Blessed Weather

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Yet more rain here in west London, quite heavy, too. We did need some and I like heavy rain from time to time but it’s starting to get very monotonous. Would be good to get a period of high pressure soon, as Autumn sunshine, frosts, mists and fogs are beautiful.

Hi Katrine

Do the fungi look edible (as in not poison you, I clarify that before some joker steps in and says ‘they’re all edible it’s what happens afterwards that counts!’) I do love a field mushroom for breakfast! 🤪 Can be a bit risky I’ve got an fungi identifier book but quite nervous trying beyond the really obvious safe ones?! 

Nice thunder and lightning here atm. 

Earlier this evening we had sun shinning through the showers producing a beautiful rainbow 🤩

IMG_20191017_171811.jpg

IMG_20191017_172250.jpg

IMG_20191017_171806.jpg

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

Hi Katrine

Do the fungi look edible (as in not poison you, I clarify that before some joker steps in and says ‘they’re all edible it’s what happens afterwards that counts!’) I do love a field mushroom for breakfast! 🤪 Can be a bit risky I’ve got an fungi identifier book but quite nervous trying beyond the really obvious safe ones?! 

Hello Bluebell,

I am not sure if the edible but I have seen on countryside/nature TV programmes where experienced forest foragers say that it is best to avoid picking mushrooms to eat, unless you are very sure that they are safe.

This evening at 6:30pm there was a few claps of very loud thunder with a crackle lightning which I saw from the corner of my eye as I was going towards the kitchen.  Then there was a very heavy downpour of rain.

Lovely deep thunder in Bexhill!

Edited by LightningLover

9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yet more rain here in west London, quite heavy, too. We did need some and I like heavy rain from time to time but it’s starting to get very monotonous. Would be good to get a period of high pressure soon, as Autumn sunshine, frosts, mists and fogs are beautiful.

Definitely wouldn’t say no to a bit of frost & fog, but frost seems to be the new snow. 

Just now, shotski said:

Definitely wouldn’t say no to a bit of frost & fog, but frost seems to be the new snow. 

Only if Dami has some frost boots 👢 can it become the new snow ⛄️ 

Fungi galore in here tonight ! 😂Yes I think you’re right Katrine it could be a nasty business picking one you think seems safe but is actually a confusion species. I’d like to go on a proper foraging course, in the meantime I’ll stick to enjoying everyone pictures of them! 
On the weather, just had an almighty downpour pretty sure there was a big flash across the sky, but might’ve been the Ashford-Brighton train trundling through the marsh?..

2 minutes ago, Snowflake Queen said:

Only if Dami has some frost boots 👢 can it become the new snow ⛄️ 

Plus the lamppost watch might be a little on the dull side 😕

2 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

Stunning non edible fungi in Esher common this morning .... I know everybody knows it but my goodness what another wet day across Surrey into central London !

F78A180A-FDEB-4B33-BD09-079CF0535641.jpeg

9581555D-396C-4A3F-8617-3D481ED0527C.jpeg

020A89E1-A132-4E73-8159-3238BBB31F73.jpeg

Feel you are exaggerating a little there was several bouts of heavy showery rain but it was largely dry rather lovely in autumnal sunshine still a little warmth makes a change it’s been so dull. Nice pics btw.

2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Feel you are exaggerating a little there was several bouts of heavy showery rain but it was largely dry rather lovely in autumnal sunshine still a little warmth makes a change it’s been so dull. 

To be fair, some parts of both London and Surrey have seen 20mm plus of rain since this morning.

These are the 12 hour rain totals:
screenshot-www.netweather.tv-2019.10.17-21_53_04.png

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

To be fair, some parts of both London and Surrey have seen 20mm plus of rain since this morning.

Absolutely another wet day !

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

I happen to be in that green corridor but not nearly as bad as some forgive me 😳 although maintain it’s not been a wet day in central but nor a dry one.

Heavy rain and menacing wind, sounds and looks on radar like a squall line coming up from the South and has just produced loud rumbling thunder!

ThunderRumbleSquallOct2019.thumb.JPG.78d16e1b5650aedba10943a9344bdf93.JPG

Edited by Despicable Weather
Add Radar screen grab

Ajhhhhh hahaha ha!!!! That lightning was nutty!!! The rain is absolutely insane!!!! Like tropical... Car alarms going off!! Like an intense summer storm 

No electrical activity here, but the squall produced some intense rainfall for a short time (Torrential-extreme on my scale), and strong convective wind gusts.

How odd, some lightning and thunder 5 minutes or so ago but nothing on the the lightning maps! But then for me blitzortung is down so perhaps that is part of it.

Nothing here up the coast here in Wivenhoe but that rain was immense. I'm just waiting on 3 soaking and unimpressed cats to come home now. 

Update, Flash off towards Harwich just now.

1 hour ago, moogyboobles said:

How odd, some lightning and thunder 5 minutes or so ago but nothing on the the lightning maps! But then for me blitzortung is down so perhaps that is part of it.

Can’t be bad, being woken up by an unexpected bang in the morning. It is Friday after all 😁

I screen grabbed the squall line early this morning.. Very very intense squall line well it was here anyway.. So glad I woke up for it.. The Hail smashing into the windows was crazy and the roaring noise coming from the roof with all the rain and Hail.. Hands down most intense squall I've witnessed here.. Crazy weather 

Screenshot_20191018_015528_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.49af27c6bcb92489ead184e9ad9759df.jpg