South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Just had a brilliant thunderstorm here earlier. Had a downburst as well which almost knocked my next door neighbours tree over. Storm lasted for just over an hour with constant, bright IC/CC bolts of lightning and thunder. Best storm of the year here for sure.

66C458E5-1213-4A86-BA04-46B891C1FB31.jpeg

C03B7F95-159C-4199-AC31-1B8C80F9F321.jpeg

62C14CCF-D068-406E-A98A-802B7FB09A18.jpeg

0DAE60A2-0D71-4E93-9FA8-73CCF5DCCC6E.png

7A6248B3-877A-413A-8942-48CFD0C56741.png

• Like 6

Well, that was biblically epic. Or epically biblical.

Decided to go for a quick drive-ette to the west and park up to see what was what. Headed to one of my fave places just before Bradenham, lovely view, dark clouds, grumbly skies. Notice that it was probably going to heave down, so hopped back in car. Got hit by what can only be described as a wall of water. Thought, hmm, possible flooded roads, better head back. I should point out that I was chasing in Garfield Mini rather than my usual mode of transport for this sort of thing, my Vito. 

By the time I got into Bradenham (literally 2 mins and aa mile later), the roads were already flooding badly, things got progressively worse towards Ashill and Saham Toney, visible tarmac was non existent - actually visibility was non existent. Darkness punctuated by regular flashes of lightning. Crawled along until I got down to Saham, people desperately trying to stem the floods, and still it was heaving it down. Spotted flash Merc up to its sills in water, decided to go another way. Met 2 nice chaps who suggested I park in the community centre carpark and phone the OH for a lift back in the Range Rover. Good plan, except that the flood water was rising rapidly around the Community centre and I had no intention of abandoning Garfield to his fate. 

Negotiate road to Watton, noticing how bloody inconsiderate some drivers are, poor people trying to stop the water coming into their houses and complete morons happily charging through flood water sending huge waves down people's driveways. Water erupting from drains etc, notice smell of sewage. Get into Watton, still torrrential but High St passable; get back to Hingham, looks like there's been nothing more than a moderately heavy shower. Get back home and literally no rain at all. Have a look a map and see how far Garvestone is from Bradenham-Saham-Watton. 

Moral of this story - Minis are really versatile but never wait that extra 5 minutes just to see what might happen!

• Like 8
12 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Well, that was biblically epic. Or epically biblical.

Decided to go for a quick drive-ette to the west and park up to see what was what. Headed to one of my fave places just before Bradenham, lovely view, dark clouds, grumbly skies. Notice that it was probably going to heave down, so hopped back in car. Got hit by what can only be described as a wall of water. Thought, hmm, possible flooded roads, better head back. I should point out that I was chasing in Garfield Mini rather than my usual mode of transport for this sort of thing, my Vito. 

By the time I got into Bradenham (literally 2 mins and aa mile later), the roads were already flooding badly, things got progressively worse towards Ashill and Saham Toney, visible tarmac was non existent - actually visibility was non existent. Darkness punctuated by regular flashes of lightning. Crawled along until I got down to Saham, people desperately trying to stem the floods, and still it was heaving it down. Spotted flash Merc up to its sills in water, decided to go another way. Met 2 nice chaps who suggested I park in the community centre carpark and phone the OH for a lift back in the Range Rover. Good plan, except that the flood water was rising rapidly around the Community centre and I had no intention of abandoning Garfield to his fate. 

Negotiate road to Watton, noticing how bloody inconsiderate some drivers are, poor people trying to stop the water coming into their houses and complete morons happily charging through flood water sending huge waves down people's driveways. Water erupting from drains etc, notice smell of sewage. Get into Watton, still torrrential but High St passable; get back to Hingham, looks like there's been nothing more than a moderately heavy shower. Get back home and literally no rain at all. Have a look a map and see how far Garvestone is from Bradenham-Saham-Watton. 

Moral of this story - Minis are really versatile but never wait that extra 5 minutes just to see what might happen!

My friend lives in East Harling , I’m 3 miles away from him. They have been stuck under this for over 6 hours...however we have had nothing only until hour ago and nothing out of the ordinary... East Harling however are suffering with severe flash flooding, flooded homes, etc ... 

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Sadly it looks like the Dutch action is just heading out into the N Sea 😞

Is that not a good thing if it heads East to Norfolk? Finally getting rain and lightening in South Norwich though!

1 minute ago, runboy said:

Is that not a good thing if it heads East to Norfolk? Finally getting rain and lightening in South Norwich though!

Well the bulk of it is on a more northerly course but the stuff making landfall should provide a few sparks.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

The most useless summer on recors for storms here

Same. I'm so disappointed. The heatwave is over and realistically was probably the last time this year to get real heat and with it decent storms. Closest I got thus year was some distant rumbles and one random very loud gunshot thunderclap over head. No exit from the No Storms Club for me.

Rubbish.

• Like 1

The second storm lasted 45 minutes with near constant thunder and lightning before it cleared. Over 40mm of rain recorded in Peterborough according to a nearby weather station.

Today forecast to be fair went as planned really with the highest risk areas tending to get hit the hardest.

Avoided that microburst though that was reported nearby.

The next two days look pretty good for more showers and thunderstorms with plenty of warm air around.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Serious power shower thanks to our Dutch friends but nothing terribly sparky. Unfortunately I think it may have impacted the same area already hit by flooding.

Rain16Aug2020.JPG

Edited by Norfolk Sheep

On a separate note it’s been a absolutely Gorgeous evening here with some late evening sun 🌞 quite welcoming after a few days of grey slate skies . 

BA6A1D00-99FD-4745-BC94-2591E7C929CB.jpeg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

Really heavy heavy rain now and some booms

Only down the road from you, we have torrential rain  and thunder

17 minutes ago, andymcpool said:

Looking good NNE From sw11

7EC59D67-0CBB-48C4-BD26-5FFAF748516F.jpeg

Wow I didn’t even notice until I saw your post , that sprung from nowhere . This is the scene looking to my Northwest .  A Monster .

FA3AB211-05E4-49A5-9D31-47BBD9443260.jpeg

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 4