IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

32c here in Twickenham 

Edited by Snow Shoes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I am going to be very disappointed if we don't get at least one storm out of all of this heat. Worst year I can remember for storms in this area. Not even one rumble.

I'm working right on the coast in Great Yarmouth today and it's much more bearable, but it's going to be another tough night for sleeping.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Given the 0% chance of storms (or rain for that matter) in EA - I'm embracing the heat. 30C? Pah! Crank it up a bit I say! 

#AirconIsForWimps #HardCoreHeatLover #BarbadianBlood

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

All this moaning about the heat, its like we get it for months on end which we don't, unlike other poor souls in other countries, and its not that bad,should be getting used to it a little by now. 

We've got a six week old so there's plenty to moan about, and with justification too. The recommendation is babies should sleep in rooms which are 16-18 degrees to lower the chances of cot death, last night the lowest it ever got inside with all windows open and a fan going was 28. It's been a miserable time here for all of us and the constant promises from the forecasters of an end which then doesn't come is becoming rather tiresome.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
59 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Other poor souls actually have AC built in their homes. Mate no one in London is enjoying this well some may be but it’s horrible in capital without AC to 12th in central average maximum is 30C and average low is 17.4C my average low in Rotherhithe is 18C. The mean is over 5C above average simply outrageous, we haven’t seen similar anomalies since extreme December 2015 and that was unprecedented but second half of August likely to be much cooler so expect the anomaly to lessen somewhat still bound to be notably warm.

21750EC0-187C-45D6-9685-77F101752DFC.thumb.png.5e25bcd133b8c09e0bb6a220cb1fbd84.png

My  middle son is a "self employed" electrician which means he has to get work where he can. In the construction industry you generally do not have a choice to being self employed. That work companies do not have to pay holiday or sick pay or redundancy, although operatives often work for the same firm for years, He even has to pay £20 a week to a payroll company to process his wages from his net salary.

He is currently working in a new development in Canary Wharf. The company is Chinese and the project is the construction of luxury flats. He is working on one of the top floors, the 50th I believe he told me when I saw him the other day. Due to the height of the building it is designed so that none of the upper stories windows are openable, there  is much glazing and blinds/curtains have yet to be installed. Also the air conditioning is to be commissioned and therefore unavailable, 

I don't envy him working in such conditions, but the way things are these days he has to tell himself that he is fortunate to have a job.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Some clouds developing over London now. Met Office graphics has storms breaking out around 2pm..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Down in Eastbourne. Hazy sunshine 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

All this moaning about the heat, its like we get it for months on end which we don't, unlike other poor souls in other countries, and its not that bad,should be getting used to it a little by now. 

Don't worry in a few months it be late Autumn early Winter, with Weeks of dreary depressing weather with little or no sun and horrid drizzle, with little prospect of it becoming deep, crisp and even, under deep blue skies when you wake up. 

How riveting The Winter season is in the UK. Not!! 

Almost 1000 people have died every year in 2018 and 2019 as a direct result of heatwaves in the UK. That doesn’t include all the hospital admission due to respiratory issues. That means as we speak people are dying from this heatwave. It’ll be a bit difficult for them to get used to it.

It’s easy to be flippant when it’s perceived to be a week of hot weather and we’ll be back to rain soon enough. For some this is life or death. For the majority such as us it’s a temporary discomfort.

Spending time with the elderly and vulnerable you see it all too often in this type of set up.

Just saying that there’s a side to every argument   

(sorry to be a debbie downer as they say but seeing it first hand makes me a little passionate about it - that’s why I bang on about air con to anyone who’s suffering - for £200 it could save your life) 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I was hoping to pop down to the coast very late this afternoon to cool off in the sea, be a shame if my trip is scuppered by thunderstorms as I've been waiting for this chance since the heatwave started, but then again, love a storm too - dilemma

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Sun is finally back out in Dover, should clear from anywhere else effected soon hopefully. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Just turnes the hose on myself and now sitting in front of a fan. Feeling momentarily cool enough despite 35.7°C from my weather station outside. Keeping everything crossed for NE Hants to get a hit tonight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

It's bad enough with a respitory condition such as asthma, add on this prolonged heat and having wear face masks at times makes this spell hideous for a number of people including myself, anyway bring on the storms and relieve us of this excessive heat.  

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Almost 1000 people have died every year in 2018 and 2019 as a direct result of heatwaves in the UK. That means as we speak people are dying from this heatwave. It’ll be a bit difficult for them to get used to it.

It’s easy to be flippant when it’s perceived to be a week of hot weather and we’ll be back to rain soon enough. For some this is life or death. For the majority such as us it’s a temporary discomfort.

Spending time with the elderly and vulnerable you see it all too often in this type of set up.

Very true, my husband is not doing very well in this heat at all. I'm only just coping myself. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, thunderpants said:

It's bad enough with a respitory condition such as asthma, add on this prolonged heat and having wear face masks at times makes this spell hideous for a number of people including myself, anyway bring on the storms and relieve us of this excessive heat.  

I really we hope we get rewarded for putting up with this heat with some good storms. It’s like enduring freezing temperature and never seeing the snow 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Very true, my husband is not doing very well in this heat at all. I'm only just coping myself. 

I’m sorry to hear that. So many people suffer in silence during the heat. If air con isn’t viable due to cost, ice in front of a fan is great. Plus lots of ice lollies my mum is suffering quite badly so we are keeping an eye on her. (She doesn’t stay in front of the air con unit - stubborn! ) lol

Only a few more days to go - before that hopefully lots of  ⛈ 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Coopsy said:

I’m sorry to hear that. So many people suffer in silence during the heat. If air con isn’t viable due to cost, ice in front of a fan is great. Plus lots of ice lollies my mum is suffering quite badly so we are keeping an eye on her. Only a few more days to go - before that hopefully lots of  ⛈ 

I might try that thanks. 

• Like 1

Posted

Any chance of storms for the region today, I live in the infamous mid essex storm shield so I have no hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
16 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Almost 1000 people have died every year in 2018 and 2019 as a direct result of heatwaves in the UK. That doesn’t include all the hospital admission due to respiratory issues. That means as we speak people are dying from this heatwave. It’ll be a bit difficult for them to get used to it.

(sorry to be a debbie downer as they say but seeing it first hand makes me a little passionate about it - that’s why I bang on about air con to anyone who’s suffering) 

Its the best thing to have, the units do hot, cold and just blowing air so multi purpose and very efficient.

I suffer from the heat days and have to work out in it a lot, nothing better than coming back into cool air to get your core body temp down and lovely nights sleep.

Thats a very interesting stat there, 1000 every year die due to heatwaves, brings into perspective the current few deaths of a certain thing going around this summer.

• Like 1

Posted

@Coopsy, what aircon unit do you have?  I was saying to my husband yesterday we should invest in one but want recommendations before splashing any cash!

Posted
26 minutes ago, snow raven said:

@Coopsy, what aircon unit do you have?  I was saying to my husband yesterday we should invest in one but want recommendations before splashing any cash!

We’ve got perm air con now as it was so effective we thought why not. But before that we got a unit from b and q for about £180 about 3 years ago. I’ve still got it so I’ll check for you but I think they are improving every year regarding noise and efficiency. Best time is probably autumn for a deal. 

The one I got my parents this year was the Takoma from b and q. It’s 9000BTU (I think it’s good for about 250sq feet)  and works really well. Annoyingly I paid about £260 and it’s under £200 now. It’s a bit noisy (as they mostly are) about 60dB but I used to turn mine off just before bed and the room stayed cool most of the night 

@Daniel* what do you think of them. (He’s just bought one ) 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted

Up to 32.3c now but a few more high level clouds around now, but not of the rain bearing type. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

This is from the storm thread. Possibly looking very interesting for much of the region later?

86F8DB5C-F754-4F49-B047-9DF96DAF33D8.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

MO already had loads storms breaking out by now.

Latest radar shows nothing and sat pics show very little proper cloud.

Are they delayed or are the dynamics not working for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just seen the BBC lunchtime weather with Chris Fawkes...still looks very underwhelming in this region (though he did harp on about the fact rain could be torrential if you got some), could be the odd storm tonight but they looked like decaying or moving away westwards, Thursday has defo been downgraded with little in the way of convective activity towards East Anglia, Friday looks like more widespread but by then wouldn't at all surprise me to see more cloud cover and steady rain as opposed to T-storms.

Just my take on it...hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

• Like 2

Doesn't look great for our region to be honest, but never was really foretasted to be in the first place. AROME has a few cells that may pop up but I imagine they won't be up to much. Better to expect nothing, switch off the radar and open up a cold beer in the garden and be pleasantly surprised if something does happen.