Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Tony111 said:

Climate change !?. I recall the 80s and 90s storms along the south coast. Violent storms and torrential rain from France. Now we seem to get murky drizzle. I recall the snow drifts too in winter, now just fable to have happened.

I would think so, yes: it seems as if plumes have gotten so big, these past few years, that all the associated peripheral storms have ended up in Scotland...? The 'glory days', when one or two hot days were invariably followed by a heat low and a cold front, coming up from the SW (who recalls late June 1974?) seem to be well and truly over!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Kent seems crap for homegrown storms and totally reliant on French imports.  Normally all I have to do is drive to the coast but might have to go west as the Pet Shop Boys advised.

That sausage shaped Moderate area in Hampshire looks inviting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Very murky here and humid , it looks like the storms will be more wide spread and getting going a lot earlier today.

Posted

Had the air con on all night yet again, the heat is getting unbearable. Woke up and noticed it had rained at some point. If the area info on my fan is correct the humidity here must be some sort of new record for Ashford.

CC0D3866-4906-42D5-8684-89D9E4B293F7.png

Edited by k66yla
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
20 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I would think so, yes: it seems as if plumes have gotten so big, these past few years, that all the associated peripheral storms have ended up in Scotland...? The 'glory days', when one or two hot days were invariably followed by a heat low and a cold front, coming up from the SW (who recalls late June 1974?) seem to be well and truly over!

I don’t remember 1974 as I was only a toddler but those ‘classic’ hot spells followed by violent thunderstorms occurred quite frequently for the region back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. A flabby heat low with a cold front moving up from the SW always gave the best storms, although sometimes they’d come in from the SE and could be particularly vicious (roofs blown off from lightning strikes). 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I don’t remember 1974 as I was only a toddler but those ‘classic’ hot spells followed but violent thunderstorms occurred quite frequently for the region back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. A flabby heat low with a cold front moving up from the SW always gave the best storms, although sometimes they’d come in from the SE and could be particularly vicious (roofs blown off from lightning strikes). 

Hello, SB...Yes, that was a stonker: from clear blue skies (I even thought I could photosynthisise back then!:olddoh:) to C-G lightning in less than one hour!

Where oh where have all our thunderstorms gone!?

Posted

That band is moving through Hitchin now and I'm afraid it's just rain. Fairly heavy, but rain. It couldn't be described as a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It’s so dark here I can’t believe it!

This picture doesn’t do it justice due to camera light filters etc, but the outside lights at work have come on as it’s like sunset levels of darkness. Eerie.

8A734A79-025A-4E11-9314-E28151EA6728.thumb.jpeg.be44e5168512abab7ad415cd680371fb.jpeg

Posted

Just 0.8mm of rain the total from last night. And another tropical night with the min 20.3C

Feeling hot again this morning now, already at 26.4C, but more cloud around, and a breeze from the NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Still flippin' dry here...missed what storms which were to the north,

Had just a couple of minutes of rain in SWF while I jealously looked at that storm to the north. So at least I got something.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Seems the rain and the storms jumped Kent and north of us is getting the goods. It's just cruel now

Something needs to change in the atmosphere for anything South of Ashford to get in on todays action,we are importing no end of detritus off the continent at the moment,large banks of cloud and decaying cells arriving on the coast as drizzle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Still stormless after 6 days of low to mid 30s and potentially another 30 day coming up. More chance of pigs flying than storms initiating SE of London. 

• Like 3

Posted

Don't think this is a very accurate measurement but I left a bucket out in the garden after emptying the paddling pool last night and there is now 15mm of water in it, after the storm earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, loubylou2905 said:

It's more like 4pm in winter here at the moment it's so dark!! Not heard any thunder yet...

I'm sure it's similar elsewhere too....but i don't remember it being so dark from a storm for a long time. More like a solar eclipse!

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Still stormless after 6 days of low to mid 30s and potentially another 30 day coming up. More chance of pigs flying than storms initiating SE of London. 

633 Squadron? image.png.6fe049d241d60647015439ff8af75ad7.png :oldgrin:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well taking the boy down to Essex, thick low cloud and fog down to Stansted and then suddenly rain, then lightning and then the heavens opened. Absolute carnage on the M11 as the road flooded.

In South Woodham Ferrers and the sun is out. Still the storm took me completely off guard.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Lovely storm just passed by - soo cool and wet (-:

More later pleeeze

Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 09.58.49.png

Posted

Day has just turned to night here in Longstanton, Cambs  suspecting we could be slammed imminently by a nice storm! About time 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, can’t believe how dark it is in Cambs. That band of rain coming from the south looks nasty