South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Well now that this mornings excitement is over we can now look forward to.... STORM JORGE!! 

I'm sure the last one we had was called Dennis so i must have either slept through the last five of them or my spelling is hopeless. 

Either way, wet and windy ahead which i like. You know where you are with that. Proper weather. Warnings out. ?

• Like 3

Just icy cold rain, and more of the same on the way, just not as icy, winter 2019-2020, you have been poor, go away, and spend the next few months revising, maybe next winter, you'll have a better understanding of what you're all about

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Well now that this mornings excitement is over we can now look forward to.... STORM JORGE!! 

I'm sure the last one we had was called Dennis so i must have either slept through the last five of them or my spelling is hopeless. 

Either way, wet and windy ahead which i like. You know where you are with that. Proper weather. Warnings out. ?

Jorge. That's stained glass windowin spanish.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Storm Jorge was named by the Spanish Met Service AEMet, not sure why, as it's going nowhere near Spain, but the Met Office are adopting the name not Ellen. Met Eireann could have named it for wind impacts which look worse for Ireland/ Northern Ireland, but too sIow I guess. Bit odd this naming system.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

That's winter 2019/2020 done and dusted, wasn't it rubbish.

Hold up lassie as it is a leap year we still have until the 29th (Saturday) "However, at the Met Office, we often use a meteorological definition of the seasons. By the meteorological calendar, the first day of winter is always 1 December; ending on 28 (or 29 during a Leap Year) February. " 

Still time for a Daily Express snow bomb snowmaggeddon countrywide blizzard to sweep in :oldlaugh:

• Like 6

Well, what a morning that was!

Snow has completely melted now - but at around 7:30 this morning, the snow was getting really heavy and there were some big snowflakes too - around 2cm in diameter.

Mother Nature did try to show off her powers considering the horrific winter most of us have had this year!

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Optimistic said:

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this morning

20200227_091409.jpg

20200227_092648.jpg

Hi nice photos

what was the max depth you saw >  looks about 3cm

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Hi nice photos

what was the max depth you saw >  looks about 3cm

Looks like Dunstable, Chilterns/north of London was the sweet spot, majority only saw some wet snow falling. Sun is out and again temperatures almost up to normal, 7.5c currently.

1 minute ago, Optimistic said:

Thanks. Hope next snow event will include the whole region. I would say up to 5cm 

Thats a fair amount>
I calculated max availability for the event if it snowed from start to finish was 15cm ( thats approx 1 inch per hour for 6 hours ! )

• Like 3

I still got a feeling next week might throw up something similar but better and more widespread than this morning.LPs tracking further south and the MET outlook for next week saying longer spells of rain and snow (on hills) in central and southern areas. We'll see. 

Edited by Wimbledon88
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

That's winter 2019/2020 done and dusted, wasn't it rubbish.

Not quite, we're getting an extra winters day as it's a leap year (aren't we lucky) so expect more rain and wind in the final 2 days, and yes as the Fast Show use to say this winter has been 'a load of ole [email protected]'...

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

@Steve Murr what’s the chance of snow for this region tomorrow as highlighted in the mod thread do you think?

Hi sadly I think the chances are 10% if your lucky

Euro4 looks very isolated V ICON / HIRLAM / APERGE / WRF

Rain. im afraid

2 hours ago, Optimistic said:

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this morning

20200227_075055.jpg

20200227_084024.jpg

Great pics. Love wendover woods. Used to live in Hemel so would go up there quite often.

Edited by snowblind
  • Like 1

2nd place I’ll take that! 8) A chilly one tonight widespread grass frost and rural air frost, I have not had a single air frost this month it has been 40 days! 

Edited by Daniel*

MetO's Long Range Forecast is very interesting between the 3rd - 12th March. Here's a snippet: Snow is likely in the north, mainly over higher ground, though there is a chance of seeing snow to lower levels at times.