64dbd1ee06f10b9dd69f04f7a97ee26f.jpeg292C623E-3ABF-44A3-93A1-8EE421ECEB38.thumb.jpeg.b90ba3929c4605e99b5b8be5e59a8b42.jpeg

Didn’t know you could get white gladiolus, how pretty 💕 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here we go then, all change with the weather type as low pressure swings in off the Atlantic, with the centre tracking over Ireland on Thurs and and onto Scotland on Friday:

anim_eno0.gif

It doesn't look as if rain will be the talking point for our Region, with very little forecast over the next 4 days. Arpege cumulative rainfall Weds to midnight Saturday:

644693004_ArpegeCumPrecip19-23Aug.thumb.png.6f185d0e4abdcbee5261af34b51f9601.png

Thursday sees the area of strongest wind associated with the low move up the Irish Sea with our Region seeing no worse than a fairly average breezy day:

219974790_ArpegeGustsThu20Aug.thumb.png.3574ff6abe6d32d737b18e59c826162c.png

The strongest winds for our Region occurring on Friday afternoon as the storm moves into Scotland:

2071145473_ArpegeGustsFri21Aug16_00.thumb.png.b3df9b7f93b15485cc3487f70654eed1.png

• Like 6