South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Well what a pleasant surprise that turned out to be!

I was awoken at around 04:30 by the steady torrential rain pounding against the conservatory roof outside my bedroom window; I was easily awoken, as it was a rather shallow sleep anyway because of the soupy heat. Before the first c-c bolt tore it's way across the sky, I just assumed it was the blob of moderate-heavy rainfall that was in the channel. I was certainly happy to be proved wrong!

After about 20 seconds of looking out of the window blurry eyes, a huge pink C-C bolt struck overhead. The resulting thunder came in strong, rolling booms. It was my favourite kind of thunder, elevated! The sky was a rather unusual pink-yellow hue as the heaviest of the rain fell. The closest strike happened at approximately 04:55, when a C-C bolt was so close and bright you could see the individual small sparks on it! After this point the rain slowly began to ease, as the core of the storm drifted slowly to the ENE.

As the rain came to a stop completely, I was treated to the unobscured view of a mixture of C-C and CG bolts, most of them a pink/white hue. Thrown in amongst these strikes was the occasional breathtaking anvil-crawler. The storm slowly rumbled away, closing the curtains on a surprisingly... hot 2-day hot spell, in the best way possible! Fingers crossed for more this convective season, and to everyone who has painfully missed out so far: No need to worry! Your time will come eventually! Have a good day everyone ? 

8BBE58BB-B99A-4567-B9B7-0B8AB0524111.jpeg

FD7E5420-33F9-47C8-98F4-FCB40B322D01.jpeg

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 7
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

I woke up about half hour ago thinking I had left the air con running due to the noise, it was the rain lashing down. Looked out the window and thought it’s going to go bang any minute. Well it certainly has here in ashford.

Edited by k66yla

My report is no where near as eloquently written as LL above...very nicely put ^^

Was awoken at 5:30ish by lots of lightning and really deep growling thunder that rolled on for a while. It’s slower now but the much needed rain is still coming down nicely.

Enjoy our last true day of summer before it breaks down for a while. 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Thanks 1

It's been a long wait and watching the distant flashes of lightning to my west for much of the night my patience finally paid off around 5am. At long last a decent thunderstorm right overhead here in St Leaonards on Sea.

Edited by SenlacJack
  • Like 2

Early sunshine gone now as this cloud (associated with the storms further SE) moves through. Just a few spots of rain except tee. The models suggesting some thunderstorms will break out more widely across the west of the region and move north east. Considering 30c is still expected they could pack a punch.

• Like 4

Didn’t drop below 21 in my garden for the 2nd night I’m a row. Supposed to reach 23 on met office app for me today and 21 on bbc app it’s already 23 so I think they have that wrong. I recon it will get up to at least 25 here today 

• Like 1

Already a sweaty 19C here... Dry too, but very disturbed-looking clouds are slowly edging in from SSW. Is it even possible that the ToD will actually see some action...?:gathering::shok:

Nice little storm this morning. Nothing too big, a starter storm if you will. But it takes me out of the no storms club.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Nice looking line of storms moving up the east coast. Radar grab with lightning detection on the second image:

07.10: 988983917_Radar26Jun07_10.thumb.jpg.5e29746b7d2cb37925246c3e80cee11e.jpg627373884_Radar26Jun07.10withlightning.thumb.jpg.121dec15968b5cb26bae8d9a026b3609.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 3

That night was horrific coolest it has been now 18.4C because of the heavy rain, I noticed Hastings and that stretch of E Sussex coastline got a bumper thunderstorm, best place in country for thunderstorms IMO shame we haven’t managed to get down there. I love watching them from Winchelsea beach.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Up at half 5, quite sunny with some cloud way down south, but it looks like it’s getting closer, sun gone, replaced by some nice looking cloud. Watching the radar and it looks to be heading this way, will the triangle finally get some flashes and bangs ??

• Like 3

I am not usually happy at being woken up in the middle of the night, but that was an exception. An hour and a half of flickering lighting approaching  Eastbourne across the channel and then slowly, slowly veering off to the east, all accompanied by some spectacular cracks and rumbles. The latter even shut up the local herring gulls.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Already a sweaty 19C here... Dry too, but very disturbed-looking clouds are slowly edging in from SSW. Is it even possible that the ToD will actually see some action...?:gathering::shok:

Make that 22C at 7am!!!:shok:

• Like 1

Convective Weather warning is much better for our part of the world today. Hoping to end this storm drought soon!

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

• Like 3

A muggy night here to say the least with the temp no lower than 18.2c, some big blobs earlier but dry and mainly sunny now, it does feel quite thundery still with some clouds starting to bubble up 

52 minutes ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Convective Weather warning is much better for our part of the world today. Hoping to end this storm drought soon!

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

Dan's pretty much on the money most of the time - I still think that if you're in the extreme east you'll have to drive though (like me).

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

We have rain, not even heavy rain, which looks to have shifted east out into the sea! The triangle remains doomed ?

I said yesterday somewhere that I was looking forward to the warm drizzle....

• Sad 1

Seemingly had some rain in the early morning, only 3mm or so according to the local weather station. Left the start of the day with milky skies and feels slightly more breezier this morning than yesterday. Temps reflect that at 22.7c at 9pm compared to 25c yesterday. Pressure down to 1009mb. 

Depending on who you believe, it's going to be 29c and sunny here, or 26c with the chance of rain/storms this afternoon. As the max was 'only' 29.7c here for the last few days, and the increased wind/less blue skies this morning I know which one I'm placing bets on! 

Just .4mm of rain here last night - the storm skirted to the East of us. Rather more hazy at he moment, and the temp is down compared to this time yesterday - 21C.