Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Posted Images

Just driven through some heavy rain on the A12 North of Chelmsford, no thunder or lightening as far as I could tell. Back home and the murk seems to be lifting a bit. Dare I say it might even be brightening up.

I remain very sceptical of the met office forecast and warnings for the next few days but time will tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clark3r said:

The price we pay after a heatwave is dull and gloom for days, still muggy, I wouldn’t say summer is over, these days September can turn out to be warm. I would have thought we will have at least one more shot of very warm weather before autumn proper sets in but might have to wait until some point in September.

I think we’ve had a very warm/hot spell in the last two or three Septembers (at least locally) so I’d imagine we might see similar again this year.

Typically, the weather is going full on Atlantic the last week of August as that’s our week off work!

Here, we had 9.4mm of rain around 7am this morning, no thunder though. Been cloudy and misty all morning but now sunny spells and up to 23.7c

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

Fog definitely has a ‘smell’, not sure if it’s just me lol or if others agree? Love fog and mist in autumn. The colours changing in the trees. Mellow sunshine and hints of late warmth. Sometimes there’s a dank smell though, if it’s too wet and leaves and vegetation rot without drying out at all. Enjoy the smells of distant bonfires and love Halloween and Bonfire Night.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely chucking it down here now in Sittingbourne, thunder rumbling too.

 

There's even a breeze as the nets are blowing inwards.

 

The fake grass out the back is finally getting puddles on - such a lovely sight 😃

Edited by Natty68
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

It’s autumn for me when the leaves start falling! Love walking through crispy autumn leaves, and when we get the first proper colder nights, breathing in that cold, crisp air.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

It’s autumn for me when the leaves start falling! Love walking through crispy autumn leaves, and when we get the first proper colder nights, breathing in that cold, crisp air.

I cannot wait! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove through the most intense rain I've ever seen in the UK around the Canterbury area. So dangerous. Floodwater everywhere and almost no visibility and of course idiots flying by at 80mph

Link to post
Share on other sites

  "51 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Very heavy rain up in Chelmsford currently, just seen a video of one of the main shopping centres flooding. And yet here, about 12 miles away, we’ve had barely any rain today, so it’s all very localised"

I can testify to that. As my 91 year old uncle is unwell I popped over to Writtle to see him. I left about 4 O'clock and had difficulty leaving his house down the footpath to my car. I then drove the 4 miles to my house in North Springfield which took over 30 minutes. All the local roads and main roads were flooded and meant crawling through the deep water. It was particularly bad at the start of the Chelmer Valley route at the junction with Rectory Road and is not helped by the roadworks currently in place.

The intensity of the rain resulted in the worst flash flooding for a number of years.

It has now stopped.

At least I won't have to water my allotment this evening.

It still feels oppressingly humid.

The above is a post I made on the Storm & Convective Thread about half an hour ago which I have emboldened to add to the comments from Thunderstruck.

After a dry period of about 45 minutes it has just started raining again but not as heavy as earlier, at least not yet.

Kind Regards

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another fun trip on the m11, this time at Harlow where clearly a torrential downpour had just hit with a small quart of a mile stretch covered in water, probably the same cell as the one the hit Chelmsford. A complete gloom fest Cambridge northwards with drizzle in Peterborough.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A band of heavy rain and showers moving NNW just to the east of us here in East Ham. We may get something from it or we may not. 

Currently 20c with 94% humidity so rain wouldn't be the biggest surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Fog definitely has a ‘smell’, not sure if it’s just me lol or if others agree? Love fog and mist in autumn. The colours changing in the trees. Mellow sunshine and hints of late warmth. Sometimes there’s a dank smell though, if it’s too wet and leaves and vegetation rot without drying out at all. Enjoy the smells of distant bonfires and love Halloween and Bonfire Night.

I always smell fog, it smells like the smoke of a distant fire to me. Probably exhaust fumes or something. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...