South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Big flash of lightning a loud rumble of thunder from what seemed like from nowhere , just been to shops 10 mins ago and saw blue skies moving in , Now getting dark once more .

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Very Loud Thunder in Rickmansworth, been waiting all day for rain after missing yesterday’s storm, I wonder if this one will pass us by, seems a lot of activity in Borehamwood area

Finally got s few minutes of rain here in lowland East London but no thunder or lightning.

With the circulation revolving round the LP in the Channel I'm looking at disturbances coming out of NE France or Belgium for my neck of the woods.

Suspect we may get something more substantial overnight.

4 minutes ago, Chloe said:

Storm West London

4 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Big flash of lightning a loud rumble of thunder from what seemed like from nowhere , just been to shops 10 mins ago and saw blue skies moving in , Now getting dark once more .

Just checked the radar and it literally came out of nowhere. At 6.40 nothing, by 7pm very noticeable cell!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Just checked the radar and it literally came out of nowhere. At 6.40 nothing, by 7pm very noticeable cell!

Yeah agree it seems a relatively small cell as there is quite a lot of blue sky around . This is where the couple of strikes came from but I can’t see anything significant really .

AE9C4123-D4E3-4874-AF09-287AFA829563.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear from anyone in the St Ives - Swavesey - Fen Drayton area - they've literally been under it since about 10am this morning and it shows no signs of letting up. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I'm interested to hear from anyone in the St Ives - Swavesey - Fen Drayton area - they've literally been under it since about 10am this morning and it shows no signs of letting up. 

My youngest son lives in Huntingdon and my wife spoke to him mid afternoon. He told her that it had been raining all day. That's about 10 miles from Swavesey and St. Ives but a bit less from Fen Drayton

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, MAF said:

yep

I had to go back and re-check what I wrote earlier, a good bit of editing MAF 😂

Still no storms here, what a big fat disappointment 😫😭

I think in no doubt for level of heat and expected thunderstorms this has been arguably the biggest let down in years and years. I don think I can remember such a big let down. This reminds me of snowmageddon not appearing despite the easterly and the garden path!!!!!!

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, k66yla said:

Got soaked earlier at work in Maidstone. Not long got home to Ashford and looks like not a single drop has fallen here.

Nope.. nothing all day here. A chance that there's some rain on it's way from France.... no thunder to speak of in it though.

Flooding in Biggin Hill (only at foot of Salt Box Hill, which is renowned for it) and in Malden (Surrey) I understand they had really bad flooding!  Nothing more here....gutted really! However.....there maybe more to come, so fingers crossed!  And, then I'm pretty sure we're due an epic winter 😍!

Edited by scrat
23 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Nope.. nothing all day here. A chance that there's some rain on it's way from France.... no thunder to speak of in it though.

Can’t put up with heat much longer. I’ve the air con running in the bedroom with the door shut so at least I’ll be able to get some sleep tonight but the rest of the house is like a sauna.

• Like 1

One heavy shower this morning with a few rumbles, but nothing since. 

Seems like an age since we had a decent storm here in Essex. Would've thought we'd be nailed on for it given the past week! 

31 minutes ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

I've had a few drops of rain here in North London and thats it. Every storm has developed just north, west or south.

Last 24 hour precipitation shows this well 

image.png.35a8a6dc5a23baae98d7306f41cf3c29.png

I share your frustration, here’s hoping that what’s heading over the channel right now delivers something later

33 minutes ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

I've had a few drops of rain here in North London and thats it. Every storm has developed just north, west or south.

Last 24 hour precipitation shows this well 

image.png.35a8a6dc5a23baae98d7306f41cf3c29.png

Just got caught out by a storm in my walk! Rain started, thought I’d turn around and then there was what seemed like a close strike and a huge boom of thunder! I thought ‘best run back!’. Got a bit wet.