South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Any chance of storms for the region today, I live in the infamous mid essex storm shield so I have no hope.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Almost 1000 people have died every year in 2018 and 2019 as a direct result of heatwaves in the UK. That doesn’t include all the hospital admission due to respiratory issues. That means as we speak people are dying from this heatwave. It’ll be a bit difficult for them to get used to it.

It’s easy to be flippant when it’s perceived to be a week of hot weather and we’ll be back to rain soon enough. For some this is life or death. For the majority such as us it’s a temporary discomfort.

Spending time with the elderly and vulnerable you see it all too often in this type of set up.

Just saying that there’s a side to every argument   

(sorry to be a debbie downer as they say but seeing it first hand makes me a little passionate about it - that’s why I bang on about air con to anyone who’s suffering) 

Its the best thing to have, the units do hot, cold and just blowing air so multi purpose and very efficient.

I suffer from the heat days and have to work out in it a lot, nothing better than coming back into cool air to get your core body temp down and lovely nights sleep.

Thats a very interesting stat there, 1000 every year die due to heatwaves, brings into perspective the current few deaths of a certain thing going around this summer.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, snow raven said:

@Coopsy, what aircon unit do you have?  I was saying to my husband yesterday we should invest in one but want recommendations before splashing any cash!

We’ve got perm air con now as it was so effective we thought why not. But before that we got a unit from b and q for about £180 about 3 years ago. I’ve still got it so I’ll check for you but I think they are improving every year regarding noise and efficiency. Best time is probably autumn for a deal. 

The one I got my parents this year was the Takoma from b and q. It’s 9000BTU (I think it’s good for about 250sq feet)  and works really well. Annoyingly I paid about £260 and it’s under £200 now. It’s a bit noisy (as they mostly are) about 60dB but I used to turn mine off just before bed and the room stayed cool most of the night 

@Daniel* what do you think of them. (He’s just bought one 😁

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

MO already had loads storms breaking out by now.

Latest radar shows nothing and sat pics show very little proper cloud.

Are they delayed or are the dynamics not working for them.

Just seen the BBC lunchtime weather with Chris Fawkes...still looks very underwhelming in this region (though he did harp on about the fact rain could be torrential if you got some), could be the odd storm tonight but they looked like decaying or moving away westwards, Thursday has defo been downgraded with little in the way of convective activity towards East Anglia, Friday looks like more widespread but by then wouldn't at all surprise me to see more cloud cover and steady rain as opposed to T-storms.

Just my take on it...hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Doesn't look great for our region to be honest, but never was really foretasted to be in the first place. AROME has a few cells that may pop up but I imagine they won't be up to much. Better to expect nothing, switch off the radar and open up a cold beer in the garden and be pleasantly surprised if something does happen. 

Ooo, the sun has gone behind a cloud here.  I could literally feel the temperature drop! Please let there be storms later!

Thanks @Coopsy, I will keep researching and getting recommendations and wait for any autumn sales! This type of heat is getting much to common for my liking now, so think it will hopefully be a sound investment 🤞

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

MO already had loads storms breaking out by now.

Latest radar shows nothing and sat pics show very little proper cloud.

Are they delayed or are the dynamics not working for them.

Wish I knew. If this was the 1980’s, there’d have already been a few MCS’s, probably a tornado and widespread flooding. MetO Fax charts are showing a trough affecting the region from this evening for several days. So there’s hope lol

• Like 4

Ok, I admit it...I'm miserable now!! Just too humid. I lived in southern Spain for 7 years and the heat never bothered me but this is getting to me now. Asthma playing up and no water for 48 hours. 

Please weather Gods, give us storms and lots of rain! (Keep checking radar and nothing....)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

32c, 40% humidity and maybe because it’s been going on for weeks now, today feels worse than any other. Tomorrow forecasted to be 30c again, friday 23c allegedly that’s if they don’t put that up again too. Today was supposed to be the last of the hot days, but now not. And if my moaning annoys anybody, feel free to ignore my posts, just skip on past them, no offence will be taken. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, nanu said:

Got Towers shooting up here on a strong breeze... 

Yep, can see them from Bexleyheath 👍

Just had a breeze blow through the house that slammed the front room door! 😂

• Like 1

Nice breeze is bringing some relief, more clouds around today too which will hopefully develop some storms.

• Like 1

Looks like everything is going bang! Big cloud development in the last hour, and a couple of small but intense cells in the London area already. Let the fun begin!

• Like 1

The development between me and towards heathrow (nothing out east) has at least 4 towers climbing, its like watching in timelapse,, but isnt.  This could be big!

• Like 2