South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Hot and sticky in Surbiton with mostly blue skies and the occasional breeze; to the east there are some towers building but we don't seem to be forecast anything particularly convective. My cheapo 'just for reference' temperature gauge says 33 degrees in the garden and 30 indoors, on a par with yesterday, although obviously not terribly accurate. We got a little rain this morning, wish we could get a good storm to round off this heat and to herald in a night where sleep becomes possible again - cheapo temp gauge showed 26 degrees in the lounge this morning, the coolest part of the house. 

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

I think that's our lot for this batch of heat. Very windy now, weather station reporting 22km/h, temp has dropped to 25.9c , 29.4c 24 hours ago. 

Edited by magicpatch

Loved waking up to a storm at 5am, hearing the rain coming down and counting the seconds from flash to bang! Expected it to feel a little cooler today but nope, humidity high and 28.7C at the moment.

A lovely freshening wind just starting to pick up now.

Some big cells firing up to my south and heading my way now - anyone under the storm just going through bishops stortford?

Still hot (28c according to nearest obs station) humid, blue skies, not much of a breeze. Looking at the temps in the south west, wishing I was there. ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Still hot (28c according to nearest obs station) humid, blue skies, not much of a breeze. Looking at the temps in the south west, wishing I was there. ?

Hang in there! This hideous heat will be all over tommorow, thank god! ?

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, magicpatch said:

I think that's our lot for this batch of heat. Very windy now, weather station reporting 22km/h, temp has dropped to 25.9c , 29.4c 24 hours ago. 

24.7 at 4pm. Oh well ... guess the chances of a storm are reducing as quick as the temperature. 

No storms forecast for the SE this eve/tonight. But never say never, there are sometimes surprises. 

There's a shower coming up from France now but doesn't look electrified. 

• Like 1

Well somehow this is not going to end in a bust for my location. Thunder here now, albeit the cell is very small.

60C840C8-0560-4DF7-9BC5-BF7CD6BC1B89.jpeg

I can see some CG towards Whittlesey way now. We have the novel blend of torrential rain and sunshine at the same time.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

not expecting a storm here, but went to The Great Stour in Canterbury which was nice 

The cumulus clouds on the right were the only cumulus clouds I could see in the sky in all directions 

37.jpg

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

No storms forecast for the SE this eve/tonight. But never say never, there are sometimes surprises. 

There's a shower coming up from France now but doesn't look electrified. 

Not going to hold my breath .....

Maxed out at 30.8 c today, another beautiful day, nice breeze about. Fortunately the storms never materialised and doesn't look like they will which means a sunny evening before the colder temperatures come in.

Typical spent all week working blazing hot sun the moment I finish for the weekend it starts raining and windy 

• Sad 1

Yet another hot spell that hasn't ended with widespread storms. 

We'll probably get more convective activity from tomorrow's Atlantic driven sunshine & showers! 

3 hours ago, Darkcloud said:

Loved waking up to a storm at 5am, hearing the rain coming down and counting the seconds from flash to bang! Expected it to feel a little cooler today but nope, humidity high and 28.7C at the moment.

A lovely freshening wind just starting to pick up now.

Glad you said that because I had this vague memory of hearing rain in the night (maybe woken by thunder without realising?!) but hubby was convinced there was no rain and dry as a bone this morning! So I wasn't going mad, lol!

Just started raining again here near Epsom, quite a sudden change from blue skies to cloudy then rain! At least I don't have the water the garden tonight and the plants always prefer the good stuff from the sky over the hose!! Meto forecasting more early hours through to late morning xx

• Like 3

Well, finally after a wait of over 2 years, a storm rolled in around 4am, some very impressive lightning strikes, and a couple of shotgun cannon booms, capped off a wonderful, wonderful evening, as my boy's finally got the premier league champions status

• Like 1

Hottest day of this so called “heatwave” here 30.2C, peaked very early mind 1pm so it could have been a few degrees higher in different circumstances. Also most uncomfortable day, I had a terrible night sleep I only managed 2 hours I still feel quite nauseous. Revolting humidity and when inside is >28C it is unbearable without AC, in last hour the weather has turned clouded over and feeling a lot fresher, with that strengthening SSW wind. Hallelujah. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Hottest day of this so called “heatwave” here 30.2C, peaked very early mind 1pm so it could have been a few degrees higher in different circumstances. Also most uncomfortable day, I had a terrible night sleep I only managed 2 hours I still feel quite nauseous. Revolting humidity and when inside is >28C it is unbearable without AC, in last hour the weather has turned clouded over and feeling a lot fresher, with that strengthening SSW wind. Hallelujah. 

Yesi noticed this too about to rain here

Top temp here of 30.2c down from yesterday's 32.4c, falling away now at 26.4c,and that rain is just passing to the east of my location witch brings an end to our mini heatwave, will look forward to some cooler nights for the time being.? 

• Like 1