South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk are again struggling to reach 30C and I doubt they will, looking at the 1pm/2pm temps.

Cavendish (Suffolk) and Writtle (Essex) are often among the hottest places.

Why have they missed out on the peak of the heat this week? Is it because the winds have been E/SE rather than S/SW?

• Like 2

Northolt is the current hot spot at 32°C, but many places across the south 30-31°C.

Humidity is manageable at around 35% for most. ?

• Northolt 32°c
  • Heathrow 31.6°c
  • Charlwood 31.1°c
  • London / Gatwick Airport 31°c
  • Farnborough 31°c
  • Herstmonceux West End 31°c
  • London City Airport 30°c
  • Like 1

Finally reached 30.0C here it was a snail crawl but got there in end, this E wind is not conducive for very high temps. If we had a southerly we would be seeing mid 30s easy..... 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Northolt is the current hot spot at 32°C, but many places across the south 30-31°C.

Humidity is manageable at around 35% for most. ?

• Northolt 32°c
  • Heathrow 31.6°c
  • Charlwood 31.1°c
  • London / Gatwick Airport 31°c
  • Farnborough 31°c
  • Herstmonceux West End 31°c
  • London City Airport 30°c

Dew points are rising from south very humid tonight... 16C here quite muggy. 

Edited by Daniel*
47 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk are again struggling to reach 30C and I doubt they will, looking at the 1pm/2pm temps.

Cavendish (Suffolk) and Writtle (Essex) are often among the hottest places.

Why have they missed out on the peak of the heat this week? Is it because the winds have been E/SE rather than S/SW?

Yes, you answered your own question. Here in inner London (SE16) I was forecast 32C today, and yesterday in which I reached 29.4C, that forecast did not come to fruition and it won’t today either, so they’ve been understating the relatively cool waters in North Sea and Thames estuary. 

Rinse, repeat today of yesterday. Local weather station reporting 29.4c at 3pm (It was 29.0c yesterday), we peaked at 29.7c at 4pm yesterday so might squeeze into 30c, but that breeze (like yesterday at this time) is starting to pick up. 

Pressure continues to drop mind, what are the chances of a storm for South London either overnight or tomorrow? We seem to be borderline between just getting some rain, maybe a storm, or maybe just another warm day?

Edited by magicpatch

My own station is showing 31.6.c at the moment equalling yeserday's high in my location with humidity dropping to 32%. Something brewing west of Paris heading our way or is that wishful thinking.!!

Edited by thunderpants

It reached 29.1 here today not for long though the afternoon has steadied at about 28 degrees which is plenty warm enough for me. 

Some of you youngsters may not remember the june of 76 including Wimbledon88 where the tarmac used to bubble up and fires used to start on common due to bits of glass magnifying in the sun, that was our excuse. Vinnie J was a neighbour , remember 88 F.A CUP with Vinnie dedicating his medal to the boys at the Venture PUB in Adeyfield Hemel good old days. Oh and by the way it's just hit 32.1c here.

Edited by thunderpants
  • Like 3

Good ol Hemel Hempstead, grew up there, woodhall farm area, in the 80s, went to grove hill (as it was then, changed its name since) school. 

weather related, hot, sunny and I’ve got the headache from hell ?

• Like 1

Perfect rinse and repeat, hit 29.7c at 4pm, now showing 29.3. 

Lets hope for some nice storms now! Every forecast seems to wildly vary, so lets see what happens!

• Like 1

Well, it looks like Heathrow will be top spot again with the highest temperature in the UK, so far at 33.3, after yesterdays 32.6, as I have said before, it is  very common for Heathrow to record the highest temperature in the UK, being far from the sea and with an eastsoutheast wind the short sea crossing from the channel, also the city of  London to the east, provides an extra source of heat, there is also a light breeze, this means other places like Bournemouth and Southhampton picking up the sea breezes will be prevented from registering the the highest temperature in this setup.

Gender Male, Location Batersea, London.

It has not yet reached 30 Celsius in South Ockendon.  The temperature in the shade is 29 Celsius.

Was expecting a cool down tomorrow but seems like another hot day to come for parts of the region.

Models suggesting high 20s, Met Office latest forecast going for 31°C for London. ?

fri4.thumb.png.ba0d92134ff87d366556365b99fba084.png

• Like 2

30.3c here in the end, at around 2.40pm again.

Currently 28.7c, a bit breezy, unbroken sunshine.

There’s a storm south of Rouen but don’t think it’s coming this way sadly.

Hard to really tell what the weather is going to be like tomorrow. Honestly I am not really fancying our chances in terms of storms, on the flip side the models have tending to increase maximum temperatures for tomorrow.

Arpege (This does show showers moving in late afternoon across the north of the region).

image.thumb.png.45e02ae1039599fdd7e427e545aaaad9.png

Could easily reach the low thirties again tomorrow, the focus being north of London, but more eastern parts will get in on the heat as the winds veer southerly.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

The heat can go and do one if there's no storm as a pay off.

Melting here, got a headache...

And grumpy!!