South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Can anyone explain why given the tiny size of our island the south East always gets rain from these scenarios and not snow.. Its is absolutely infuriating. Anyone expecting snow in the south East will be disappointed. Cold Rain.

Edited by Snowfish2
1 minute ago, Snowfish2 said:

Can anyone explain why given the tiny size of our island the south East always gets rain from these scenarios and not snow.. Its is absolutely infuriating. 

Because of warm air advection & wind turbulence ahead of the low.

Thats why a shallow system sliding SE is the best 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I've got wind turbulence wait for this low

19 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Indeed Steve...and don't I know it!?

If we end-up with no wind, Beccles (7-ish miles inland?) could see snow, but an easterly will invariably result in rain and sleet...And the following NNW'erly will melt it all anywho!

What's more, the North Sea must be a lot warmer than it should be, at this time of year?

Woe, woe and thrice woe!?

More recent guidance looks better for our region the UKV and to ECM has been bang on money GFS playing catch up nudging S, quietly confident about London seeing snow do not expect accumulation but it is something...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

But why doesn't the Midlands have warmer air advection I wouldn't have any objections 

1 hour ago, Snowfish2 said:

Can anyone explain why given the tiny size of our island the south East always gets rain from these scenarios and not snow.. Its is absolutely infuriating. Anyone expecting snow in the south East will be disappointed. Cold Rain.

If colder air was entrenched then it would be snow. It’s happened many times before but not in recent years. I reckon a fair few places may see some snow falling tomorrow, albeit briefly. Not sure much will settle. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Final 8pm Temp 2.5c

- 6-7pm was a rapid drop to 2.7 then a stall until 745 

However dropping again now 8:09 > 2.4c

AFACA3B7-16B0-4937-A6C0-7FFFB5F62A9C.thumb.jpeg.494865672fd6c7f736b67b1921fcf752.jpeg

Spot on

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

Darn it, the graphics on the met office site are all turning to rain, even north of London, whats going on?:unsure2:

No snow now we left europe

sheilds are up.

funnily enough is that why we have had no easterly influence.

its a conspiracy I tell ya

Edited by snowbob
1 minute ago, snowbob said:

Won’t the cloud due push the temps up before hand

Yes Normally 0.5c ish in this scenario > then they will slowly drop back

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, snowbob said:

No snow now we left europe

sheilds are up

You should get something white down your way, how high up are you? There used to be snow all the time up around the airfield when it was only sleet everywhere else.

1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

It’s not going to snow

I think it will only snow and settle on the highest ground but anywhere might see some sleet or wet snow in the heavier PPN.

1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

It’s not going to snow

Nope, cold rain and a bit of sleet.

All models show no snow south of North London and even there it will be a wintry mix.

I've had much more favourable conditions and still got rain! People just desperate to see something given the rubbish winter.

Accept it will just rain and avoid any disappointment. At least we get decent summers in the SE corner.

• Like 3