Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
28 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Wow I didn’t even notice until I saw your post , that sprung from nowhere . This is the scene looking to my Northwest .  A Monster .

FA3AB211-05E4-49A5-9D31-47BBD9443260.jpeg

Thought I heard the sound of distant thunder as we took the dog out at 8.30 but decided I'd imagined it. Then, as you say, noticed these to the north and north east of here and yep, a good few rumbles accompanied us from that cell all those miles away. Very warm and muggy this evening.

• Like 2

Posted

Got excited as there were rumbles in the Channel and a cell heading this way. But, shocking I know, it’s fizzling and heading away from me.
Doomed for a decent storm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
10 hours ago, Coopsy said:

Sounds perfect (and a description fit for a novel) - love it. 

For the heat lovers out there. If you’re missing it already here’s real heat...38oC at 4am with a forecast high of 52oC

52BC982C-AA57-4A35-BD89-FA0822835315.png

Thank you Coopsy.  Having been a N-W member since 2005 and someone who rarely reveals personal information, I have to admit that since I became very ill with the Covid virus in early April I’ve experienced recurrent periods of exhaustion and struggled with concentration, or even being able to form coherent sentences and certainly struggled to recall things that I’d previously taken for granted. Yet today reading your experience of autumn and asking what triggered this beautiful season for others, it opened up for me the first coherent and crystal clear sense, for a very long time, of what my favourite season has always meant to me - so thank you for triggering that.  Apologies Mods, off thread but no disrespect intended.  Can report a maximum rain rate during this afternoon’s intense storm of 98.4 at 15:08 contributing to a total of 25.8mm today. 

Edited by Soaring Hawk
Typed rainfall incorrectly
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, lottiekent said:

Got excited as there were rumbles in the Channel and a cell heading this way. But, shocking I know, it’s fizzling and heading away from me.
Doomed for a decent storm!

Same it's really quite amazing from how far away we could here those rumbles though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Happy for all you guys who saw some action today but still nowt here but a few spots of rain....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Oh this is a lovely surprise, fog! It looks like autumn outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Thick fog here earlier whch has now lifted leaving a misty if some what orange sky, still feels stormy and humid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The Beeb's app has replaced all of today's thundery showers with light showers... I'll take that as a positive!:yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The low cloud is already starting to break up, much easier to do when the wind is blowing from the south. Today still looks warm and humid so hopefully so more thunderstorms today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Foggy start here in South Suffolk too. I thought I had been propelled into Autumn when I opened the curtains!

I wouldn't be surprised if this August ends up in the 'wetter' category. Certainly some torrential rain about yesterday and it seems to have been very soggy around Thetford Forest up in south Norfolk:

Netwx Extra radar totals: 450638559_NetwxRainfallTotalSat16Aug.thumb.png.e122378b4ea7e6d1880cffbb2e772291.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

The sun has come out here for the first time in a few days, that should help bubble the old clouds up.

Posted

I usually associate bright billowing white clouds with  towers, the ones going up SW of me are very dark indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

View from Reigate Hill looking South West, some nice towers shooting up and a storm heading on from Horsham direction.

20200817_102107.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Looks like storms biulding quickly south of London and moving north.

Posted

Like most else that approaches the Dartford Crossing, the storms are losing the will to live!

• Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Soaring Hawk said:

Thank you Coopsy.  Having been a N-W member since 2005 and someone who rarely reveals personal information, I have to admit that since I became very ill with the Covid virus in early April I’ve experienced recurrent periods of exhaustion and struggled with concentration, or even being able to form coherent sentences and certainly struggled to recall things that I’d previously taken for granted. Yet today reading your experience of autumn and asking what triggered this beautiful season for others, it opened up for me the first coherent and crystal clear sense, for a very long time, of what my favourite season has always meant to me - so thank you for triggering that.  Apologies Mods, off thread but no disrespect intended.  Can report a maximum rain rate during this afternoon’s intense storm of 98.4 at 15:08 contributing to a total of 25.8mm today. 

Thank you for sharing though - that's quite a scary scenario, but I'm very pleased to hear that your recovery continues and this has helped in some way. I think the weather is such a powerful thing that has the ability to stimulate all of our senses, and as such can evoke such strong memories and feelings. And has clearly helped in this instance. I wish you a speedy recovery - and for all of those autumn senses to be realised this year (along with a foot of snow  )

Oh and I'm a fellow '05 class member

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Warm sunny spells in Eastbourne, feeling fresher than previous days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Plenty of thunder coming from that cell to my north-west! Grrrr. 

Edited by weathertoski

Posted

20.9 here after an overnight low of 16.8, cloud cover 8/8 and humidity is at 81%.

This time last week it was 10c hotter - i don't miss it, 23-25c is perfect for me.

Just heard a distant rumble in the distance - radar showing a rapidly growing cell just to the south east of Barnet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Just heard a couple of rumbles here in South Woodham. I hope there's more to come!