South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

The BBC app thingie has us down far a dreich 22C today, and thundery showers throughout tomorrow... Yeah, right!

How can you question such an accurate forecasting app! And the met office have been nothing but extremely accurate with their warnings of storms for this area! Shame on you 🤪😂 there is no doubt in my mind that we have at least 3 more days of storms to look forward to, cos the apps never lie.:olddb:

Ps. Send help, I’ve lost all perspective on reality :help:

• Like 4
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

There’s been a blob of rain over me for hours now (just SE of rochester on the radar). A very wet dreary morning. 

Edited by Coopsy

Well a dull muggy 19.5c start to the morning...as other posters have added about weather apps... for my area they have been absolutely useless all off them have. BBC which normally is one of the best has been dire. Since Wednesday it has shown rain for every hour since then. Before you all ask yes there is a percentage shown there is a chance,  at times it has shown 80% and been sunny for that hour.. 

As seen by senior forecasters they have said in this setup apps will be utter useless.

Anyhow I haven’t recorded any significant rain now here for over 3 weeks...

• Like 2

Morning all,

It's another overcast and very muggy start to the Day, here in S.E.London.

Local reporting Station (London City Airport), was recently recording a Temp of 18c and a Dew Point of 17c.

Which gives a relative humidity of 94%, no wonder it feels so humid!! 

Don't think there were any reports of Thunder around our Region overnight.

So those Forecasts that threatened it, were a complete bust again.

But never fear Storm Lovers, Forecasts are going for it again Today.

Had quick glance at the Radar just now, and it shows some more "beefy" ppn, forming just to the N.E. of London.

Feeling very old Today, it's my Youngest's 37th Birthday Today (ouch) but she'll always be my little Princess.

Must now get over to my Horse Racing Competition Thread, where I've got a lot of work on before Racing starts.

Should you Brontophiles get lucky, and get a bit of Thunder Today.

Could you please go steady with the Lightning bolts over Berkshire (Newbury), and Cambridgeshire (Newmarket).

It frightens the Racehorses!! 

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Up to 19C now, with a dew-point somewhere around 18C... But, looking on the bright side -- it's getting brighter!:oldgrin:

PS: And, for anyone-else who's sick of the recent pyrotechnical letdowns, The Legend of Bruce Lee (Netflix) has 50 episodes!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

The price we pay after a heatwave is dull and gloom for days, still muggy, I wouldn’t say summer is over, these days September can turn out to be warm. I would have thought we will have at least one more shot of very warm weather before autumn proper sets in but might have to wait until some point in September.

Edited by clark3r
  • Like 1

Steady light rain here in Herne bay for the past hour. I can literally see the grass changing colour so that's a positive in my book!

Just driven through some heavy rain on the A12 North of Chelmsford, no thunder or lightening as far as I could tell. Back home and the murk seems to be lifting a bit. Dare I say it might even be brightening up.

I remain very sceptical of the met office forecast and warnings for the next few days but time will tell.

2 hours ago, clark3r said:

The price we pay after a heatwave is dull and gloom for days, still muggy, I wouldn’t say summer is over, these days September can turn out to be warm. I would have thought we will have at least one more shot of very warm weather before autumn proper sets in but might have to wait until some point in September.

I think we’ve had a very warm/hot spell in the last two or three Septembers (at least locally) so I’d imagine we might see similar again this year.

Typically, the weather is going full on Atlantic the last week of August as that’s our week off work!

Here, we had 9.4mm of rain around 7am this morning, no thunder though. Been cloudy and misty all morning but now sunny spells and up to 23.7c

• Like 1

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4
23 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

Fog definitely has a ‘smell’, not sure if it’s just me lol or if others agree? Love fog and mist in autumn. The colours changing in the trees. Mellow sunshine and hints of late warmth. Sometimes there’s a dank smell though, if it’s too wet and leaves and vegetation rot without drying out at all. Enjoy the smells of distant bonfires and love Halloween and Bonfire Night.

• Like 4

Absolutely chucking it down here now in Sittingbourne, thunder rumbling too.

There's even a breeze as the nets are blowing inwards.

The fake grass out the back is finally getting puddles on - such a lovely sight 😃

Edited by Natty68

Had some occasional drizzle this morning with overcast skies  , Now we have heavier rain and the radar seems to be propping up more heavier precipitation.

1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

It’s autumn for me when the leaves start falling! Love walking through crispy autumn leaves, and when we get the first proper colder nights, breathing in that cold, crisp air.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

It’s autumn for me when the leaves start falling! Love walking through crispy autumn leaves, and when we get the first proper colder nights, breathing in that cold, crisp air.

I cannot wait! 

• Like 3

Incredible rainfall here in Chelmsford and one almighty crash of thunder a short time ago, starting to ease off a little now.

Edited by Mustang

Drove through the most intense rain I've ever seen in the UK around the Canterbury area. So dangerous. Floodwater everywhere and almost no visibility and of course idiots flying by at 80mph

• Sad 3

"51 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Very heavy rain up in Chelmsford currently, just seen a video of one of the main shopping centres flooding. And yet here, about 12 miles away, we’ve had barely any rain today, so it’s all very localised"

I can testify to that. As my 91 year old uncle is unwell I popped over to Writtle to see him. I left about 4 O'clock and had difficulty leaving his house down the footpath to my car. I then drove the 4 miles to my house in North Springfield which took over 30 minutes. All the local roads and main roads were flooded and meant crawling through the deep water. It was particularly bad at the start of the Chelmer Valley route at the junction with Rectory Road and is not helped by the roadworks currently in place.

The intensity of the rain resulted in the worst flash flooding for a number of years.

It has now stopped.

At least I won't have to water my allotment this evening.

It still feels oppressingly humid.

The above is a post I made on the Storm & Convective Thread about half an hour ago which I have emboldened to add to the comments from Thunderstruck.

After a dry period of about 45 minutes it has just started raining again but not as heavy as earlier, at least not yet.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 3