South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Just because it's cloudy and slightly cooler than average it doesn't make it feel like an Autumn day...maybe it does! as other than last year most Septembers and Octobers have felt partly like summer months ? as we know our autumns fall between November and February now days. 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

14.9c here so far, been raining since just before 9am, but stopped around 12.30 - although it looks like we could get more in an hour or so. 

Well, after yesterday's wind today did not turn out to bad, a little bit rain here earlier and temps topping out in Boxmoor at 17.0c but thats just what the garden needed,all looking rather green and lush.

Monday was dreadful, yesterday turned out quite nice by the afternoon with less breeze and some pleasant warm sunshine, I'm always galavanised into action if the sun's shining but miserable grey skies just brings out the duvet in me!

• Like 1

Looks like a reasonable day for those of us South of London, much better than yesterday's drizzle. Compared to the rest of the country the forecast for the South East in next few days doesn't look too bad. 

I was hoping for rather more sunshine today than has turned out. A few reasonable sunny spells this morning pushed the temp up to 21.2C at 11.20, but the infill from the cumulus has now given a good 95% cloud cover this pm and the temp has dropped off a degree. On the bright side, at least the awful gusty wind has gone.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Mostly sunny here all day and reached 22c but didn’t feel like it in that very gusty wind from the south west, managed to be blown along the seafront all the way to Brighton without peddling!

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

I know I shouldn’t get excited, because it’s so unlikely to happen, but EA is in the zone, 30% risk of thunderstorms this afternoon. I know it’s only 30% and the ToD will put up the shield, but ????

• Like 2

A beautiful start to today, but as @Blazerblue says, a chance of a rumble as heavy showers develop later on, although only a "slight" chance according to Convective Weather:

Lovely start for the Region: 121177436_Satellite02July07_35.thumb.jpg.6e175eb6d0bd9665897471b826e57d55.jpg  A rumble later? 815908781_ConvectiveFcast02July.thumb.jpg.f4f76164b66694d71a0d9a39b7a411d0.jpg

Source: http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

Yesterday evening turned out quite wet here, with 7mm of rain. Timing was perfect for refreshing the garden - some late evening rain which overnight doesn't immediately evaporate in strong sunshine. ?

• Like 4

Next week isn’t looking to bad for us in the south east, no heatwave, but temps around 23 to 24 degrees and sunny spells, looks like a lovely summer week without sweating everywhere you go! Imagine the pubs will be busy 

On 27/06/2020 at 00:24, alexisj9 said:

Kent clipper jumped us and became a Norfolk clipper lol. 

Or perhaps a Norfolk Nibbler ?  ?

• Like 1

Couple of rumbles here after what I think was some whale's mouth structure passed directly over. Heavy rain now. Not seen any lightning as mostly staring at computer hoping power does not go off - am in the middle of a huge file back up job.

EDIT: strikes in local area, distant but huge crack of thunder that made the house/windows creak here. Storm is picking up somewhat over Manningtree area by the looks of lightningmaps.org

• Like 1

Currently 17.5c but we've had rain showers since about 10am, rather than 'from mid-afternoon', just had another downpour and looks like another is on the way in the next 45mins or so. 

• Sad 1
31 minutes ago, magicpatch said:

Currently 17.5c but we've had rain showers since about 10am, rather than 'from mid-afternoon', just had another downpour and looks like another is on the way in the next 45mins or so. 

Yep, the rain showers are more like just "rain" here,? every time I think it has stopped and intend to go outside, it's rains again...

Had a cg in my garden, no damage, but it messed up the virgin single for fifteen minutes or so. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

No sooner had I typed that and we finally have a lull in the rain - I'm off to fit my roof rack and grab some vitamin D...

Well, that sunny spell didn't last long?

Edited by dubmuffin
rain

Here is the video of a heavy shower of rain as seen from my back garden.

• Like 3