Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

My friend just departed Caen in France sailing to Portsmouth - I dont envy her one bit 

1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

There was a point at around 14:00 in which the wind gusts looked as if they were in the 70mph range. Those were some of the strongest wind gusts I’ve seen in years!

OMG I experienced that.. I was literally on my way to Galley Hill and coming down Sea Road. The roof  and back window on my car was shaking like I have never seen it do and the howling of the wind was incredible. It was at that point I decided to come home !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hurricane Debby said:

OMG I experienced that.. I was literally on my way to Galley Hill and coming down Sea Road. The roof  and back window on my car was shaking like I have never seen it do and the howling of the wind was incredible. It was at that point I decided to come home !!

Is your name Hurricane Debby.....

2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Is your name Hurricane Debby.....

Yes !! I know lol !

23 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Hastings. Honestly, people who go out surfing in a storm and therefore put others lives as risk should be prosecuted, imo.

I'm just back from a tour around my favoured spots in Hastings, St Leonards on Sea and Bexhill and watched this drama unfold just a few yards from from where I sat in my car.

The moron was surfing at Rock a Nore, a regular spot for experienced surfers when the waves are favourable as it is partly sheltered by a jetty type feature but today the waves were totally unsuitable for surfing.  i have a couple of photo's of him as he clambered onto the car park several times holding his surfboard before going back into the water again.

After several attempts he was parted from his surfboard and for what seemed like an eternity was attempting to swim back and forth ( but bizzarely not back to shore ). The Coastguards were called and duly arrived along with the Fire Brigade and Police.

By then the guy had been in the water without his surfboard for about 15-20 minutes but I couldn't see him. I stayed there for almost an hour, not as a morbid onlooker I hasten to add, by now the emergency services were a couple of hundred yards away from my location. By the time I left there was no sign of the lifeboat which surprised me at the time because the lifeboat station is probably no more than 3-400 yards away. I have no idea what the eventual outcome was but having watched that video I am glad the RNLI are my nominated charity of choice.

I may post some photos I took on my tour around the area later on this evening, along with some more stories about some of the brain dead muppets I witnessed on the seafront today.

• Like 5

Bit underwhelmed in Thurrock. Was hoping the squall was more intense, but I've experienced far worse.

What's next then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wynter said:

Bit underwhelmed in Thurrock. Was hoping the squall was more intense, but I've experienced far worse.

What's next then?

Summer

• Like 1

Winds have died down now. 

So it's safe to say the met office were on the ball and a lot of the modelling was OTT for the London area.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's quite over yet, but the strong winds might be for most, seems to be another squall running down, may be anyone who didn't get much from this one might get that. Also showers building in between, sought of like what happened between the first squall and this one. 

Think its gone through Sevenoaks, loads of rain and strong gusts. Lasted about 5 mins 

20 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

I'm just back from a tour around my favoured spots in Hastings, St Leonards on Sea and Bexhill and watched this drama unfold just a few yards from from where I sat in my car.

The moron was surfing at Rock a Nore, a regular spot for experienced surfers when the waves are favourable as it is partly sheltered by a jetty type feature but today the waves were totally unsuitable for surfing.  i have a couple of photo's of him as he clambered onto the car park several times holding his surfboard before going back into the water again.

After several attempts he was parted from his surfboard and for what seemed like an eternity was attempting to swim back and forth ( but bizzarely not back to shore ). The Coastguards were called and duly arrived along with the Fire Brigade and Police.

By then the guy had been in the water without his surfboard for about 15-20 minutes but I couldn't see him. I stayed there for almost an hour, not as a morbid onlooker I hasten to add, by now the emergency services were a couple of hundred yards away from my location. By the time I left there was no sign of the lifeboat which surprised me at the time because the lifeboat station is probably no more than 3-400 yards away. I have no idea what the eventual outcome was but having watched that video I am glad the RNLI are my nominated charity of choice.

I may post some photos I took on my tour around the area later on this evening, along with some more stories about some of the brain dead muppets I witnessed on the seafront today.

Think he was found alive down by pett level

If I had a pound for every time Iv heard 'squall line' today....it's a fine band of rain that changes nothing...This so called storm has had some serious flood, property, personal consequences...But to me it didn't manage to live up to the hype in terms of wind speed.

Edited by FiftyShadesofSnow

Absolutely hammering it down, think the squall is starting.

Thames Barrier set to close tomorrow to protect London from flooding

Edited by yamkin

28 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Makes you wonder what happened to these idiot's sense of self preservation. 

As regards the squall line, it weakened in the sector I was under as it approached.  Still has very squally winds and exceptionally heavy storm rain, though.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Got very gusty here in Dover, not sure for how long as squall is avoiding us at present, perhaps it should just come down now, to ease things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Lol

Why the Lol?   Storm surge combined with high tides.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Lol

Storm is in north sea now plus high tides, may be expecting storm surge. 

Edited by alexisj9

9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Storm is in north sea now plus high tides, may be expecting storm surge. 

Hope someone shuts the flood gates around the island too 

• Like 1

98mph Gust from somewhere, still ahead of the squall which if anything is pulling away from here slightly. 

• Like 2

Seems to have been a change in direction then, been waiting for the squall line, but it seems to be moving in an easterly direction now

Wind is worst it been all day. Trampoline blown to end of garden 

• Like 1