South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Don’t go in the Yorkshire thread unless you want to be envious!

Wet and windy here, shocker..

yeah but it's turning to rain.

1 hour ago, lottiekent said:

Don’t go in the Yorkshire thread unless you want to be envious!

Wet and windy here, shocker..

I hate those  snowfalls that turn to rain and the snow rapidly melts soon after like up North today.

Useless.Waste of time.

Not so bad if it stops snowing then the sun comes out,then at least the snow will stick around longer

All I want is one  powder snowfall,not going to happen this winter I can safely say now.

Maybe another cold March will happen.We had a powder snowfall in mid march 2013 ,so still chance yet

so for the first time this winter met office have a sleet symbol for my area (Royal Artillery Barracks) for Thursday morning. albeit just a 40% chance. in comparison, the net-weather 10 dayer makes the sleet chance less of a percentage, but for longer a period. 

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Is it ever going to stop raining?! 

39 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

+ can we get a weekend without gales please?

but then the "not very much of a winter" would be even less of a winter. Just like a dull spring. ?

19 hours ago, Snowfish2 said:

Could we finally be on the cusp of our first flake of snow in the south East Steve? 

Believe it or not it actually snowed in NW London a couple of weeks ago! wasn't proper snow but started off as slett and then transitioned to train mixed with snow. It only lasted about 10 minutes but was exciting enough. I think that the intensity of the rain probably had the effect of dragging the freezing level lower.

Edited by Thunder and Lightning
  • Like 1

As usual there are a lot of “killjoys” on the main thread with respect to Thursday onwards.

I am just going to wait for Steve Murr to put in his input, don’t really trust anyone else.  One thing I’ve learnt is if he stops posting then the potential event is a no-hoper.

hope I’m not offending anyone with good intentions, but I think there are too many trolls in this forum and too many people who haven’t a clue what they are talking about.  Takes the enjoyment out of it.

6 minutes ago, Laurence Hill said:

As usual there are a lot of “killjoys” on the main thread with respect to Thursday onwards.

I am just going to wait for Steve Murr to put in his input, don’t really trust anyone else.  One thing I’ve learnt is if he stops posting then the potential event is a no-hoper.

hope I’m not offending anyone with good intentions, but I think there are too many trolls in this forum and too many people who haven’t a clue what they are talking about.  Takes the enjoyment out of it.

People don't have to be spot on you know... They are just here to voice their opinions, enjoy talking about the weather, learn something and and say what they think might happen weatherwise. If they don't have a clue what they are talking about, then they can learn something.  (most people probably have a good idea what they are talking about by the way)

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Thursday's potential snow looks too marginal. Best not to get hopes up and we won't end up disappointed by freezing cold rain. ?

I just want to see snow falling that’s all . Mwoa 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Thursday's potential snow looks too marginal. Best not to get hopes up and we won't end up disappointed by freezing cold rain. ?

Agree, dew points are forecast to be above freezing so it’s likely to be just cold rain for most. But there have been quite a few wintry surprises before.

• Like 4

Aint happening according to MetoGroup /BBC, they have Thursday dry, the LP stays way to the south then its wet and breezy Friday until Sunday. Too mild either way for anything worthwhile. 

Thet are going for LP to track right down across the country next week. I think that may be of more interest regarding something wintry down here. 

2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Whats this - Snowfall to lower levels on Thursday morning?

image.thumb.png.20dfd108062ee733e49b724d20aa94e6.pngimage.thumb.png.86f745ab7b1b72ac2d2863e4a963924e.png

Looks like crappy sleet for most of us in the SE unfortunately why couldnt this have happened a month ago might have made a difference ??

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evaporational cooling could well play a part

Interesting possibilities here @150M

I'm expecting some decent pics from you Steve, white ones...fingers crossed aye...

5 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

I think even my alpine height wont be enough

West Kingsdown > maybe a chance !

Best chance for snow will probably be the Chilterns, and any other high ground around. You might have a chance though!

Edited by Thunder and Lightning

So it looks like the snow chances are all but gone, to be honest, im not surprised, dreadful winter, and a continuation of rain rain rain, just colder rain, winter can bugger off as far as im concerned, hopefully next winter will be much better