South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

19 minutes ago, tinybill said:

its  a  bit  windy!!!  but  what happened  to therain!

I woke up at 4:30 and could see 'something' blowing in the street lamp. Could tell it's windier but at the moment wouldn't say it's any different to any other wind/rain storm i've experienced. I'm assuming as the main band of rain is up north that's coming down south as all we have here is very light rain.(and a very worried sooty who can't make the windy trees out)

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Wow, don’t see that in summer here, let alone winter. Could well be some very severe conditions with any squall lines that develop. Also interesting to read that these lines may reach the Czech Republic by Monday. Here in Prague it has been a beautiful, calm and sunny weekend, it’s currently -2°C with blue skies this morning, the calm before the storm. My Mum in Ashford, Middlesex says that the wind is already crazy there, this morning. 

Yeah its pretty windy outside now can hear the gusts around the house.. Quite a few squall lines showing up now to and these will enhance the wind gusts I think locally gusting around 54mph

• Like 1

Quite windy out West London way but fortunately nothing too bad at the moment. I'm sure we've had worse with less warnings and media attention in the past,  that said, it does look like it could get interesting a bit later.

Given that the amber warning only kicked in at 8am and that the strongest winds aren’t forecasted until early afternoon, I think we can safely say that we’re in for a wild day. 

• Like 2

To my untrained ? it looks as though the trajectory of the storm has shifted 100 miles further north than expected and so doubtful now that we’ll see wind gusts much above 50-55 mph in London area which is fairly unremarkable (at least when compared to the 60-70mph gusts inland that had been projected under the amber warning ?)

dont  know what the gfs  been drinking on the pub run  but there certain  some very interesting  weather coming for the next few  days!!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Not seeing anything to suggest any changes. The worst of the winds across southern Britain will likely be later this afternoon with a squall line expected to move through. Expecting sporadic 70-75mph gusts inland between 15:00 and 18:00.

This is the latest from Nick L in the storm thread having looked at the latest data from the UKV. No suggestion of a change in the track of the storm. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Snow Shoes said:

To my untrained ? it looks as though the trajectory of the storm has shifted 100 miles further north than expected and so doubtful now that we’ll see wind gusts much above 50-55 mph in London area which is fairly unremarkable (at least when compared to the 60-70mph gusts inland that had been projected under the amber warning ?)

Have you any evidence to back that up ? 

• Like 2

Just been out to walk the dog, memories of when I lived in Islay came flooding back. Rain coming at you horizontally and gusts that actually move you  ?

Edited by Oaks
19 minutes ago, Snow Shoes said:

Looks like it's on course to me, amber warnings in force from 9am till 9pm tonight, wind will get stronger, estofex have a level 2 alert issued, rare enough in the summer, let alone winter, expect the winds to get even stronger when a squall line passes through, going to be an interesting day

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

@SenlacJack How is it around Hastings?

Nothing out of the ordinary here so far LL. I was woken around 2.30am by the wind howling but if anything it's eased quite a bit this morning. As others have mentioned though the worst of the weather is not expected to reach us here until later on this afternoon/evening.

Annoyingly the anenometer at Herstmonceux appears to have developed a fault and has stopped recording wind gusts recently. I always use that site to keep records since it's the nearest official weather station to me. ( approx 11 miles ).

• Like 1

Gusts have definitely picked up in the last half an hour here in Herts. The garden fence is already looking like it’s struggling... 

3 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Please can all posters indicate their location.

Go to your profile at top right of page and add or amend. Thanks. 

And also include it in the actual post, those tablets and mobiles the location doesn't show even if it's set in the profile.

Picking up here in Boxley (Maidstone), Bluebell Hill was moving but slight caution. I expect a few trees will be down around here later.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Have you any evidence to back that up ? 

It was just supposition based on the fact that the main rain area had shifted so far north and also because my met office app has been showing a gradual reduction in peak /mean speeds for today (at least for south-west London )