South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Very loud Thunder now . Scared by 5 year old her eyes 👀 nearly popped out her head and she wants cuddles . 

Yes it's really crackling and booming loudly overhead now with regular lightning and heavy rain. And yes, my son and I did do a quick celebratory rain dance in the garden, then ran in as the sky appeared to split above us! 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Reefseeker said:

I think Paul Sherman mentioned in the storm thread something about a convergence line similar to a Thames Streamer in the winter. 

Hi Angela,

Yes, it's what our Thames Corridor dwellers crave in the Winter Months.

I vividly remember a back building T/Storm Streamer, that set up across N.Kent/S.E.London, at the end of a very warm/humid spell in September, a few Years ago.

I was TomSE20 at the time, and living in Anerley.

I can remember Steve Murr having his Basement Flat flooded by the event.

I think he lived in Bexleyheath, then.

If you view the current Radar animation, you can see the steering flow, turn more into the E, rather than S.E.

https://en.meteox.com/en-gb?fc=0&lightning=1

Regards,

Tom. :hi:   

• Like 1

I have no words I’ve endured most horrible night temps in this country 4 nights with minimums >20C and I can’t even get some rain? I’m still on 0.0mm for August. It never used to be like this.

F063ED4A-9DCB-4943-8761-90F89F6C453A.thumb.png.08656e9ea83909a424334be6231ce760.png

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Mr Brown said:

Seriously? This thunderstorm seems like it’s gonna slip south of me here in Lewisham. It’s very dark here with distant thunder. 

Croydon, Bromley, Sutton, Epsom and the likes getting the action. *sigh* 

I’m in Horley and there has been almost nothing here all day. A few blobs of rain, rumbles miles in the distance. No convection. No activity at all. Yet down the road in Merstham (can’t be more than 6-7 miles?) just spoke to a friend who has had the worst storm she’s ever seen, hail, lightening, huge gusts, aqua-planing cars. FLOATING cars, overflowing drains, carnage. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase localised downpours... 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I have no words I’ve endured most horrible night temps in this country 4 nights with minimums >20C and I can’t even get some rain? I’m still on 0.0mm for August. It never used to be like this.

F063ED4A-9DCB-4943-8761-90F89F6C453A.thumb.png.08656e9ea83909a424334be6231ce760.png

Where are you Daniel? 

7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It's crazy Daniel*, not a million miles awyay from you and the top temp here in Boxmoor/Hemel today was 22.7c, currently 20.9c, but still very humid though. Big change from yesterday's temps.

1 minute ago, pureasthedriven said:

I’m in Horley and there has been almost nothing here all day. A few blobs of rain, rumbles miles in the distance. No convection. No activity at all. Yet down the road in Merstham (can’t be more than 6-7 miles?) just spoke to a friend who has had the worst storm she’s ever seen, hail, lightening, huge gusts, aqua-planing cars. FLOATING cars, overflowing drains, carnage. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase localised downpours... 

Yep I’m in Merstham and can confirm all that and more. We had 2/3 very close lighting strikes and all we could for a 45 mins was various sirens. Never seen it so bad here. We had to go out three times and try to unblock the train as water was rising rapidly. 

Nothing of note in SW19. I would describe it as a thundery shower, despite the fact that it was pitch dark beforehand. Good dose of rain mind and high level thunder but not a smidgen of lightning bizarrely. Temp now 20.8c so at least thats something. Seen better 'thunderstorms' in January. 

1 hour ago, Snow Queen one said:

On top of Wrotham hill sitting watching the rain fall Top of Wrotham hill sitting in a car watching

I made it halfway up Exedown Hill just to the West of Wrotham. Almost biblical rain wasn’t it???

17 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Yep, distant rumbles drizzly rain and humidity. 

It seems like all the thunderstorms that has formed this week has received a word of caution to deliberately avoid my area of London lol. 

I mean, at least it’s cooler now? 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Seems to all being to the South West of me. How annoying. I can hear the rumbles but nothing to show for it!

We are very unlucky today. Another storm due to pass us by, this time to the north - we might get lucky if it builds into a bigger storm 

Edited by Coopsy

Meanwhile in Norfolk ing hopeless it's cold enough to warrant a hoodie when working outside. Brief glimpses of the sun all day, mostly dull and overcast and pretty chilly.

I hate it. I hate it all. 

• Sad 4

Missed out again. Nearest lightning and thunder was a strike or two towards Harrow.  Perhaps 5 mins of rain, not heavy, no more than a 1ml. A grand total of 2ml today. Temperature dropped to a comfortable 25°c, but humidity at 66%.

Rumbling away here in Faversham. No lightning to be seen though and nothing being picked up on any lightning maps. No rain either ... which would be so so welcome right about now! 

30 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Where are you Daniel? 

Surrey Docks, Rotherhithe across river to east is Canary Wharf a hidden part of London not known at all really - very quiet, leafy and residential. Even have a farm! 

• Like 2

It's at this time, as the steering flow turns to the East in Winter, I Post up a link to the Dutch Radar Site, Buienradar:

https://www.buienradar.nl/

I wonder if those T/Storms crashing away over Belgium and the South of the Netherlands will get sucked towards us.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I would have thought you'd have had some relief from the Thames that snakes around your part of the world, but clearly not.

I work on the isle of dogs - it is indeed and little known quiet part of the world.

22 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Meanwhile in Norfolk ing hopeless it's cold enough to warrant a hoodie when working outside. Brief glimpses of the sun all day, mostly dull and overcast and pretty chilly.

I hate it. I hate it all. 

Good lord.!!

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Rumbles kicking off again. The rain is here, its finally here! 

It's been 84 years!

Lol feels like it.

Yup absolute downpour here and huge raindrops - thought the thunder sounds like it stopped when the rain got here. Strange storm.

Edit: Just as I said that the rain calmed down and thunder returned. Maybe it was so heavy I just couldnt hear the rumbles.

It looks like a secondary storm is forming behind it and heading our way - maybe within 30 mins

Edited by Coopsy