South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Well what a Spring that was, particularly for our Region. The Met Office have already reported that it's been the sunniest since 1924 and I think we can safely say that later on they will confirm it's been the driest for 124 years. Here in East Anglia it's being reported as the driest May ever, that’s going back to when Met Office rainfall records started in the region in 1862.

The National Farmers’ Union have reported: “The situation is becoming increasingly serious for the growth of rain-fed grass and cereal crops across the country, made worse by the wet winter that led to the planting of more spring crops which are now struggling because of falling soil moisture levels.” And Anglia Water have issued a "save water" plea to avoid problems later in the summer.

Rainfall totals in the Anglia region in May 2020

• 0.2 mm in Pitsford, Northamptonshire
  • 0.4 mm in Cavendish, Suffolk
  • 0.4 mm in Marham, Norfolk
  • 0.4 mm in Wittering, Cambridgeshire
  • 0.8 mm in Wattisham, Suffolk
  • 1.6 mm in Cambridge
  • 1.6 mm in Charsfield, Suffolk
  • 2.0 mm in Santon Downham, Suffolk
  • 2.2 mm in Lt Paxton, Cambridgeshire
  • 2.6 mm in Sawtry, Cambridgeshire
  • 2.8 mm in Harpenden, Hertfordshire
  • 2.8 mm in Stowe, Buckinghamshire
  • 3.8 mm in Cromer, Norfolk
  • 5.0 mm in Weybourne, Norfolk
  • 6.0 mm in Woburn, Bedfordshire

And whilst we wait for the final chart for the month, a look at the cumulative rainfall up to 26th May shows many of us have seen less than 5% of the average rainfall expected in May.

185342998_Rainfall1-26May2020.thumb.jpg.28790a1b1bdea1ff125f503518a29014.jpg

Chart courtesy of Weatherquest. Twitter @danholley_

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

There does seem to be a trend with our weather becoming drier here for this time of year, and the rain we get seems to be the wrong type at the wrong time of year i.e flooding followed by drought with farmers particularly hit in east anglia. 

• Like 3
On 30/05/2020 at 17:07, TROY said:

Another very hot day, this reminds me of the summer of 1976. Lived in Peacehaven then, can not remember any rain from end of March till the end of August in 1976. Every day we had blue skies like today. Our Climate has changed so much.  As its been so warm a change from Hot too cold chat, does anyone have any records or knowledge of the great Christmas Day Blizzard of 1970. Again we were living in Peacehaven, right on the east sussex coast and we had a lot of snow, proper powder snow that drifted a lot. Take care everyone, the best of health to you all.

My poor Mum was pregnant with me from the April and right through the summer of 76! I think the extreme weather whilst I was in utero is what caused my weather obsession, lol!!

• Like 2

We had 12.2 mm in Chelmsford for May. 10.9 mm on the 1st and 1.3 on the 2nd of May. I remember the flooding in February, visiting a client and struggling to get through to their property because of the flooded roads. At the time I thought this must be one of the wettest Februarys on record!

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Yes an incredible spring I will not remember it for anything but how sunny it was to extreme, and it coinciding with lockdown. The sunniest spring on record for London just above 1990.

my summer forecast if anyone is interested:

file.png
WWW.THESNOWDREAMERWXBLOG.COM

Would you believe it the time has come? A new season brings its new challenges. In deciphering the longstanding oceanic/atmospheric teleconnections, one can gain an idea of how the summer may...

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

So annoyed my hayfever is awful at the moment so I can't really be out in the sun enjoying it.

• Sad 4

Latest charts look absolutely awful...from Thursday onwards especially the weekend, what looked like a minor blip a few days back signs of cool damp rubbish. You just couldn’t make it up I really think June will be a right off...so hope I’m wrong 

9 minutes ago, slater said:

Latest charts look absolutely awful...from Thursday onwards especially the weekend, what looked like a minor blip a few days back signs of cool damp rubbish. You just couldn’t make it up I really think June will be a right off...so hope I’m wrong 

I think to many people were doing a rain dance ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mark wheeler said:

I think to many people were doing a rain dance ?

Haha...yes I know we need it...but Mother Nature can be cruel at times...I just feel sorry for pubs. My friends own a pub ,and you just can’t believe how devastated they are on how last 3 months of sunny weather they have missed being closed...they are planning outside activity’s from hopefully July 3rd...if the weather don’t play ball this summer then theirs and many many others will be gone for ever.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Talk over on the Mod thread of 45mm of rain for the SE over the next 10 days. Would be great if it happened but can't see it myself. 15-20mm will do for starters. Certainly going to be much much cooler eithet way. Much needed change. Still 22c at 9.15pm.

• Like 2

Still not a drop of rain or even drizzle here in East Dene. The radar shows light blue over us, but the sun is out, a lot of high level cloud, and still very warm 24c. Good health to you all.

I may have felt a small raindrop this morning at 8.33am but it may just have been overnight dew dripping from the veg garden netting! I'm now having to rescue mature shrubs in the garden with copious watering.

• Like 2

Where’s the great cool off?! It’s almost 21c in Worthing with a dp of 12c. A few boobs of wetness earlier, I suppose that’s it for June’s rainfall. ?

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, thunderpants said:

Some very light rain here but nowhere near enough, and what there is showing on the radar seem's to be fizzling out. 

Yes, it does seem to be fizzling and a look at the radar echo at 09.00 and at 11.05 shows it's not going anywhere fast either. The sun has just broken out here in South Suffolk and temp is up to 20.5C. The breeze is getting up now, but this weekend in particular looking very blustery with the developing Low Pressure in the North Sea.

Rainfall radar 09.00 1286411376_Radar03June09_00.thumb.jpg.7279b0a63f9bbd3b594ea5693fed73e7.jpg 11.05 1980503065_Radar03June11_05.thumb.jpg.4efc8b3f71ac1b4b615b9f1c2903e37d.jpg

Latest GFS 06z going for between 12mm and 27mm of rain for the Region over the next 5 days:

1323424692_GFSCumprecip03to08Jun2020.thumb.GIF.cc3093548394d1fcedf949bdae26f62c.GIF

Arpege wind gusts Saturday, with Low just to our north:

2035518595_ArpegeWindGustsSat06Jun13_00.thumb.png.044594be2c2efa2d3dea5f6f419f1f5b.png

• Like 5
1 hour ago, tomp456 said:

Where’s the great cool off?! It’s almost 21c in Worthing with a dp of 12c. A few boobs of wetness earlier, I suppose that’s it for June’s rainfall. ?

Did somebody say BOOBS ?

cloudy muggy dry. storm near where i grew up

meh.

Still cloudy and sunny here, sun can be seen through clouds rather than in gaps, is what I mean.