Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Just driven through some heavy rain on the A12 North of Chelmsford, no thunder or lightening as far as I could tell. Back home and the murk seems to be lifting a bit. Dare I say it might even be brightening up.

I remain very sceptical of the met office forecast and warnings for the next few days but time will tell.

Posted
2 hours ago, clark3r said:

The price we pay after a heatwave is dull and gloom for days, still muggy, I wouldn’t say summer is over, these days September can turn out to be warm. I would have thought we will have at least one more shot of very warm weather before autumn proper sets in but might have to wait until some point in September.

I think we’ve had a very warm/hot spell in the last two or three Septembers (at least locally) so I’d imagine we might see similar again this year.

Typically, the weather is going full on Atlantic the last week of August as that’s our week off work!

Here, we had 9.4mm of rain around 7am this morning, no thunder though. Been cloudy and misty all morning but now sunny spells and up to 23.7c

• Like 1

Posted

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
23 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

This morning it felt quite autumnal. And it got me thinking about the things I love when the season turns to autumn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. In Canada I loved September living in the Rockies. It’d start off warm and sunny (and the tourists would have gone). The leaves would then change to yellow and red as September progressed and there would start to be a chill in the air. 

The first snows would appear on top of the mountains and then every few days snow would come further down the mountains until one morning (usually early October) the first snows of the season would fall in the town. 

Here in the UK I love the foggy mornings and cooler evenings, smells of fireplaces and wrapping up warm. Hoping that the first snows of the season would arrive at all lol.

Are there any smells, sights, feelings that others here have that mean that autumn has arrived for them? 

Fog definitely has a ‘smell’, not sure if it’s just me lol or if others agree? Love fog and mist in autumn. The colours changing in the trees. Mellow sunshine and hints of late warmth. Sometimes there’s a dank smell though, if it’s too wet and leaves and vegetation rot without drying out at all. Enjoy the smells of distant bonfires and love Halloween and Bonfire Night.

• Like 4

Posted

Absolutely chucking it down here now in Sittingbourne, thunder rumbling too.

There's even a breeze as the nets are blowing inwards.

The fake grass out the back is finally getting puddles on - such a lovely sight

Edited by Natty68

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Warm and humid with hardly a breeze in Eastbourne, hazy sun too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Looks like there's more trouble brewing for my area going by the radar, and we don't need it HERE. # Sod off rain!!. At least my house is nice and coolish now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Had some occasional drizzle this morning with overcast skies  , Now we have heavier rain and the radar seems to be propping up more heavier precipitation.

Posted
1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

It’s autumn for me when the leaves start falling! Love walking through crispy autumn leaves, and when we get the first proper colder nights, breathing in that cold, crisp air.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

It’s autumn for me when the leaves start falling! Love walking through crispy autumn leaves, and when we get the first proper colder nights, breathing in that cold, crisp air.

I cannot wait! 

• Like 3

Posted

Incredible rainfall here in Chelmsford and one almighty crash of thunder a short time ago, starting to ease off a little now.

Edited by Mustang

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Drove through the most intense rain I've ever seen in the UK around the Canterbury area. So dangerous. Floodwater everywhere and almost no visibility and of course idiots flying by at 80mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

"51 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Very heavy rain up in Chelmsford currently, just seen a video of one of the main shopping centres flooding. And yet here, about 12 miles away, we’ve had barely any rain today, so it’s all very localised"

I can testify to that. As my 91 year old uncle is unwell I popped over to Writtle to see him. I left about 4 O'clock and had difficulty leaving his house down the footpath to my car. I then drove the 4 miles to my house in North Springfield which took over 30 minutes. All the local roads and main roads were flooded and meant crawling through the deep water. It was particularly bad at the start of the Chelmer Valley route at the junction with Rectory Road and is not helped by the roadworks currently in place.

The intensity of the rain resulted in the worst flash flooding for a number of years.

It has now stopped.

At least I won't have to water my allotment this evening.

It still feels oppressingly humid.

The above is a post I made on the Storm & Convective Thread about half an hour ago which I have emboldened to add to the comments from Thunderstruck.

After a dry period of about 45 minutes it has just started raining again but not as heavy as earlier, at least not yet.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another fun trip on the m11, this time at Harlow where clearly a torrential downpour had just hit with a small quart of a mile stretch covered in water, probably the same cell as the one the hit Chelmsford. A complete gloom fest Cambridge northwards with drizzle in Peterborough.

• Like 2

Posted

A band of heavy rain and showers moving NNW just to the east of us here in East Ham. We may get something from it or we may not. 

Currently 20c with 94% humidity so rain wouldn't be the biggest surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Fog definitely has a ‘smell’, not sure if it’s just me lol or if others agree? Love fog and mist in autumn. The colours changing in the trees. Mellow sunshine and hints of late warmth. Sometimes there’s a dank smell though, if it’s too wet and leaves and vegetation rot without drying out at all. Enjoy the smells of distant bonfires and love Halloween and Bonfire Night.

I always smell fog, it smells like the smoke of a distant fire to me. Probably exhaust fumes or something. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Still no thunder and no rain....

Humidity horrible today. Next week looking very different though with strong winds and rain.