South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

3 fan's on full blast, windows open, absolutely roasting last night, my mood not helped with scotland getting blitzed by storms, and a force field in the channel working overtime, I want this heat to end quickly, hopefully with a bang. 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pokeman said:

Anyone know when the storm is coming to Kent? We have been told for a week that’s it’s coming but they keep changing it. They said Monday, now it’s Wednesday/Thursday 

Hi Pokeman. Welcome to Netweather. I moved this post from the Storms forum over to our Regional discussions here, were it's more appropriate. (Otherwise the Storms forum gets full with posts asking when a storm will hit a their location).
I don't who "they" were with the forecast of storms for Kent on Monday, but a look at the weather models this morning confirms that Kent is in the firing line from later today with storms coming up from France and the risk continues right through Thursday and Friday. Here's how the high res model NMM sees the period playing out, with this sequence from 16.00 today to midnight Saturday:

anim_ovj2.gif

Source: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=5

Edited by Blessed Weather
Link added.
  • Like 3

Morning all,

Any chance of a clear start has been scuppered somewhat thanks to some elevated convection initiating around sunrise. This has mostly formed in a line running west to east.

70B6F825-3F87-4625-AC29-616E6E395CBE.jpeg

I can see the cell moving through Leicester at the moment, but it is a hazy mess.

Any cloud or showers should slowly clear and break up. Showers later inland will be surface based and could pop up anywhere where the required ingredients are met (Probably temperatures above 32c).

Edited by Captain Shortwave
5 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hi Pokeman. Welcome to Netweather. I moved this post from the Storms forum over to our Regional discussions here, were it's more appropriate. (Otherwise the Storms forum gets full with posts asking when a storm will hit a their location).
I don't who "they" were with the forecast of storms for Kent on Monday, but a look at the weather models this morning confirms that Kent is in the firing line from later today with storms coming up from France and the risk continues right through Thursday and Friday. Here's how the high res model NMM sees the period playing out, with this sequence from 16.00 today to midnight Saturday:

anim_ovj2.gif

In that case I think they are nearly here already, been watch radar and lightning maps all morning, got woke by flashes at dawn. 

12 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

In that case I think they are nearly here already, been watch radar and lightning maps all morning, got woke by flashes at dawn. 

Didn't dawn mind 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yes, bubbling up nicely across the Channel and very slowly creeping over the water towards Kent. :oldsmile:

Radar 07.10: 1788563921_Radar12Aug07_10.thumb.jpg.17e76767a1dcec5842a0eb39ca8a7054.jpg

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, snowrye said:

3 fan's on full blast, windows open, absolutely roasting last night, my mood not helped with scotland getting blitzed by storms, and a force field in the channel working overtime, I want this heat to end quickly, hopefully with a bang. 

I couldn't agree more.  We're ok but struggling here.. It's far too hot.  

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, bubbling up nicely across the Channel and very slowly creeping over the water towards Kent. :oldsmile:

Radar 07.10: 1788563921_Radar12Aug07_10.thumb.jpg.17e76767a1dcec5842a0eb39ca8a7054.jpg

Looks like a clipper.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Tomorrow looks like another day of pulse type storms breaking out during the mid to late afternoon. Just a hunch that the morning may very well be sunnier than the last couple of days for most, so potentially 33/34C could be more widespread across the region away from the coasts. Going for 35C to be reached or exceeded towards NW London. 

Spot on. It’s the sunniest morning we’ve had for a while and the hottest since Friday when we reached 35/36.

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Looks like a clipper.

No idea how accurate it is but if you play the radar animation on the met office site it's just going to disintegrate in the channel, along with anything else that attempts the journey between now and the end of tomorrow.

• Like 3

Another beautiful day ahead as this heat comes to an end in the next couple of days sadly. Was able to watch the distant lightening from the cells that popped up in Slough and Southall last night, didn't look like anything special but might have been a different story directly underneath. Hopefully we can keep those storms at bay today as it seems the SW and Central England are the favoured areas. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Looking at the blitzortung site I can see there's a massive storm wasting itself in the North sea.

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Don't torture yourself, happens every time, you watch later, bet that forecasted mcs moves out that way as well, another kent clipper coming up

• Like 1

Officially abandoning 2020 for storms now. Getting a little annoyed by some gloating posts I keep seeing on other media platforms.

Still, I've had one small storm (6 rumbles of thunder and one flash of lightning), I ought to be grateful (not grateful). 

• Like 2

Warmest start in a few days now, up to 21c. Unfortunately there is a mass of mid level cloud slowly moving north and almost overhead. Hopefully this will thin and break.

23c at 09:00.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, snowrye said:

Same here. The air con has been running all night, fans going trying to circulate the air. I’m going to end up with a massive electric bill but at this point I don’t care as it’s the only way I’ve been getting any sleep otherwise I would be in a really bad mood 😂

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's already 26.2 degrees here, the low was 20.1

Alexis I am in manston campsite its roasting hotter than yesterday and clearer so.much clearer also shoeing 26 degrees now 

• Like 2

It's already 24-25c in Worthing, but it doesn't feel like it. In fact, it's seems cooler and more bearable than days gone by.

Bring on the heavy rain later ;) 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's already 26.2 degrees here, the low was 20.1

I wonder if somewhere (somewhere the clouds avoid) will push 38C today?

Oddly, for me, I've had little problem with getting sleep; it's staying awake during the day that's been my #1 bugbear: all this heat and humidity is just so darned sapping!

• Like 2

At this stage I'd just bank some proper rain, something to give a fresher feel for a bit.

Hopefully nothing too torrential, flooding would be an issue for many areas.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I wonder if somewhere (somewhere the clouds avoid) will push 38C today?

Oddly, for me, I've had little problem with getting sleep; it's staying awake during the day that's been my #1 bugbear: all this heat and humidity is just so darned sapping!

I couldn't sleep last night, probably had a couple of half hour naps at best. Been alright on other nights. 

• Like 2

Looking at the wider satellite pictures there appears to be little chance of importing any storms from the near continent any time soon. To my untrained eye it would appear that the current trajectory of the storms in France indicate that any which don't decay as they reach the channel, will either head up the western tip of the Uk or out across the North Sea (as snowrye said earlier "forcefield in the channel working overtime" 😢), so again think we're going to be reliant on home grown storms if we're going to see any action in this part of the Uk today. 

• Like 1