Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

Donna are u herne bay area 

 

No I’m in Rye ? I do think it’s brilliant people are getting some snow but I’m so jealous ☺️

Edited by DonnaThw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny old day today.Lovely fresh start to the day and sunny till about 11 but then the clouds rolled in and showers started about 3.30 in Locksbottom area till about 7ish and now temperature dropped to 1.7)8pm) and a clear sky now.Glad to see our friends up in Scotland Northern Ireland and Northern England have seen a few flakes and likely to see a few more over the next 24-48 hours. The wait for the vast majority in the SE Thread sadly continues!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonnaThw said:

No I’m in Rye ? I do think it’s brilliant people are getting some snow but I’m so jealous ☺️

You and me both. Why is it given we are just an island that our weather varies that much. Mind you look at the dialects accents and languages we have ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timbo said:

Hi Snowray /Tom, Glad to give you the good news, yes we had settling snow here at lowestoft didnt last for long and soon melted once the squall went through.

The squall hit at around 5pm as i was driving from Lowestoft, started as hail, then turned to snow grains mixed with flakes and soon left a slight covering, by the time i got home the shower had turned to sleety rain, unable to take any photos as i was driving, 

Let's see what Tom has to say with the betting side of things, I think your ok though, it seems that quite a few areas in the region saw a temporary covering of slush, even me...Shock shock horror! ?

I guess you'll be wanting your chocolate now....?

 

 

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course now that dew points are below 0 across the region, the precipitation is nowhere to be seen. 

Chilly wind chill though, and same for tomorrow! ?

dp0.thumb.png.1df5e996a4c9cc2b109aab6774eee2fa.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all (4 AM),

Apologies for my non appearance last Night. Went up for my obligatory late Afternoon nap at 4.45 and set my alarm for 5.45 but slept through it. So, Brontophobic me slept through the lightning and thunder, very unusual for me!! 

"Septic" (Poor Colette, I call her that around the House  now), tried to phone me after hearing the thunder at work, in Chislehurst but was concerned when she got no answer. So she was frantically phoning her Son (my Stepson), to ask if I was ok. The first I knew, was when he knocked on my Bedroom Door at 7.15, to ask if I'd had my B.P. Tablet, which I normally take at 5.45, so obviously I hadn't.

Therefore I missed all the excitement, late yesterday Afternoon/early Evening, and confirmation of TIMBO's victory, in the NETWEATHER S.E.REGION SETTLING SNOW CUP.

In a short while, I will Post up the Result of "Virtual" Wagers aspect, of the Competition. 

Hope snowray will forgive me for plagiarising some parts of his Competition but as I'm of the opinion that Snow may make a final appearance over the next few Weeks, want to reopen the Competition with a couple of additional Categories.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: ❄️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

might  have to batten the  hatches diwn again for the weekend!

gfs-2-114.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Below, is the Result of the Betting ("Virtual" Wagers) side, of the Competition:

1st - TIMBO - £80.00

2nd - LOTTIEKENT - £61.25

3rd - TOMSE12 - £25.00

Not surprisingly, after backing himself to be Outright Winner and NORTH THAMES Winner, TIMBO claims first prize, in the Betting side, of the Competition.

LOTTIEKENT, shows again she has a knack of doing well in these Snow Competitions, by adding 2nd place to her 2012 victory, in my Snow Depth Cup.

TOMSE12, sneaks into 3rd place, courtesy of backing TIMBO to be NORTH THAMES Winner. 

I will now conduct a short Prize giving Ceremony.

1st - TIMBO - £80.00. Timbo will receive either A) - An all expenses paid "Virtual" Week in the Skiing Resort of your choice plus Skiing Lessons , from a qualified Ski Instructor. 

Or,

B.) - An all expenses paid "Virtual" Week in Lappland, during Christmas 2020. Your accommodation, will be a Log Cabin. You will also experience Reindeer drawn, Sleigh Rides plus tuition on how to operate a Snowmobile, and of course meet Father Christmas. 

You decide Timbo.

2nd - LOTTIEKENT - £61.25. Lottie will receive image.thumb.png.0f3a11abbb79c155a34b0525da158241.png 3/4 of a "Virtual" Bottle of Advocaat but I'm sorry you'll have to supply your own Lemonade, to make some Snowballs. It was kindly donated by "Septic", to the Competition. Sorry Lottie but I think Colette started on it, at the end of Christmas. But it has been in our Fridge, does it keep? Make the most of it though Lottie, as it may be some time before you're able to make anymore Snowballs!!

3rd - TOMSE12 - £25.00. My prize is having the enjoyment of joint "hosting" the Competition with snowray.

Thanks Ray and to all those who took part, it's been a lot of fun.

Right, I'm off to take a look at the 00z Model Runs and decide on a Format, for version 2 of the Competition.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: ❄️

 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspired by snowray's original version, I've decided on a Format for a new Competition, which will be entitled -

The South East Region Weather Predicting Competition. The Competition will comprise of 4 Categories.

Having looked at the 00z Model Runs and noted that there seems little prospect of anything Wintry, in the near future, I will wipe the slate clean up to and including LAUREN's prediction of 20th February. All other predictions will stand after that date, beginning with - BLUEBELL and CLARET047, who both predicted 23rd February for the first date of "Settling Snow". All Entrants who made predictions for after 20th February, may change their mind, if they so wish.

CATEGORY 1: -

Predict the next Date of "Settling Snow", as in Ray's Competition just a dusting will count but NOT Hail.

See link below, to Forecast Model Runs on the Meteociel Website:

http://www.meteociel.fr/

CATEGORY 2: - Predict the exact and final date, of the last named North Atlantic Storm, and it's name, to enter the Shipping Forecast area. See list below:

image.thumb.png.d4891e95469ff8d8810ecd5d60d95660.png

See map below, to Shipping Forecast areas: 

image.png.d5d7e16d0a4e0a08705732519e39a9bc.png

CATEGORY 3:-

Predict the exact Date and Temperature (to the nearest degree Celcius), of the last AIR Frost of the Season.

CATEGORY 4:-

Predict the FIRST Date that 21c (70f), is recorded in the South East Region.

Please Copy/Paste your predictions, into the Boxes provided below:

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) -

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) -

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) -

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -  

Your predictions MUST be posted on the South East Thread by, 9 PM Saturday 15th February.

Thank you.

I will decide on a Scoring System, in the next couple of Days. 

Regards,

Tom :hi:

 

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I really thought I wouldn't update my sig this year.

Shocked we saw some falling flakes at all! Been a very disappointing winter so far for me, my lack of NW activity over the season is a testament to how bad it has been!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still convinced March will deliver a wintry week or 10 days. Better late than never I suppose. 

5c and sunny this morning in SW London. Looking lively again later in the week. 

At least any threats of hosepipe bans in the summer have well and truly gone now which is something. ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I right that 'Timbo' has won the snow cup due to a very slight wet dusting of snow in the North west area of Norfolk?...if so that about sums up this winter and anyway without going on about regions again doesn't that area qualify more for East England?...was really looking forward to hoisting that trophy! ?

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Inspired by snowray's original version, I've decided on a Format for a new Competition, which will be entitled -

The South East Region Weather Predicting Competition. The Competition will comprise of 4 Categories.

Having looked at the 00z Model Runs and noted that there seems little prospect of anything Wintry, in the near future, I will wipe the slate clean up to and including LAUREN's prediction of 20th February. All other predictions will stand after that date, beginning with - BLUEBELL and CLARET047, who both predicted 23rd February for the first date of "Settling Snow". All Entrants who made predictions for after 20th February, may change their mind, if they so wish.

CATEGORY 1: -

Predict the next Date of "Settling Snow", as in Ray's Competition just a dusting will count but NOT Hail.

See link below, to Forecast Model Runs on the Meteociel Website:

http://www.meteociel.fr/

CATEGORY 2: - Predict the exact and final date, of the last named North Atlantic Storm, and it's name, to enter the Shipping Forecast area. See list below:

image.thumb.png.d4891e95469ff8d8810ecd5d60d95660.png

See map below, to Shipping Forecast areas: 

image.png.d5d7e16d0a4e0a08705732519e39a9bc.png

CATEGORY 3:-

Predict the exact Date and Temperature (to the nearest degree Celcius), of the last AIR Frost of the Season.

CATEGORY 4:-

Predict the FIRST Date that 21c (70f), is recorded in the South East Region.

Please Copy/Paste your predictions, into the Boxes provided below:

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) -

CAREGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) -

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) -

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -  

Your predictions MUST be posted on the South East Thread by, 9 PM Saturday 15th February.

Thank you.

I will decide on a Scoring System, in the next couple of Days. 

Regards,

Tom :hi:

 

Hi Tom, thanks for all your hard work with the competition, not a bad result for me yesterday.

I would like to accept the virtual trip to Lapland please.

Just a quick question on the new competition,is there a cut of date for named storms, or is it for all of 2020?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Am I right that 'Timbo' has won the snow cup due to a very slight wet dusting of snow in the North west area of Norfolk?...if so that about sums up this winter and anyway without going on about regions again doesn't that area qualify more for East England?...was really looking forward to hoisting that trophy! ?

Feel a little bit of sour grapes there!!!!

The competition was for settling snow in the region, and snow settled yesterday in a lot of locations.

I will let you know how my virtual trip to Lapland goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Feel a little bit of sour grapes there!!!!

The competition was for settling snow in the region, and snow settled yesterday in a lot of locations.

I will let you know how my virtual trip to Lapland goes.

I wanted that trophy ? ...to say a lot of locations?...only photo I have seen was that one in Wycombe (highish location) and on a car but suppose that counts and the reports in north west Norfolk. Well done for winning tho.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I wanted that trophy ? ...to say a lot of locations?...only photo I have seen was that one in Wycombe (highish location) and on a car but suppose that counts and the reports in north west Norfolk. Well done for winning tho.

There was settling snow from Kings Lynn through to and including my location in Lowestoft, also reports of settling snow in the heavier showers further South.

Look at the photo from Norfolk n Chance, a bit more than a slushy deposit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Timbo said:

There was settling snow from Kings Lynn through to and including my location in Lowestoft, also reports of settling snow in the heavier showers further South.

Look at the photo from Norfolk n Chance, a bit more than a slushy deposit.

North Norfolk...this region hmmmm?...but agree that amount from Norfolk n chance photo deserves to win but in this region, where were your photos? but anyway Team Squirrel provided a photo of some wet snow on a Mazda MX5...so that would take it, so you are the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

North Norfolk...this region hmmmm?...but agree that amount from Norfolk n chance photo deserves to win but in this region, where were your photos? but anyway Team Squirrel provided a photo of some wet snow on a Mazda MX5...so that would take it, so you are the winner.

I think you need to go back to school and take some more Geography lessons!!!!, our region is South East and East Anglia, try getting a map up to define the boundaries of East Anglia.

Any way, let see how you get on with the next competition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storm Dennis has been officially named by the MetO and a yellow warning is no in place for Sat/Sun.

Repeat of Ciara?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QUOTE - Timbo: 

"Hi Tom, thanks for all your hard work with the competition, not a bad result for me yesterday.

I would like to accept the virtual trip to Lapland please.

Just a quick question on the new competition, is there a cut of date for named storms, or is it for all of 2020?"

Congratulations Timbo, and thanks for your very kind words. I thoroughly enjoyed co-hosting the Competition, with snowray. It combines two subjects I like to think I know a little bit about, Bookmaking and Meteorology.

Re. your point about cut of date for named storms. I wondered that myself, it doesn't state an end date, on that Met Office. So, I don't know is the answer but I know a Lady, who might!

Btw, I 've thought of an additional poser to Category 2 -  

Category 2: Predict the exact and final date, of the last named North Atlantic Storm, and it's name, to enter the Shipping Forecast area. Also, which Shipping Forecast area will the CENTRE of the Storm, first enter?

image.thumb.png.911ee860d3b14bf67810120f8a071446.png

 

So, you're "virtually" off to Lapland then Timbo. Say hi to Santa for me, please. I would've chosen the same "Virtual" prize.

I think I will award "Virtual" money, re. a Scoring System and add that to "Virtual" monies won in a Betting aspect, to the Competition. I will have a think about that and Post up the value to each correct prediction, a little later.

There will only be one Betting Market though, that for Outright Winner and won't split Entrants into North and South of the Thames, although still "colour code" Entrants in the same way.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just popping in from the Ireland thread.

Don’t be too downhearted if you missed out - so did a lot of us. We were predicted heavy snow showers - prime spot in the northwest of the country - since yesterday and all we’ve had are heavy hail squalls.
 

Maybe next time ?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice day so far here in west London but still a very gusty W’ly wind. Feeling chilly at 7°C. Glad a few places saw some brief snowfall and hail in the region but it’s not been a good winter for anything cold. Storm Ciara has caused much mayhem on the continent across northern France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, the Czech Republic and Austria. Lots of damage with power lines down, many trees uprooted and roofs blown off in the Czech Republic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

QUOTE - Timbo: 

"Hi Tom, thanks for all your hard work with the competition, not a bad result for me yesterday.

I would like to accept the virtual trip to Lapland please.

Just a quick question on the new competition, is there a cut of date for named storms, or is it for all of 2020?"

Congratulations Timbo, and thanks for your very kind words. I thoroughly enjoyed co-hosting the Competition, with snowray. It combines two subjects I like to think I know a little bit about, Bookmaking and Meteorology.

Re. your point about cut of date for named storms. I wondered that myself, it doesn't state an end date, on that Met Office. So, I don't know is the answer but I know a Lady, who might!

Btw, I 've thought of an additional poser to Category 2 -  

Category 2: Predict the exact and final date, of the last named North Atlantic Storm, and it's name, to enter the Shipping Forecast area. Also, which Shipping Forecast area will the CENTRE of the Storm, first enter?

image.thumb.png.911ee860d3b14bf67810120f8a071446.png

 

So, you're "virtually" off to Lapland then Timbo. Say hi to Santa for me, please. I would've chosen the same "Virtual" prize.

I think I will award "Virtual" money, re. a Scoring System and add that to "Virtual" monies won in a Betting aspect, to the Competition. I will have a think about that and Post up the value to each correct prediction, a little later.

There will only be one Betting Market though, that for Outright Winner and won't split Entrants into North and South of the Thames, although still "colour code" Entrants in the same way.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Have sent a PM to Jo Farrow, re. cut off date for named Storms.Perhaps we could have a "stab" at the Storm's central pressure when it enters the Shipping Forecast areas? 

In a short while, I will lead by example and post up my own predictions for the new Competition.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alexa tells me it won't rain today. It's raining.and windy. Not going to jump up and down but there *could* of been some sleet mixed in. One flake.

Now now what do we have 'ere. A cheeky *may* snow a little later for my area. Just a shower. Me : Not going to get excited

Also me :

giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Below, are my predictions for the The SOUTH EAST REGIONAL Weather Predicting Competition:

TOMSE12

CATEGORY 1: (next date of "Settling Snow, in the S.E.Region) -

Friday 26th Feb. 

CATEGORY 2: ( exact date and name of last named Storm to enter Shipping Forecast area) - 

**Sunday 16th Feb, Dennis, Bailey (945 mbs)**.

CATEGORY 3: (exact date/Temp. to nearest degree Celsius, of last AIR Frost of the Season, in S.E.Region) -

Tuesday 26th May, -1c (30f).

CATEGORY 4: (exact date that 21c (70f) is first recorded, in the S.E.Region) -

Monday 20th April. 

**NB** - Since found out that Storm Season runs until September?? But for the purposes of this Competition, the cut off date will be Tuesday 31st March.

Having looked at the 00z Model Runs and noted that there seems little prospect of anything Wintry, in the near future, I will wipe the slate clean up to and including LAUREN's prediction of 20th February. All other predictions will stand after that date, beginning with - BLUEBELL and CLARET047, who both predicted 23rd February for the first date of "Settling Snow". All Entrants who made predictions for, after 20th February, may change their mind if they so wish.

Members entries MUST be posted on this Thread by, 9 PM on Saturday 15th February.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...