Blessed Weather

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Outside it’s 23c at nearly 1am.....absolutely impossible to sleep in

inside it’s 26c, even with windows open,

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

17 in herts outside but still uncomfortable

Edited by biddie

Early morning low here a very warm 17.6c, humidity back up from yesterday's afternoon's 31% now 53% this morning and rising.  

Minimum last night here was 21.01c now over 22

20 degrees here, but worse 70%humidity. 

• Like 1

Morning

Overnight low of 20.4c, already 22.8c though wind is supposed to pick up again soon.

Fingers crossed for some storms tomorrow!

32 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

20 degrees here, but worse 70%humidity. 

Well, that was a difficult night's sleep; being unable to sleep is the one downer that comes with hot, sunny weather.:oldangry:

• Like 3

Guess which area is not in the storm forecast?? You’ll never guess :wallbash:

meanwhile flipping humid and already hot ?

• Like 2

I do say this every year so may sound like a broken record lol.

I’m still not sure why the vast majority of people don’t get air con. I use mine easily 3/4 months of the year and they heat too so we use that another 3/4 months.

At £2500 for 3 bedrooms it was a great investment. They even offered finance at around £48 a month I think so affordable for most.

Even a portable one at £300 is  a great starter solution. 

Trust me - you’d be looking forward to those hot summer days with a smidge of smugness knowing you can sleep at night  lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What a lovely sight!

99474562_Satellite25Jun07_10.thumb.jpg.6acdfb4e40936c0cbdba9b6bded8561d.jpg

I'm enjoying sitting outside this morning, enjoying a couple of mugs of tea. Temp is already up to 21.5C at 07.45. 

Tomorrow's thundery showers? As you might expect from showers, the high res models are all over the place with their forecasts of how much and where. A look at the Euro4 model cumulative rainfall forecast for the next 24 hours ending midnight Friday suggests that the best of the storms really kick off as they move north of us, so less chance for folk further south catching a monster. But we'll see what the models say tomorrow morning and then of course by the afternoon many of us will be glued to the radar! :oldsmile:

1045134557_Euro4CumPrecipSat27Jun00_00.thumb.png.95c83c6ec1b9ddcff17f3b552ace155f.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Coopsy said:

I’m still not sure why the vast majority of people don’t get air con. I use mine easily 3/4 months of the year and they heat too so we use that another 3/4 months.

At £2500 for 3 bedrooms it was a great investment. They even offered finance at around £48 a month I think so affordable for most.

Trust me - you’d be looking forward to those hot summer days with a smidge of smugness knowing you can sleep at night  lol. 

That's between 300 and 2500 reasons for not buying air-con, Coopsy!:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

It's going to be a scorcher! 24.5 c at 8.30 am. 

Looks to be a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, hopefully they move through early and quickly so we can have one last hot day before it cools down slightly.

Edited by Uxbridge90

Get an old spray bottle and fill it with ice cold water and give yourself a light spray now and then, works even better with a fan on, a lot cheaper.? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No need for aircon. I was looking into it and in the end decided to tryan air cooler a few days ago.

£90 on Amazon reduced from £150.

I put 8 pints of water in the fridge yesterday morning and the ice packs in the freezer, put it all in the air cooler 10 minutes before bed time. Result: best night’s sleep in ages and definitely completely different from the sweating, tossing and turning during last year’s heatwaves.

Bedroom a lovely 18 degrees this morning while the rest of the house is 24.

One thing is important - you have to leave a window open, even if just a little bit. Otherwise everything feels damp.

It comes on wheels so easy to move and it’s with me in the office right now ?

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

What a lovely sight!

99474562_Satellite25Jun07_10.thumb.jpg.6acdfb4e40936c0cbdba9b6bded8561d.jpg

I'm enjoying sitting outside this morning, enjoying a couple of mugs of tea. Temp is already up to 21.5C at 07.45. 

Tomorrow's thundery showers? As you might expect from showers, the high res models are all over the place with their forecasts of how much and where. A look at the Euro4 model cumulative rainfall forecast for the next 24 hours ending midnight Friday suggests that the best of the storms really kick off as they move north of us, so less chance for folk further south catching a monster. But we'll see what the models say tomorrow morning and then of course by the afternoon many of us will be glued to the radar! :oldsmile:

1045134557_Euro4CumPrecipSat27Jun00_00.thumb.png.95c83c6ec1b9ddcff17f3b552ace155f.png

There's a surprise!...an increasing theme of recent years in breakdowns from hot conditions, and that is most of the thundery activity to be to the north or even Scotland - we'll see but I bet I'll just get the usual cloud and some rain in my location

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coopsy said:

I think the same every year. I picked up one 2nd hand for £60 and got another one, new, for £220.

They work well, particularly in smaller rooms, and I got a south-facing room down from 30C to 18C by last night. They don't get huge amounts of use in British summers so should last many years.

Even if you spent £300 on one and it lasted ten years (my 2nd hand one's 21 years old!), that's £30 per summer + cost of running at about 50p for 6-8 hours. If you can't afford it then it's well worth saving up until you can in my view.

52 minutes ago, seb said:

No need for aircon. I was looking into it and in the end decided to tryan air cooler a few days ago.

One thing is important - you have to leave a window open, even if just a little bit. Otherwise everything feels damp.

The resulting rise in humidity is the problem with air coolers, as they work less well once it gets more humid as they're used, plus the UK is a fairly humid place to start with. For price vs. effectiveness, I think portable air-con is better value.

9 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I think the same every year. I picked up one 2nd hand for £60 and got another one, new, for £220.

They work well, particularly in smaller rooms, and I got a south-facing room down from 30C to 18C by last night. They don't get huge amounts of use in British summers so should last many years.

Even if you spent £300 on one and it lasted ten years (my 2nd hand one's 21 years old!), that's £30 per summer + cost of running at about 50p for 6-8 hours. If you can't afford it then it's well worth saving up until you can in my view.

The resulting rise in humidity is the problem with air coolers, as they work less well once it gets more humid as they're used, plus the UK is a fairly humid place to start with. For price vs. effectiveness, I think portable air-con is better value.

High humidity at cool-ish temps much healthier to sleep, especially if you suffer from allergies though.

And the running costs are hugely different!

But yes, aircon where possible and affordable all the way. There’s nothing better.

As expected it looks like today will defintely be the warmest day of the year here ! Last night it took until just past midnight to drop below 20C, and then only down to low of 15.2c at 05:30. Currently 28.5C at 10 am. ?

2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

That's between 300 and 2500 reasons for not buying air-con, Coopsy!:oldlaugh:

ha ha I cant argue with that ?

31 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

The portable ones are great - I started out with that about 5 years ago. Little ones bedroom would get to 30oC but with that got it down to 20oC. It's a bit of a pain setting up and noisy etc so opted for permanent solution but still use it downstairs and its still going strong.

Well, things are hotting up nicely here with a current temp of 28.7, at this rate i think we might see 30.0c here by 13:30 or earlier.!! 

Cooler on the coast, only 27°c.

looking forward to the storm shield working overtime for us southern coastal areas overnight and through tomorrow ;)

• Like 3