South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Will be very unusual if we don’t get a storm to finish this heatwave, more important in this area we need rain, I can only really remember about 3 or 4 days where we have had any proper rainfall since March.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

I’ve officially given up hope. No hope of a storm, no hope this god awful heat will ever go away (as everyday it just gets extended for longer!) no hope of meaningful sleep ever. I’m having a bad day, feel so sick n dizzy because of heat n humidity. And nobody say “drink more fluid” because I’m constantly drinking, therefore spending most the day on the damn loo. Women of a certain age, will understand. Hope out.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Will be very unusual if we don’t get a storm to finish this heatwave, more important in this area we need rain, I can only really remember about 3 or 4 days where we have had any proper rainfall since March.

Like this morning a nice storm heading right for me even strengthened in the channel, and then decided to die completely, not even rain, but the cloud is now here, being a pain. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

It's already 24-25c in Worthing, but it doesn't feel like it. In fact, it's seems cooler and more bearable than days gone by.

Bring on the heavy rain later ;) 

Just gone past 26C in Lancing and climbing steadily. There's an E/SE breeze today - it comes and goes, but any sort of air movement is welcome!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Some people think this summer before this month has been bad...simply put in my location there just has not been enough rain/unsettled days to warrant it, my lawn is about as brown as it's ever been.

25.5c already outside...no wind all sun, will breach 30c easily at this rate (I'm on the coast).

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Snow Shoes said:

Looking at the wider satellite pictures there appears to be little chance of importing any storms from the near continent any time soon. To my untrained eye it would appear that the current trajectory of the storms in France indicate that any which don't decay as they reach the channel, will either head up the western tip of the Uk or out across the North Sea (as snowrye said earlier "forcefield in the channel working overtime" 😢), so again think we're going to be reliant on home grown storms if we're going to see any action in this part of the Uk today. 

French imports won't arrive until ~7 pm onwards, a lot of uncertainty as to how far they will go but it's still too early to call. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Friends of mine nr Breda have had a bit of a pummelling, looks like other friends in Middelburg will be seeing some action. Wonder if it can limp across the N Sea, or does Area 51 only work for storms exiting East Anglia?

Used to stay in Middelburg many years ago, mention of there brings back memories. 🙂

26.9 already here with an overnight 'Tropical' low of 21c - the most uncomfortable nights sleep so far as there no breeze.

I can't wait wait for this heatwave to breakdown - I'll take temps of 21-24c over this any day 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
26 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Most open grasslands are looking more like deserts in colour and texture.

As you say very little rain indeed.

• Sad 1
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Some people think this summer before this month has been bad...simply put in my location there just has not been enough rain/unsettled days to warrant it, my lawn is about as brown as it's ever been.

25.5c already outside...no wind all sun, will breach 30c easily at this rate (I'm on the coast).

Totally agree with you.

For some places up north ish it might have been a not so good summer but down here it just seems endlessly summer even without this extreme hot weather.

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, nanu said:

How many ppl here will stand outside if a downpour does occur?   not only that, enjoying that smell of wet rain on dried fields and concrete?  Me!

My dad left me some notes to base on his eulogy (he passed away in 2018)...one of his 'loves' was rain on a lawn/garden after a dry spell in summer which exacerbates all the smells of grass, roses etc. God bless!

26.1c currently.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 9

All this moaning about the heat, its like we get it for months on end which we don't, unlike other poor souls in other countries, and its not that bad,should be getting used to it a little by now. 

Don't worry in a few months it be late Autumn early Winter, with Weeks of dreary depressing weather with little or no sun and horrid drizzle, with little prospect of it becoming deep, crisp and even, under deep blue skies when you wake up. 

How riveting The Winter season is in the UK. Not!! 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

All this moaning about the heat, its like we get it for months on end which we don't, unlike other poor souls in other countries, and its not that bad,should be getting used to it a little by now. 

Don't worry in a few months it be late Autumn early Winter, with Weeks of dreary depressing weather with little or no sun and horrid drizzle, with little prospect of it becoming deep, crisp and even, under deep blue skies when you wake up. 

But, apart from in 1976 (when it seemed to go on forever!) we don't have time to 'get used to it'... it's forever blowing hot and cold?😭

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, nanu said:

How many ppl here will stand outside if a downpour does occur?   not only that, enjoying that smell of wet rain on dried fields and concrete?  Me!

But somebody has to switch that damn storm shield off over us,, might have to resort to doing a bus dance around a bus stop, Hey!.. it worked in the 80s

Me but only if it's just rain. I don't go out during lightning storms. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

I’ve officially given up hope. No hope of a storm, no hope this god awful heat will ever go away (as everyday it just gets extended for longer!) no hope of meaningful sleep ever. I’m having a bad day, feel so sick n dizzy because of heat n humidity. And nobody say “drink more fluid” because I’m constantly drinking, therefore spending most the day on the damn loo. Women of a certain age, will understand. Hope out.

Keep the faith Blazerblue, i have a feeling all Hell is about to break loose.🙏

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, JK1 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610Past few days have felt like I’m on holiday  the garden loving it too

79A26B62-ACBC-4989-9456-E4A45D552D48.jpeg

Yes must be nice and fresh on the coast. Less so here in humid SW London 😓 😢

Can’t praise AC unit enough with last nights minimum temp 21.7C outside, in fact it got rather too cold so I turned it off but then woke up sweating! It’s back on to full pelt now!

It’s a scorcher and very sticky 30C & 20C dew point.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Other poor souls actually have AC built in their homes. Mate no one in London is enjoying this well some may be but it’s horrible in capital without AC to 12th in central average maximum is 30C and average low is 17.4C my average low in Rotherhithe is 18C. The mean is over 5C above average simply outrageous, we haven’t seen similar anomalies since extreme December 2015 and that was unprecedented but second half of August likely to be much cooler so expect the anomaly to lessen somewhat still bound to be notably warm.

21750EC0-187C-45D6-9685-77F101752DFC.thumb.png.5e25bcd133b8c09e0bb6a220cb1fbd84.png

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Snow Shoes said:

Yes must be nice and fresh on the coast. Less so here in humid SW London 😓 😢

Nah it’s humid here too been reaching 30c or more most days so not much relief here too ha but love it tho 

Edited by JK1
  • Like 2